Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andreas Gursky's Rhein II  (Read 155932 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Andreas Gursky's Rhein II
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »

you are not compelled to make up answers.
Not compelled, no, but no answer is often answer enough.
You didn't offer your answers to those questions -- and that's OK.
Why would I answer questions no one asked ?
Don't remember
You saw a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide by one the world's most famous photographers and you can't remember what you thought of it.

Isaac

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »

Not compelled, no, but no answer is often answer enough.

Your mistaken assumptions are just that -- yours.

Why would I answer questions no one asked ?

You asked them. I thought they might be questions that genuinely interested you.

You saw a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide by one the world's most famous photographers and you can't remember what you thought of it.

You already covered the obvious answer to what everyone thinks when they see a photo six feet high and over fourteen feet wide :-)

I guess you aren't going to say anything about globalization.

AFairley

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2013, 07:38:34 pm »

Still nobody home.....

Isaac

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »

No Back to topic fig leaf ?

Credit where it's due, only Ray seems to have had an informed opinion about Rhein II.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:59 pm »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang2

« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2013, 04:29:17 am »

This thread reminds me a little bit
The usual comments on Picasso:
"It's kid's paintings, anybody can do it"

Rob C

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2013, 05:18:24 am »

This thread reminds me of when tried to pull a stick out of a girlfriend's dog's mouth.  I pulled and he clamped down and resisted.  I'd pull harder, he'd clamp down and pull back harder, I'd lighten up, he'd relax. So we're standing there each pulling on the stick, and I looked into his eyes and there was absolutely no one at home.Back to topic, although IMO anyone who pays $4 million for a contemporary photograph has more money than sense, I expect the Gurskys are very impressive seen in person.  I understand that Eli Broad is quite a Gursky collector, so I am hoping there will a few on display at the Broad Museum when it opens next year.

We used to have a dog - an alsabrador - and about twenty-five or so cats all at the same time.

I used to play with the pooch on the beach; she'd pick up amazingly large branches and run with them, head up high.

I'd catch one end, start to swing, and within seconds she's be hanging on in space, going round and round as I spun. I can tell you: those eyes were never empty. You could read them, never more so than on the stormy morning that she died, across my knees on the cold kitchen floor after the vet gave her her last jab. Moments before she'd been standing stock still, head hanging, as my wife tried to speak to her as the vet got ready. She offered my wife her paw... None of us had empty eyes.

The cats? They were like their bigger cousins: inscrutable. Even with a pigeon under one paw.

Rob C

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »

g.

Such 'art' was never intended for mere mortals; maybe we should just smile and forget it; better still, provide it!

Rob C
+1 (emphasis mine)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

This thread reminds me of when tried to pull a stick out of a girlfriend's dog's mouth.  I pulled and he clamped down and resisted.  I'd pull harder, he'd clamp down and pull back harder, I'd lighten up, he'd relax. So we're standing there each pulling on the stick, and I looked into his eyes and there was absolutely no one at home.

Yet I'll wager the dog still had the stick in the end - so there must be some kind of moral in there somewhere I think  ;D

We used to have a dog - an alsabrador - and about twenty-five or so cats all at the same time.

I used to play with the pooch on the beach; she'd pick up amazingly large branches and run with them, head up high.

I'd catch one end, start to swing, and within seconds she's be hanging on in space, going round and round as I spun. I can tell you: those eyes were never empty. You could read them, never more so than on the stormy morning that she died, across my knees on the cold kitchen floor after the vet gave her her last jab. Moments before she'd been standing stock still, head hanging, as my wife tried to speak to her as the vet got ready. She offered my wife her paw... None of us had empty eyes.

The cats? They were like their bigger cousins: inscrutable. Even with a pigeon under one paw.

Rob C

Rob, been there, done that and cried like a baby for weeks after, we would love another mutt, but it is just too heart rending at the end  :'(

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »

Perhaps LuLa needs a new Forum area, perhaps called "Dogs and Sticks." Then this thread, and a few others, might appropriately be moved there.   ;D  ::)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Isaac

« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2013, 08:38:59 pm »

Perhaps called Sticks & Stones.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2013, 08:47:33 pm »

Or Old Dogs, No New Tricks?

WalterEG

« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2013, 08:51:49 pm »

Or Old Dogs, No New Tricks?

What a gem!!  I love it!

W

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2013, 03:34:56 am »

Yet I'll wager the dog still had the stick in the end - so there must be some kind of moral in there somewhere I think  ;D

Rob, been there, done that and cried like a baby for weeks after, we would love another mutt, but it is just too heart rending at the end  :'(Dave

We had two over the years, and your reason for final non-replacement mirrored ours. I'd love another large one now, but with my wife gone, myself with health issues and little youth left, it wouldn't be fair to the animal when I go.

The experience of returning to an empty property, no welcoming barks, was devasting. As is the sense of uncertainty now, without the early-warning system that a light-sleeping guard provides... having a ground-floor apartment, every time I dump myself down on the typist chair at the computer I find myself having to lock the terrace doors. You just never know who's going to wander around looking like a gardener, a plumber or a meter reader and be none of those. Or even just loose kids. They are quite often feral.

Rob C

mezzoduomo

« Reply #175 on: July 26, 2013, 09:48:59 am »

We had two over the years, and your reason for final non-replacement mirrored ours. I'd love another large one now, but with my wife gone, myself with health issues and little youth left, it wouldn't be fair to the animal when I go.

The experience of returning to an empty property, no welcoming barks, was devasting. As is the sense of uncertainty now, without the early-warning system that a light-sleeping guard provides... having a ground-floor apartment, every time I dump myself down on the typist chair at the computer I find myself having to lock the terrace doors. You just never know who's going to wander around looking like a gardener, a plumber or a meter reader and be none of those. Or even just loose kids. They are quite often feral.

Rob C

Rob, I think you should get yourself a dog...maybe a smaller one this time.
You could lay some plans for the dog's future should something happen to you.  The dog will adjust very well to new circumstances, at least that's been my experience.

Rob C

« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:32 am »

Rob, I think you should get yourself a dog...maybe a smaller one this time.
You could lay some plans for the dog's future should something happen to you.  The dog will adjust very well to new circumstances, at least that's been my experience.

How do I replace this tower of strength, teeth and fierce family love?

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:04:27 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2013, 11:16:22 am »

You can't, Rob. We went through the same thing. Had a beautiful, motherly Dobe, and what a friend named one day when I was walking the dogs: "Oh, you have one of those." We finally had to put down the "one of those" when her hip aplasia became so painful that she couldn't walk. Then, one evening the Dobe unexpectedly put her nose on my lap and said, "I love you," went to my wife and said the same thing, went outside through her doggie door and, as soon as she got outside, had a heart attack or a stroke. You can't replace dogs like those, though you might be able to find a new love.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2013, 12:08:50 pm »

You can't, Rob. We went through the same thing. Had a beautiful, motherly Dobe, and what a friend named one day when I was walking the dogs: "Oh, you have one of those." We finally had to put down the "one of those" when her hip aplasia became so painful that she couldn't walk. Then, one evening the Dobe unexpectedly put her nose on my lap and said, "I love you," went to my wife and said the same thing, went outside through her doggie door and, as soon as she got outside, had a heart attack or a stroke. You can't replace dogs like those, though you might be able to find a new love.

+1!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up