Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fewer development the fine inkjet paper world?  (Read 1226 times)

narikin

Fewer development the fine inkjet paper world?
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:50:16 am »

Seems to have been ages since we've had any ground breaking inkjet papers revealed.

The Baryta's were a revelation when they first arrived, 4-6 years ago, and other than minor tweaking, remain favorites.
(Museo Silver Rag, Harman Gloss Baryta, Hahn PR Baryta, IGFS, Canson Baryta, Innova FibaPrint, EEF, etc)

In the last 2 years we have seen the focus on Ultra Smooth matte-art MK papers, which are great for those who love no reflection matte surfaces, and can deal with their lack of surface durability and reduced contrast range, but of little interest to the PK photo crowd.

But that was 2005-2009, and nothing noteworthy has appeared since then.  Platine was the last paper I sat up and paid attention to, in spring 2009. Is this simply the maturing of the inkjet paper market, with less breakthrough products likely, or what am I missing here?

michael

Re: Fewer development the fine inkjet paper world?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:24 am »

You will also notice that there haven't been any huge developments in inks recently either.

Printing technology is now pretty mature, and better than it's ever been. We're now off the steep curve of the hockey stick and the shoulder will just get flatter and flatter until something unanticipated comes along.

Enjoy the new "golden age" of photographic printing.

Michael

texshooter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:17:07 am »

i hear you.  200 varieties of paper of pretty much the same stuff. if the technology has petered out, one would think market competition would create better customer service from brand leaders, at least.  have you tried to get a return phone call from (names omitted to protect the guilty) lately?  don't bother.  And until the photo community's tastes mature beyond the boring routine--warm tone matte black smooth rag--we will be waiting til kingdom come for something truly interesting like, eg, baryta photo board,  scratch resistant papers, more creative textures like RedRiver Linen, or how about a better selection of double sided papers, or photo black papers that fold easily for book making.  And Metallic paper was a nice try but no cigar. i still can't find a paper with my choice combination of thickness, texture, coating, luster, and brightness, but then again i'm still on test paper #38. And when will the price of inks fall below that of precious metals? Maybe never.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:22:31 am by texshooter »

simdoc1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:26 am »

Well said! Nice!!

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up