Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote control for Canon 5d mark II  (Read 20545 times)

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
Remote control for Canon 5d mark II
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:28:43 am »

Hi,

I recently started using Canon 5d mark II, and pretty soon realized I miss my old cable release ( that I used to use on some film cameras ).

Having searched the web I found several remote control devices, such as RC - 1 and RC - 6.

Which one would you recommend ?

I would use it in the studio, mostly while dropping ice cubes into a glass, or when working on some other difficult set that requires my intervention while shooting...

thank you

stever

Re: Remote control for Canon 5d mark II
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »

i think the best wireless is the RC-6.  need to keep it on a chain or fob or something not to lose it

the only problem with the wireless remotes is that they won't let you trigger in continuous drive, for which you need something like the old RS-80N3 wired switch

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:40 pm »

Alan

take a look here - chinese but working perfectly got one recently. Unbeatable for that price 45,90 $ US:

YONGNUO MC-36R C3 Wireless Timer Remote for Canon EOS 5D/40D/30D/20D/10D/50D
see here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/YONGNUO-MC-36R-C3-Wireless-Timer-Remote-for-Canon-EOS-5D-40D-30D-20D-10D-50D-/230672632025?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item35b52908d9

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

Alan Matuka

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:08 am »

thank you for info  :)

@ stever

rc - 6 would do, since I'm working with flash only I don't use continuous drive mode...

@ Stefan

device looks great, and it should work within 100 m range...
it seems that is the better option - if it works...
on their ebay page they mentioned possible problems...

jnmoore

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:00:56 am »

I have used the RC-6 constantly with my landscapes for a few years and it works just fine. It is designed to be attached to the Canon camera strap so its always with your camera and available. If you get in the habitat of leaving it there no problems finding. Of course, if it slips out of your fingers or a pocket into a river ...

For my work, the battery lasts a long time and I've never run out but replaced anyway just in case.

I haven't tested the range (I work mostly next to the tripod) but it works for family portraits with me in very well.

John

Alan Matuka

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:22:06 am »

it seems I'll go for RC - 6...

just one more thing...
does it work in ' B ' mode ?
sometimes I would need to shoot on a long exposure...
like when there is a mixed lighting situation ( bit of flash, and rest is ambient or painted with Hosemaster )...
in those cases remote has to be able both open and close shutter...

thanks...

jnmoore

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:39 am »

Yes it works fine in B mode. You click once to open and then again when you want it to close. I use it like this with my 10 stop ND filter.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:55:39 pm »

torger

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 03:59:30 am »

I use the simple cable release RS-80, I like having the trigger on a cable when standing close the camera and like the feel of the button. I always use this when shooting from a tripod.

For wireless and delayed triggering time lapse etc I got a Hähnel Giga T Pro. It is certainly not "professional grade" build quality and I don't think it stands up against rain very well, but it is relatively low cost (comes at the price of a Canon original cable release extension cable :-) ) and has a range of 100 meters and since it is radio it does not need line of sight or being aimed directly at the camera.

I got the RC-6 too, but I never really liked it. I don't know if it is a limitation or if it just me not being able to figure it out but it seems like it is not possible to have delayed triggering with the RC-6, making it hard to use for self-portraits etc since you don't get any time to put away the remote.

Alan Matuka

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 02:12:25 pm »

@ torger

I like cable release too, it gives me different feeling from remote control...
few days ago I did a shoot using Sinar 5 x 4 and some old b / w reversal polaroids, and there is a definite sense of a whole process when you press a long cable release :-)

Alan Matuka

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 07:32:56 am »

I have one more question about RC - 6...

there is a project where I'll use two cameras simultaneously, to shoot the same set...
set will be lit by flash, and idea is to fire both cameras at the same time, and one of them will be synced to flash...
it should work if there is no delay ( i.e. if both cameras really fire at the same time )... otherwise it may happen that camera that is not synced to the flash keeps getting unlit images...

any suggestions...

Walter_temp

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

Description is not that clear.

As far as I understood:
Camera 1 is triggered by remote trigger. Flash will be triggered by camera 1. Flash will have to trigger camera 2.

Won't work. Flash duration is far too short, camera 2 will not see a big part of it. Delay between trigger actuation and shutter release is about 0.03 to 0.04 s. Sounds fast, but a  flash from a speedlite at 1/16 power will last less than 0.001 s.

I would use a cable trigger with 2 connectors to release both cameras at the same time. Can be made by combining two cheap cable triggers.

Ciao, Walter

Alan Matuka

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:54:59 am »

Description is not that clear.

As far as I understood:
Camera 1 is triggered by remote trigger. Flash will be triggered by camera 1. Flash will have to trigger camera 2.

Won't work. Flash duration is far too short, camera 2 will not see a big part of it. Delay between trigger actuation and shutter release is about 0.03 to 0.04 s. Sounds fast, but a  flash from a speedlite at 1/16 power will last less than 0.001 s.

I would use a cable trigger with 2 connectors to release both cameras at the same time. Can be made by combining two cheap cable triggers.

Ciao, Walter

Iea was to fire both cameras with same remote - if that would work... and one of the cameras would be synced to the flash...
I didn't know there is a cable trigger with two connectors...

thank you :-)

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:13 am »

Check with the Phottix support. If you put a receiver on each camera and trigger them with the transmitter it should work.
There is also a new product available from Phottix if you are working with Canon flashlights: http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl-flash-trigger-for-canon.html

Alan Matuka

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

@ Thomas

thanks, I will :-)

benmar

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 06:25:10 pm »

+1 on the Canon RS-80 (about 2 ft cord) release.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 03:25:57 am »

I recently picked up a couple of these RC-6 clones.  They were so close to the real thing that I ordered a dozen more to hand out to students as slag.. $5.82 each including shipping.  But make no mistake, these are not like using cabled shutter releases.  You need to be mostly in front of the camera, the response time isn't nearly as fast, and you don't have as much control.  They are the same as the real RC-6 though.  Great for taking family pictures if you want to be in them or something of that nature.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Alan Matuka

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 03:00:00 am »

I recently picked up a couple of these RC-6 clones.  They were so close to the real thing that I ordered a dozen more to hand out to students as slag.. $5.82 each including shipping.  But make no mistake, these are not like using cabled shutter releases.  You need to be mostly in front of the camera, the response time isn't nearly as fast, and you don't have as much control.  They are the same as the real RC-6 though.  Great for taking family pictures if you want to be in them or something of that nature.

so, there is delay with RC - 6... I was hoping there would be none...
also, as I would have to tand behind the camera ( to see what's going on ) it would be difficult to fire the cameras if remote has to be in front...
thanks for good info :-)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:30 am »

Like I Alan,
I too am in the market for a long wired cable release. I use a pair of the  PocketWizard MultiMAX transceivers  with the adapter cable for my 1D and 1Ds cameras but for some applications prefer a hardwired approach.
Any ideas or sources for an off the shelf wired cable release in the 10 foot range or is this a DIY job?

Alan Matuka

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 05:53:27 am »

Like I Alan,
I too am in the market for a long wired cable release. I use a pair of the  PocketWizard MultiMAX transceivers  with the adapter cable for my 1D and 1Ds cameras but for some applications prefer a hardwired approach.
Any ideas or sources for an off the shelf wired cable release in the 10 foot range or is this a DIY job?

I don't know... there must be Chinese replica of original Canon cable release, and one that fires two cameras at the same time...
it should cost come 7 USD, and 9 for twin cable lol
it is just a matter of finding it...
I guess ebay is The friend :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up