Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS L bracks and stability of camera with battery grip on tripod.  (Read 2219 times)

adam z

I am looking at ordering a RRS TCV 34L with BH 55 and an L plate for my 7D. I am wondering if it might be better to remove the battery grip while doing landscape work as I am a little concerned that the little screw mount that joins the camera body and battery grip could have a little play which might cause a tiny amount of camera shake. With its tiny pixels, I have noticed that the 7D is extremely sensitive to camera shake (by this, I mean if trying to maximise it's resolution, then it needs to be very stable). My old 30D was much more forgiving, or seemingly so, as with it's lower resolution the temptation to print  larger wasn't there. Hope this makes sense.

Any opinions?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: RRS L bracks and stability of camera with battery grip on tripod.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:07 am »

I am looking at ordering a RRS TCV 34L with BH 55 and an L plate for my 7D. I am wondering if it might be better to remove the battery grip while doing landscape work as I am a little concerned that the little screw mount that joins the camera body and battery grip could have a little play which might cause a tiny amount of camera shake.

The RRS camera L plates are designed to fit the contours of the camera- or battery grip bottom. It requires a B7D-L to mount to the camera body, or a BGE7-L to mount to the battery grip. That leaves the connection between the battery grip and the camera body as a potential weak link, I agree. So you'll have to ask yourself, do you need the battery grip for your landscape work (it only supplies additional power)?

I'd reduce the weight, lower the center of gravity, and go for the more stable solution without battery grip (and carry a spare battery if needed).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:54:29 am »

For cameras with a removable battery grip, I always remove it and use an L-bracket made for the camera alone. That single attachment point between the grip and the camera flexes too much for comfort.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

adam z

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:19 am »

Thanks, you have both pretty much confirmed my thinking. I will definitely take the grip off and get the L bracket for body only. It isn't difficult to put the grip back on for a portrait shoot, and any weight saving for a hike in to a landscape location is a bonus. Thanks.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 01:26:57 am »

Adam, you reached the same conclusion that I did some time ago. For landscape I found no need for the grip, and removing it had no negative effects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up