Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1DX?  (Read 3854 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Canon 1DX?
« on: October 20, 2011, 07:48:29 pm »

This used to be a comment about the lack of coverage of J1/1DX announcements + Sony visibility on LL.

Now removed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:29:58 am by BernardLanguillier »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Canon 1DX?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »

...and Ricoh 1 and Leica 1.
Well I guess if you come here to read about future releases and their impact on the industry then yes, you will be surprised.
If you want to find out how they actually work in the hand, then no. Sony happens to be it at the moment.
There is always the thread on the forum which has gone to nine pages in four days. Since I can't buy the camera yet I'm afraid I haven't read it. Laziness, I know. :o

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:57:47 pm »

Is it just me or are other LLiens surprised by the total lack of mention on LL of the announcement of the 1DX by Canon?

Yes. In fact, I was going to point it out; but you beat me to it.

Following the Nikon J1, that is the second major announcement in one month that doesn't get even an mention in the news section of LL. I understand the focus on first hand testing, but there 2 announcements are due to shape important parts of the photographic landscape and do impact a very high number of faithful readers...

Agreed.

Frankly, I hear people around me wondering whether LL has become a Sony ad platform.

A bit harsh I think. The most likely explanation is that neither Canon nor Nikon are sending cameras to Michael for preview at present; so he is focusing on those companies that do like Sony (fair enough).

In terms of the 1DX specifically - I would guess that Michael is holding back and reconciling his own thoughts on this new camera by Canon. He may not have much to say yet; especially if he has not had a play with a preproduction camera. Far be it for me to put words in his mouth though.. that is just my guess.

I don't really want to log onto Lula in the morning with my coffee and see the same press release thats plastered all over the rest of the internet. There are a gazillion websites out there all linking to the same press release and previews already. Does lula have to tow the line? (rhetorical question). What I prefer to see is Michael's 'opinion' or thoughts on the new cameras as they are announced, followed by his real world field testing opinions. That to me is far more valuable and interesting than a simple announcement of the product for the sake of it.

All of this said.. Lula is Michaels. It is his playground and he makes the rules of what gets included and what gets a mention.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »

Update: Josh-H expressed it much better...

Hi,

Neither is LuLa a Sony ad platform nor a camera review site. Michael and the few other authors share their findings. Has Canon not send a sample to Michael well beforehand he has not personal experience to report, and LuLa has seldom published reformatted press releases.

I guess the concept works.

Michael also uses Panasonic, Leica and there are frequent articles about those cameras.

Finally, this site is much more about larger sensor system than ultra compacts. The Panasonic may be an exception, but it is quite usable for motion.

Best regards
Erik

Is it just me or are other LLiens surprised by the total lack of mention on LL of the announcement of the 1DX by Canon?

Following the Nikon J1, that is the second major announcement in one month that doesn't get even an mention in the news section of LL. I understand the focus on first hand testing, but there 2 announcements are due to shape important parts of the photographic landscape and do impact a very high number of faithful readers...

Frankly, I hear people around me wondering whether LL has become a Sony ad platform.

Just looking at the first page of the news section...

The Sony word appears 14 times, Canon 0, Nikon 1 (flooding news), Pentax 0, Olympus 0, Panasonic 0...

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »

...and LuLa has seldom published reformatted press releases.

Exactly...what is the purpose of regurgitating the same old press release as DPReview posted?

When it's a real camera (and not just a press release) come back and ask the same question...some time next year (according to the press release).

So, exactly what was the point of the OP? Got an axe to grind bud? Come on, spell it out instead of wimping out. You think Mike is anti-Canon (well, I am–my most recent camera other than the IQ 180 was a GH2 cause Canon had nothing interesting). Really, your OP is pretty obvious...have a nice day!

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:39:40 am »

I think Sony has been more innovate than most in recent times and that's why they have the extra coverage here.

The last real innovation from Canon was the 17mm TSE and that was covered here.

Patients grasshopper!

dreed

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:00:24 am »

As far as Sony goes, the visibility Sony gets on this site doesn't seem fair for other brands doing a great job out there as well. Michael is pretty open about the relationship he has with them which is OK, so I am not interested in conspiration theories. All I am saying is that there is more than Sony out there and again, my high hopes for LL call for a broader focus.

The material that gets posted on LuLa is what Michael finds interesting.

There was a time when news about Canon products featured heavily - that was because he owned Canon gear and was interested in it.

Then Sony came out with the A900 and friends and it appears that this became more interesting to Michael than what Canon was doing.

Going by comments I've read in various stories, at an earlier point in time it appears that Michael owned and used a lot of Nikon equipment but then Canon did some innovating with their lenses and he switched.

I'll add that what Sony is doing - by innovating and doing new things to capture market presence - makes their products generally more interesting than say Canon, where things change and slowly evolve rather than any sort of revolution.

Imagine that he'd stuck with Canon. There'd be nothing written about the NEX or other m4/3s yet these cameras would be the new kids on the block. If you were running a photography website, what would you rather be doing? Jumping on the coat tails of Sony and their daring to innovate, wherever that may go, or sit in a nice cosy Canon box and then one day find out that you should have gotten out a long time ago for more interesting content?

If you feel that there should be more Canon stories, then look to Canon for interesting and innovating products. On wait, there aren't any and haven't been any for a long time? Who's to blame for that?

In the last 12 months, there's only been one real feature that has caught my attention from Canon - the ability of the newly released S100 to apply multiple white balance settings in the same shot.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:26:59 am »

Exactly...what is the purpose of regurgitating the same old press release as DPReview posted?

When it's a real camera (and not just a press release) come back and ask the same question...some time next year (according to the press release).

So, exactly what was the point of the OP? Got an axe to grind bud? Come on, spell it out instead of wimping out. You think Mike is anti-Canon (well, I am–my most recent camera other than the IQ 180 was a GH2 cause Canon had nothing interesting). Really, your OP is pretty obvious...have a nice day!

I think this a bit harsh.  I don't know whether the OP has an axe to grind or not, I know I don't.  I do know that when I first started looking at LL it seemed to have news of lots of interesting new cameras and gear.  Perhaps it is because things are changing more slowly now, or perhaps the new gear does not interest me so much I don't know.  But I used to find LL a one-stop resource, but now I do find myself looking elsewhere for news.  In fairness, perhaps it is worth noting that LL does not actually have a 'News' section - but one titled 'What's New', which is of course quite different.  It is talking about what is new on LL, and that of course is what Michael finds interesting and wants to share.  That is probably both the strength and the weakness of LL. 

On the point about the 1Dx not being a real camera yet and that being a reason not to discuss it.  Michael quite often talks about new cameras at length before they are available if they interest him, think of the RED system for one.  I suppose for the huge number of Canon users a replacement for the 1Ds has been much anticipated, and if they like me, are diehard LL fans, it comes as a slight disappointment that it is not mentioned in 'What's New'.

Jim

fredjeang

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 04:40:54 am »

This Canon is absolutly unexciting, but a rational and good 1D, nothing less but nothing more.

Nothing they did for video that was not predictable and a logical improvement of what was already there, nothing exciting at all, nothing surprising.

I don't get the point why it should make history because they choose a slightly decreasing resolution, when we know and it's been pointed zillion times in this forum in all forms and lenguages, that the target people of the 1D aren't interested in the pixel race. Canon just knows well its clients and is a rational company.

So if being rational means that it would deserves an historical place in the photographic Pantheon, the only conclusion I can draw is that this world is totally unrational.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 05:28:48 am »

OK, I'll just remove my posts in this thread, apologize and lock this thread then.

Sorry about wasting everyone's time.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:31:00 am by BernardLanguillier »
Pages: [1]   Go Up