Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: scanners stop working!  (Read 4660 times)

Andres Bonilla

scanners stop working!
« on: June 06, 2005, 02:32:19 pm »

Well, obviously I am the only one with a problem with the scanners, zero responses.  :( Anyway I will be uninstalling my two scanners and reinstalling them with the latest drivers and then reinstall CS2. My question if someone cares to respond is what is the difference between firmware and software like with my Nikon scanner. There are lots of warnings about not even moving the mouse while updating the firmware because it would seriuously messe up your scanner.

Andres Bonilla

scanners stop working!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:37:44 pm »

Thank you Paul. I am on Windows 2000 sp4 and usb connections. I 'll try to stay away from firmware since I don't need any more problems.

Andres Bonilla

scanners stop working!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 11:26:56 pm »

Well after all this suffering I called Nikon to make sure I was downloading the correct software and they told me that the Nikon Plugin DOES NOT WORK WITH CS2!!! It seems some people managed to make Nikon 4000 and some of the newers one work but as per now most of their scanners do not work with CS2. The tech support told me that they will come out with a fix in about 3 months, she even recommended for me to continue working with PS 6.0 because she said that most likely the new firmware-software from Nikon would not make my coolscan IV ED work with CS2. What a freakin bummer!

Ray

scanners stop working!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 12:40:23 am »

You should also bear in mind that you cannot use the latest software and drivers (4.01 is the full version, 4.02 just an updater) unless you have first updated your firmware.

I also use Win2k Professional SP4 with my scanner.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
scanners stop working!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 10:03:51 pm »

Andres, just in case the problem persists, you can download a copy of Hamrick's VueScan. Assuming your scanner is correctly installed (I suggest uninstalling and re-installing the scanner itself - i.e. the hardware and the software in the order Nikon says to do it) VueScan will most likely find your scanner and that will keep you going. VueScan has a 30 day trial period so you can do this for free, solve your immediate problem and if you like what it does for you, pay the USD 90 and install a license number.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Andres Bonilla

scanners stop working!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 07:23:07 pm »

I just installed my upgrade of Photoshop CS2 and it apparently went well. I opened the program and it froze a couple of times but it open files fine and I was able to apply a couple of filters. I then went to open my Epson Perfection scanner and PS froze and never opened it. I then went to my Nikon coolscan and it froze. I closed CS2 and try the same with my old reliable Photoshop 6.0 and PS froze here also. I then tried to open both scanners by themselves and they did not respond. They are frozen! Gone! I don't have a clue! Could it be a confusion between Photoshop? Are the softwares from this scanners now looking for something that I need to specify?

Thanks,

Andres

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
scanners stop working!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 04:16:55 pm »

I can't help with your original problem. To make it more likely that somebody else can, you should mention what operating system and what kind of interface your scanners use (USB, Firewire, etc.). Make sure that the CS2 installation didn't leave your hard disk so full that nothing can work reliably.

As to the new question... software includes application programs and drivers, all the stuff that's stored on the hard disk of your computer. Firmware is what runs inside the device (the scanner in this case) and is stored in some other kind of memory inside the device. The reason for all the dire warnings is that if the firmware isn't valid, the device may not even be able to talk to the computer to correct the problem. There are lots of (mostly bad) reasons why the firmware update process can be very fragile.

andybla

scanners stop working!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:35:06 pm »

Just tried it on my system -- CS2  windows 2000P Nikon 4000D

Opens and scans with no problem. Make sure you have the latest software (Nikon Scan) from Nikons web site.

Andy

Ray

scanners stop working!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:16:16 am »

That's odd! The Super Coolscan 4000 seems to be of the same ilk as the 8000ED which I use; 4000 dpi, GEM, ROC and ICE etc. Mine works well on PS CS2 with Nikonscan 4.01 & 4.02.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
scanners stop working!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 09:34:34 am »

Assuming you and Nikon have discussed all other factors that could be causing this problem and it is correctly identified as a Nikon problem not up-dating their firmware/software for compatibility with CS2, until they do so the obvious workaround would be not to involve Photoshop with your scanning at all. Just use the scanner software (Nikon's or Hamrick's VUeScan, which is excellent) to scan the images to a folder, then open the scanned images in Photoshop to do the needful with them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Andres Bonilla

scanners stop working!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 09:07:28 pm »

That was my original idea but my problem was that my CS2 installation kill both my Epson and my Nikon coolscan, I could not open them up with anyother application. Now I have all the updated drivers, so I may reinstall again and see if the Nikon plugin works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up