Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup files overwritten with LR3?  (Read 3892 times)

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »

I have LR3 set up to do a catalog backup whenever I exit. While looking for something in the Finder I noticed that only the latest backup file (.lrcat) was present. That tells me that each backup is over-writing the current file. I seem to recall that LR2 saved each .lrcat file by date. Was that changed or is there a setting I need to change to keep the old back-up files. There have been times in the past when I needed to revert to a prior catalog.

Thanks.
Logged
Mark

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:49:04 pm »

Where are you having LR save the backup catalogs?

For me, the catalogs are being saved in the same location as the main catalog folder under a subfolder named 'Backups'. They are listed in folders based on the date of the backup.
Logged

john beardsworth

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4756
    • My photography site
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:59:47 am »

The backup catalogue folders are named not just with the date but with the date and time, just in case you make more than one backup a day.

Next time you close Lightroom, have a good look at where it is saving the backups. You're probably pointing Finder at the wrong folder.
Logged

howardm

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:58 am »

I've never seen LR overwrite a backup.  Any version.

That is usually surprising to new users who discover they have a zillion backups and wonder where their disk space went to.

You have to manually clean them out  (there should be a 'keep <N> backup versions' pref)

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:55:27 am »

Deleting Old Lightroom Backups (Windows version, anyway)

No, never seen LR overwrite a backup, myself.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:48:39 pm »

I backup to an external drive and up until now, the backups were at the very top of that drive's finder window, and in the expected format: "2011-11-17 2042" for date and time.  I just did a backup of this weekend's work and I now have 2 backup files, one from the 17th and one from today. I've searched all my drives including the trash and those files are not to be found. But at least I know they are not being overwritten.
Logged
Mark

NikoJorj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1083
    • http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:11 am »

You have to manually clean them out  (there should be a 'keep <N> backup versions' pref)
An alternative would be to have LR compress the backup files in a zip or rar container, these files compress to 5-10% of original size (500MB-35MB for me).
It would be safer than automatically delete backups...
Logged
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

Niko, I did not know that you could compress backup files from within LR3. How do you do that?
Logged
Mark

NikoJorj

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1083
    • http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: Backup files overwritten with LR3?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 06:19:09 am »

Sorry to have been unclear, I was proposing that as a feature request.
That said, this can do it http://thephotogeek.com/lightroom/lr-backup/ .
Logged
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up