Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?  (Read 1669 times)

Didymus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »

I'm considering buying Epson's exhibition canvas but I'm concerned with it's coating issues.  I think its been a while since anyone has posted about this canvas.  Any up to date news or opinions on it?
Logged

KenBabcock

  • Guest
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:44:26 pm »

Keep in mind this canvas is not water resistant like the premium line before it.  What that means is you will NOT be able to coat with a roller.  You will have to spray this canvas instead.

Personally, I don't think the Exhibition line is worth the price increase.  I would shop around for another canvas.
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:05 pm »

You just cannot beat Lexjet Sunset Select Matte. At .92 a square foot it is the best bang for the buck.
Breathing Colors Chromatta White and Lyve are right in the same quality at a slightly higher price.
I will be doing some beta testing next week for Breathing Color's Crystalline canvas and will be reporting on the results.
It is supposedly ready for prime time,we'll see.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:56:06 pm by Dan Berg »
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

KenBabcock

  • Guest
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:29:26 pm »

They better hurry up with Crystalline.  Sihl already has a no-varnish canvas out and it's nice!
Logged

Didymus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

I'm looking for a satin canvas.  Does Lexjet Sunset or Breathing Color make a satin canvas?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:45:16 pm by Didymus »
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

Lexjet has the satin instant dry unless they discontinued it.
The satins are about 50 percent more costly due to their coatings.
I personally have found it much better to use matte for everything and control the sheen with the top coat.
More cost effective and you can get matte to gloss final finish and everything in between with one canvas.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

Didymus

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »

I personally have found it much better to use matte for everything and control the sheen with the top coat.

Yes, I remember the Eco Print Shield demo mentioning that.  Thats great, Thank you.
Logged

davidh202

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 662
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »

  I don't have any experience with other brands and have been using the Ex Canvas Matte since it was introduced.I was originally told to use the less expensive Matte finish since the canvas needed to be coated anyway, and the final finish could be adjusted as necessary.
  I really like Eco Print Shield, and as much as I would prefer to not have to, I give the canvas a light (fixative) spray with the standard Print Shield product first (dries fairly fast), and then do 3 succesive rolled on coats with the EPS -2 gloss (thinned 20%), and the final coat according to customer request, as recommended by Premier Imaging.
 I have had no problems with Ink bleeding, I cut and join my own stretchers and stretch by hand,  trimming out the corner overlaps , which IMHO makes for a much nicer appearance.
Being a customer picture framer by profession, I have become quite adept at this after nearly 20 years of stretching artist canvas's.
 I don't choose a product because it is the 'cheapest'. Pricing my services reflects my expertise, costs of operation and materials used. As with any product out there, it is all subjective according to usage, familiarity, or personal likes and dislikes.

My personal opinion and bottom line...The Epson Ex Canvas is a pleasure to use,  my resulting images are superb, and my customers are happy!!
Hope that helps ;-)
David  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:49:22 pm by davidh202 »
Logged

JohnHeerema

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 241
  • Dr. John Heerema
    • http://www.heerema.ca
Re: opinions on Epson Exhibition Canvas ?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 01:05:53 am »

I've been using Epson Exhibition Canvas, gloss finish, and quite like it.
The base colour is a bit more blue than the previous Epson Premier Canvas.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up