Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: softproofing colorshift  (Read 2517 times)

tongelsing

softproofing colorshift
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:27:52 am »

I’m printing with the Epson7880 for alsmost three years now and using mainly Epson semigloss and highgloss papers.
The results are very nice and pretty much conform the softproofing. During the softproofing only slight colorcorrections are needed, mainly in the blues. The blues are shifting a little bit towards the cyans and are easly corrected.

But now I have started with canvas printing on Epson Premium Canvast Satin and I’m schocked by the softproofing results. The whole image becomes much lighter in the midtones (and thus loosing contrast) especially in the reds.
The print however is pretty much the same as the softproofing but it is very hard to make the necessary colorcorrections, using  a  curves- and a selective-colorlayer.

I’m using the Pro9880_7880 Premium Canvas Satin_PK.icc  profile and the recommend media choice by Epson is Water Color Paper Radiant White.

I did some softproofing with other canvasprofiles but the results are more or less the same. The image becomes lighter in the midtones.

My question is why is the color/luminance shift that big with canvasses? (the original tone/colors are well within de colorgamut) 
Why can’t they make profiles that causes no colorshift if the colors are within the range of the colorgamut of the specific media?

Using a Mac 10.6.8 and the Epson printerdriver.

Ton

JohnHeerema

• Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: softproofing colorshift
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

I think that you may have answered your own question.

Sadly, the gamut volume for most canvas stock, including the Epson Satin Premium, is well short of the gamut volume you can get from gloss papers. The gloss version of the canvas  has more gamut volume. If you coat the canvas after printing, a gloss coating may extend the gamut volume.

tongelsing

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:10:40 am »

My question still stands.
I'm talking about colour and tones that are well within the colourgamut of the canvas.

In the images the upper parts are the originals, the lower parts the softproofed version of it.
In my opinion these shifts are huge and exend to other colors as well and are not so easily corrected.
The reason you use a profile is to avoid these shifts.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:11 am »

For canvas I make my own profiles based on the canvas after the satin gloss varnishing. That makes a difference in gamut. Another issue can be that the media preset recommended by the printer manufacturer is not optimal in ink use, the canvas might allow more ink which could improve the gamut. Try another media preset, for an art paper for example. Color management with Macs, Adobe Software and printer drivers has been troublesome over the last years. I'm not an expert there but stick to version 2 profiles and read what can be wrong in the threads on that subject on LL's color management forum.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop

http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up