Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: creating a partition PC  (Read 3100 times)

kingscurate

creating a partition PC
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:03:36 am »

Gents,trying to create a simple partition on HDD.  Its a 500gb hdd i want to put a 150gb partition on. Looked on windows help, it said go through disk management, which ive tried and got nowhere as the option to do a simple partition doesnt appear.

Any help

Cheers
I aint a pro

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: creating a partition PC
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:59 am »

The option won't appear if your disk is already partitioned and using all the available space.  You'll need to delete the volume and then build your partitions from there.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

degrub

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:21:32 am »

if it is a disk used for data, then copy the files off the drive to another media(drive, flash, cd, etc). Then in disk mgmt, delete the volume and re-partition it. copy the data files back.
If it is your OS drive, you want to find some software that will shrink the existing partion so you can add a new one. Or you can clone the drive with software that will allow you to move the partition to a smaller one on the restore.

Frank

jalcocer

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:41:05 am »

If it is windows you are in, go to disk management, select the partition and right click on it, there should appear an option for resizing, set the final space you want in the existing partition and after that you'll get the rest available to create the new one. If you don't have enough space available to free up the amount you want, you'll need to save your files to another drive temporarily and erase it on the disk so you can free up more space, and then just copy everything back to the new created partition. Hope this helps.

Another option is to use an app for this, there are some you can use, one I use a lot is a boot cd for the app Gparted.

kingscurate

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:23:33 am »

Many thanks everyone.

Jalcocer, i did it your way. Although it has appeared as a volume rather than a partition, whether it makes any difference i dont know yet.
I aint a pro

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »

kingscurate

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:55:18 pm »

So at moment ive created a volume on my original c drive. Im using acronis true image 2010(newly installed) and new to me. I have already done a clone disk and a back up yesterday. So if i reformat my hard drive and create a partition at windows install, how do i get back to where i am now? If that makes sense. Ive looked at true image help but its not really helpful.

Many thanks
I aint a pro

degrub

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:12 pm »

can you just restore the clone and tell Acronis to make and use a smaller partition ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up