Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abelardo Morell - A true original?  (Read 5506 times)

Dinarius

Abelardo Morell - A true original?
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:08:03 pm »

I thought I was reasonably conversant with the history of photography and its major players.

Last Sunday, on a trip to London, I was browsing in the bookshop of the Victoria and Albert Museum whose photography room (recently rehung and well worth a visit) I had just visited. I came across a book of images by Abelardo Morell.

To my shame, I had never heard of this true original!  :-[

Since my return, I have been reading avidly about him.

The work is painterly, poetic, witty, and profoundly metaphoric. Technically, it is both intriguing (for a photographer) and enchanting. It is also, in a world dominated by CS5, hugely refreshing in its use of traditional (large format) materials. I just love it!

I want the book Camera Obscura, if only for this one image, which I assume is in it........

http://www.abelardomorell.net/photography/recent_01/recent_01.html

One technical point: in most of the camera obscura images, the outside scene appears upside down on the wall of the room, as one would expect. But, in a few, it appears upright. How does he achieve this?

Here is a link to his gallery. The Brooklyn Bridge images are sublime (and upright!)

http://www.bonnibenrubi.com/Abelardo-Morell_artwork.html

I may have discovered someone on a par (for me) with Penn (who is my photographic hero) and Jeanloup Sieff, another photographer who made a huge impression on me.

The trip to London was worth it!

D.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:09:30 am by Dinarius »

Rob C

Re: Abelardo Morell - A true original?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »

I may have discovered someone on a par (for me) with Penn (who is my photographic hero) and Jeanloup Sieff, another photographer who made a huge impression on me.

D.

Agree absolutely about Jeanloup; would add Haskins, Feurer, Horvat, Giacobetti and Moon (early) to my own list. As good as it ever got.

Rob C

MrSmith

Re: Abelardo Morell - A true original?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »

no aesthetic sensibilities, just the results of of an artisan playing with photographic tools.
no real talent except perhaps self publicity/promotion.

that's my view, no doubt others think differently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up