Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which LF Camera? Linhof / Sinar / Arca Swiss / Toyo / Zone VI?  (Read 9071 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Which LF Camera? Linhof / Sinar / Arca Swiss / Toyo / Zone VI?
« on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:40 pm »

I'm new to large format. I have had some chances to play with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and enjoyed the experience and want to get some sort of large format camera. I either want a 4x5 or an 8x10.

One question I have is, I liked working with the polaroid back instead of using my mfdb or something to check exposure, so, is it possible to get an 8x10 polaroid (using a reducing back to 4x5), and if this happens will the preview accurately depict what I will be getting in my final image in terms of field of view? thats the 4x5 or 8x10 question.

Second is, I want to work with it in the field, and my style generally involves trying to work fairly quickly one I decide to do something, so simpler is better (also fewer places I can screw up)....so the question becomes, which camera to get? I want to get a nice one, because thats my preference, so I'm looking at Linhof / Sinar / Arca / Toyo / Zone VI, I'm looking on ebay for one, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Which LF Camera? Linhof / Sinar / Arca Swiss / Toyo / Zone VI?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 06:26:36 am »

I'm new to large format. I have had some chances to play with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and enjoyed the experience and want to get some sort of large format camera. I either want a 4x5 or an 8x10.

One question I have is, I liked working with the polaroid back instead of using my mfdb or something to check exposure, so, is it possible to get an 8x10 polaroid (using a reducing back to 4x5), and if this happens will the preview accurately depict what I will be getting in my final image in terms of field of view? thats the 4x5 or 8x10 question.

Second is, I want to work with it in the field, and my style generally involves trying to work fairly quickly one I decide to do something, so simpler is better (also fewer places I can screw up)....so the question becomes, which camera to get? I want to get a nice one, because thats my preference, so I'm looking at Linhof / Sinar / Arca / Toyo / Zone VI, I'm looking on ebay for one, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's a long time since I used a 5x4 camera, but I don't quite understand the Polaroid question.  Do you mean using a 10x8 polaroid on a 5x4 back?  Because if you do the image will be accurate I should think - but why not use a 5x4 Polaroid.  And of course if you mean a 5x4 Polaroid on a 10x8 camera - you will only see half the image!  Or have I misunderstood your question.

Jim

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:11:43 am »

If you want to work "fairly quickly," stay away from LF. No matter how much practice you've had, there are so many things that can and will go wrong if you work in a hurry or even quickly. This even if you just want to bracket shots, but especially if you work with movements or move around to catch the light from different angles.

I use B&W polaroids on my 4x5 Gowlandflex to check exposure, although I also use a digital camera for chimping. The polaroids are from The Impossible Project, and come in a cartridge of 10 exposures (I think). The image area is 72x94mm or so, so it's slightly smaller than 4x5 and not suitable for judging framing - only for exposure. Fuji used to have quickload polaroids in 4x5, but I believe they have been discontinued.

I have no experience with 8x10 cameras or polaroids.

If you don't get the answers you're looking for here, you will get those on largeformatphotography.info forums which is dedicated to LF film.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:41:41 am »

I would recommend Ebony.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

I believe that their non folding type is the closest thing to a 4x5 camera that can be used in the field quickly.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

Cheers,
Bernard

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 11:57:49 am »

Sort of OT, but IMO there is no need to use a Polaroid back to check exposure if you are using a good spot meter, especially if you are shooting negative.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 01:32:57 pm »

I shopped for a LF camera over the summer for a project to shoot mostly 4x5 polaroids with.  I ended up with a Speed graphic.  Why?  Because you can use the rangefinder to focus but still have some movements, its cheap, a bit lighter than the Linhof, has a focal plane shutter too so you can use any kind of lens, and a grafloc back to take the fuji fp-45 pack film back.   
Rolleiflex USA

RawheaD

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »

FP shutter was the big thing for me; with it, I get to shoot with an Aero Ektar 178/2.5 :-)  Pacemaker Speed Graphic all the way.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:10 pm »

Monorail with fill movements front & rear: Arca-Swiss FC & M series, or Sinar P2.

I am recommending these three because they have yaw-free tilt & swing, rise, fall and shift. Yaw free movements make a huge difference in working with complex movements. The Arca-Swiss FC cameras are great for location and studio use. The other two are near 100% studio camera due to their size and weight.

Technical folders: Linhof Technika 45s, Canham DLC, or Ebony. With a nod towards the Canham for rigidity, very wide lens range (58 -720mm) without needing to add extra rails or change bellows, and rigidity at all extensions.

Wooden field camera: Canham

Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »

Based on your current gear list, it looks like you wouldn't mind spending a bit of money to get a decent large format camera.  :)

I went through about 5-10 different large format cameras before finding what I believe to be the best combination of rigidity, portability, light weight, ease of use, accuracy, etc. I honestly believe this is the best 4x5 field camera available at any price... (pay close attention to the specifications, since there are a lot of configurations available out there)

Arca Swiss 4x5 Field
110mm front standard (6x9 size)
141mm rear standard
30cm Conical leather bellows
30cm Telescoping rail
Micrometric Orbix geared front tilt

With the telescoping rail and the 30cm bellows, you can can shoot lenses between 47mm and 360mm. You can put both standards together on one of the small 15cm rail segments, then detach it from the main rail to make it much more compact and portable. Total weight is right at 6lbs if I remember correctly. The camera looks like this:

Man I miss that camera! :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:45:48 pm by Sheldon N »
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:52:37 am »

... I want to work with it in the field, and my style generally involves trying to work fairly quickly one I decide to do something, so simpler is better (also fewer places I can screw up)....

I suggest to take a look at Shen-Hao, for 4x5 their TFC-IIB which is what I have. It is a non folder which makes it simple as breeze to set up. Having recent sold off nearly all of five camera systems, it is the one item of those that I have kept. While I do not use the Shen-Hao more I keep it because it is a lovely camera and looks traditional. I do much enjoy working with it and may eventually end up getting a Shen-Hao 6x9 in future to be adapted for my digital back! My TFC45-IIB will be for decoration and a novelty piece of art  ;). I have updated it with a Maxwell screen which is very bright.

Have a look:  shen-hao.com

TFC-IIB, weight 1.7kg

Best regards,
Anders
Pages: [1]   Go Up