Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7900 Need help preparing for move  (Read 1410 times)

natas

7900 Need help preparing for move
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

I am moving next thursday....so I need to get my new printer to my new location. So I took a look at the manual and the picture it shows makes no sense to me. I have the little blue thing but for the life of me cannot figure out exactly where this goes.

Can anyone explain to me how to put the blue packing material or take a picture of it in your 7900/9900?

natas

Re: 7900 Need help preparing for move
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:05:28 pm »

Bumping hoping someone can help me

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »

Hi Natas,I tried to place mine back into position it came in a year ago and I believe this is how it goes under the carriage
at the bottom visible corner,  the blue block goes in the space between the carriage and the back platten structure after pulling the carriage outward (upward) slightly and carefully at the bottom, leaving only the tab with the string attached sticking out for later withdrawl.

BTW -There is a penalty for early withdrawl  ::) ;D

A really bad Paint illustration attached ;-)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:07:52 pm by davidh202 »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:04:42 am »

Diagram looks about right ... basic idea is keeping the head from moving.

How far are you moving the printer?  As long as you have control of it and make sure you can keep it level the blue thing really isn't necessary.  Basic idea is not letting the head slide around but as long as you turned the printer off so the head sealed, I don't think it can move much anyway. 

Most people don't save the device meant to hold the head, and I've moved dozens of epsons without it.  These are all short moves, normally the printer is unlatched from the stand and put in the back of a large SUV.

Normal procedure for me is remove all ink cartridges (I never drain the printer), relocate the printer, immediately replace them and turn the printer on, run a nozzle check and make sure all nozzles are clear (clean if not). 

If  you are having to ship the printer, another story entirely and yes the blue thing or some other way to lock the head down would be important.

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »

Normal procedure for me is remove all ink cartridges (I never drain the printer), relocate the printer, immediately replace them and turn the printer on, run a nozzle check and make sure all nozzles are clear (clean if not). 

Hey Wayne, I thought I had remembered this from last years reading and double checked myself...
The manual says to leave the carts installed when moving (page 173),   or
save a set of used carts to insert for moving, if necessary ( page 161.   ;)

David

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:53:48 pm »

Empty carts are good for moving - I normally remove carts with significant amounts of ink in them, despite what the manual says.  The weight of 700ml cartridges is significant and I believe there's more risk of damage from that weight moving around if the transport is rough then from a few drops of ink (which is why a set of empties is the best option - no weight and no ink drops).
Phil Brown

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »

I remove them because a 9600 I moved years ago leaked ink while moving quite messy ... so no cartridges no ink to leak (well, not much).

As Phil mentioned printer is also a little lighter.

Key is to make sure they are not out of the printer very long ... take them out, get it moved and get them back in and power up the printer asap to insure everything is seated and sealed correctly.  Don't let things dry out.  I always do a nozzle check immediately as well and try to print something or run a nozzle clean.

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:12:45 pm »

Yeah, old habits die hard  ;D.

Epson also recommends doing a head alignment . Just sayin  ::)  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up