Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spraying with problems  (Read 5380 times)

Darrel

Re: Spraying with problems
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 04:06:56 pm »

I think you may have some luck at a Home Hardware.

fetish

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »

John, Im spraying at almost a 45 degree angle.  Kind of slanted. 

dont go slanted. you'll create horrid unevenness.

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18CrPKZJg4U

note his speed but your stroke should be faster due to your type of spraygun (greco/wagner) to prevent bubbles, and spray a little bit further than the demo vid.

you'll do fine after some practice.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »

Here is a video made by Breathing color, who makes Timeless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QOXvQUrzus

They are using the control spray plus in this video by Wagner.  Much more powerful than the standard
control spray.   I had to purchase the Control Spray Plus over the web as no local stores carry it. 

In the previous video, the person spraying is moving way to slow if you are using a Control Spray or Control Spray plus which Fetish also mentioned.  You are putting out a lot more material with the Wagner and have to move quickly.  However it works well.  Takes some getting used to.  However I don't think I could spray as slow as the other video and get anything done.  Timeless needs about 30 minutes between coats.  Most times I give a canvas 3 coats.  The first coating is as is shown in the video by Breathing color, one pass up and down and a 2nd pass side to side.  The other coats I only make one pass, either up and down or side to side.  I try to mix directions so that I don't get a pattern effect. 

I noticed on BC's main site they don't mention the Wagner anymore only the Fuji sprayer.  But the video I linked was made by a person at Breathing Color.

Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

Well, I checked the viscosity of the Timeless and it emptied from the viscosity cup in 30 seconds so it no way needs any water to mix in.  I'm just going to pull back a little as far as distance and minimize the spray volume as low as I can.  I'm about to spray again right now.  Let's see how it goes.

UPDATE* So I just sprayed my first coat with the smallest available opening on the spray gun and had it about 12" away from the picture.  NO GLOBS!  So that's a good thing.  Now I'll wait 20min and re-coat.  Since its a very light spray coming out I guess I'll do 4 coats.  

2ND UPDATE* Thanks guys for all the information.  You all were a huge help.  It ends up that my gun goes from hardly any spray out to a lot of spray out with a tiny twist of the adjustment knob.  I had to stay back about a foot or more and the gloss was still going on strong. I had to move quicker.  But in the end, no blotches.  This was coat #4.  Plus my other print that had blotches on it, well I used that as a test stretch and after about 5 tries I think I got it down!  Stretch came out great!  Even the corners!  No bumps or loose canvas!  Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:22:50 am by rgvsdigitalpimp »

fetish

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 03:15:04 pm »

Well, I checked the viscosity of the Timeless and it emptied from the viscosity cup in 30 seconds so it no way needs any water to mix in.  I'm just going to pull back a little as far as distance and minimize the spray volume as low as I can.  I'm about to spray again right now.  Let's see how it goes.

UPDATE* So I just sprayed my first coat with the smallest available opening on the spray gun and had it about 12" away from the picture.  NO GLOBS!  So that's a good thing.  Now I'll wait 20min and re-coat.  Since its a very light spray coming out I guess I'll do 4 coats. 

2ND UPDATE* Thanks guys for all the information.  You all were a huge help.  It ends up that my gun goes from hardly any spray out to a lot of spray out with a tiny twist of the adjustment knob.  I had to stay back about a foot or more and the gloss was still going on strong. I had to move quicker.  But in the end, no blotches.  This was coat #4.  Plus my other print that had blotches on it, well I used that as a test stretch and after about 5 tries I think I got it down!  Stretch came out great!  Even the corners!  No bumps or loose canvas!  Thanks again!!

good news there. we've all probably gone thru that stage so it's great to see you finally succeed. you'll still run into future problems of dust and crap but i'm sure you'll sort it out yourself quickly enough. =D

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 01:04:10 am »

Well when I compare the results it seems like the canvas I over sprayed on has a nice plasticy feel to it and the one I did with no over spray with 4 coats still has the canvas feel to it.  If you hold it to the light it almost looks like glitter like enough wasn't sprayed.  Ahhh I guess I just have to wait for my wagner gun to come in.  I'm tired of ruining prints.   

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 10:34:44 am »

Thanks for all the help again, guys.  Finally got the method down pat.  I ordered a Wagner and have had no issues since.  Here's my first official customer with his wrap. 

I'm in the process of ordering this stretching tool as well because it took me about an HOUR to wrap this!  Way too long with my small stretching tool. 

http://www.pitbullwrapstretcher.com/

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »

Pretty slick stretching pliers! but a bit steep on the price for what you get.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 04:18:07 pm »

Tell me about it, John.  I spoke to someone who personally used them that has a $3000 stretching machine and says he can finish a wrap in about the same time.  I don't have any other options in that price range to make my life a little easier.  Geez stretching that 20 x 40 last night with pliers really took a toll.  Took forever.  Anything else out there thats around that price range before I order these?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 11:07:38 am »

If you have a buddy that's into welding, maybe have him make one from a $10 vice grip! ;-) Or go to your neighborhood welding shop with a sketch.  Doesn't seem like it would take too much. The toughest part would be to figure out how to make the grippers.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up