Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolled Paper "clamps?"  (Read 2621 times)

onesickpuppy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 34
    • RB Images
Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:24:37 am »

Not sure what the correct term is for what I'm looking for...so I'll do my best to explain


On a roll of 44 inch paper...there is an elastic "wrap" to hold the paper so it can't unwind.
Its plastic coated, and is coiled up. You unwrap it and wrap it around the paper so it holds
it from unraveling.

Can someone advise what the proper term is...and where I can purchase a few more???

Logged

neile

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1093
    • http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:52:47 am »

I wrote a review of some media clips a while back: http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2011/01/24/media-clipspeedclipsooper-clip-review.html. Note that since I wrote the review I have notice you have to be careful how tightly the ends clamp onto the rolls. I dented a new roll of Ilford GFS when the clamps were too tight :(

Neil
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:01:41 pm by neile »
Logged
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Randy Carone

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 634
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02:40 am »

I've found the best method for securing media rolls is to tape two pieces of copy paper together, slip one end under the leading edge of the media and wrap it around the roll and add a small piece of tape to hold the wrap. The small piece of tape has a layer of copy paper under the tape so the adhesive won't bleed through to the media. Then I mark the copy paper with the name of the media and how much is left on the roll, if I know.
Logged
Randy Carone

onesickpuppy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 34
    • RB Images
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:08:41 am »

thanks for link.....its nothing like what i have...but looks like it should work
and the price is right
Logged

neile

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1093
    • http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:18:48 am »

Honestly it's hard to beat the price of Randy's solution (and heck, he even sells the clips I linked to). I would just use the paper plus a bit of tape method if I hadn't already bought the clips.

Neil
Logged
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

John Nollendorfs

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 623
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:49:16 am »

Try pant retainers used by bicyclists. In Riga, Latvia a few years back they were distributing them for free as a form of advertising! ;-) I picked up a few spares there.
Logged

framah

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1418
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:07 am »

Pretty much any object you wrap around the roll has the chance of marring it. When I am done with a roll, I just put it back into the bag it came in and tuck the end of the bag into the roll tube. It then goes back into the box.  It holds it just fine and no scuff marks from a clamp or strap.
Logged
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

fetish

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »

A few years ago I too have been trying to look for that springy piece of.. whatever it is. but failed.

So what I've been using so far is a little improvement of the copy paper + sticky tape method.

I take pieces of leftover paper (normally the same type as the roll i'm planning on wrapping it with, so the PH, etc.. doesnt get messed up) and put velcro tapes on them as you can see from the picture.

It's 100% secure, doesnt damage the roll in any way, and costs next to nothing.
Logged

davidh202

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 662
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »

All the Epson Papers I have purchased have a protective wrapper or strip of paper that is taped to hold the roll together with a leader that gets wound into the end of the roll.
, I save and re-use that, then put put the roll back in the plastic sleeve and back into the box as Epson advises ! as Randy shows ,and Framah also said. It doesn't get any simpler.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:10:18 pm by davidh202 »
Logged

fetish

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:40:37 pm »

All the Epson Papers I have purchased have a protective wrapper or strip of paper that is taped to hold the roll together with a leader that gets wound into the end of the roll.
, I save and re-use that, then put put the roll back in the plastic sleeve and back into the box as Epson advises ! as Randy shows ,and Framah also said. It doesn't get any simpler.  ;)

isnt that totally troublesome if you have to change paper roll a few times a day? :P
Logged

davidh202

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 662
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 04:36:39 pm »

 I would imagine so if you are doing that many roll changes, but do you also have to switch Blk inks that often also?

I'd imagine a workflow that groups jobs by paper type would be easier all around, or at least using Randys method of roll closure is no big deal ;-)
David
Logged

fetish

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 154
Re: Rolled Paper "clamps?"
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

I'm on the 11880 so the K inks aint a problem.  ;D

Of course i aim to keep roll changes to a minimum by grouping the jobs, but even then i still change rolls at least 3 times on most printing days.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up