Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture Library - save JPGs instead of TIFF files created by edit with plugins  (Read 11760 times)

marcov

I often do a series of edits for an image and end up with up to a dozen versions, each corresponding to a different "look". This works beautifully if I only edit the master with Aperture. However, if I use a plugin, to edit a file (in a managed library) Aperture automatically creates and then saves a TIFF copy of the edited file. As far as I know, I can only specify this saved file format to be PSD or TIFF (but not JPG) in the Aperture Preferences, and only for a single external editor.  Obviously, with a TIFF file saved for each version, I end up using up a lot of space. I'd rather have these versions saved as JPGs, mostly to save storage space (I have close to 70,000 files).

I know I can export the saved version files as JPGs, delete the versions created by the plugins, then import the exported JPGs back into the library, associate them with the master and stack them. This is a lot of extra work that could be easily avoided if there was a way to specify that the versions created by the many plugins I use should be JPGS, not TIFFs (or PSDs).

So, here's my question, is there a way to do this, either via some hidden settings, or some other way that eliminates the export/import burden?

JohnNewman

As far as I know, there is not any alternative to the workflow you have mentioned.  I've used NIK plug-ins and export full size JPEGs, re-import them and delete the TIFFs.  I think (but am open to correction) that Lightroom is just the same.

Sorry that I can't be more help.

Regards

John

ludwigmerz

Hey,
did you find any solution for the "big" TIFF-Files created with plugins in Aperture?

Thanks!

Ludwig

swandy

Hey,
did you find any solution for the "big" TIFF-Files created with plugins in Aperture?

Thanks!

Ludwig
I have been using Aperture and the Nik pluggins and have read about this on other forums also. I believe that since Aperture must export as a TIFF to the Nik software, that is why the plug ins send back a TIFF file. As was said, you just have to export as a full size JPEG, save that back to Aperture and delete the TIFF file. A bit of an annoyance, but as far as I know that is the only way to get rid of the TIFF file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up