Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Constructing backing for laminated prints  (Read 1301 times)

jonathan.lipkin

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 158
Constructing backing for laminated prints
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »

Hi all - have a show going up soon with about fifty pieces. I'm having inkjet prints mounted to 1/4 sintra. The mounter suggested creating a backing and cleat, but wants about sixty bucks per peice for what looks to me like a pretty simple operation -  four pieces of wood in a rectangle, then another piece of wood cut on a 45 angle for the cleat. I've got some woodworking experience so hope to build the backing myself and save some money.

So my questions to the good folks on the form are:

1. What size? The pieces are 24x26 and 12x18 inches. The backing should be inset a few inches from each edge, but how many. Also, what size wood? 1x1? 1.5x1.5?

2. I'd guess that the backing is made from a hardwood, but what kind? It would need to resist warping, so pine is  out.

3. Finish the wood with polyurathane or leave unfinished?

4. How to attach the wood? Gorilla glue or some other epoxy-based glue would be best, but I'm worried about the squeeze-out. GG tends to foam quite a bit. Perhaps construction adhesive? I'd think that wood glue would not hold well to the sintra.

Many thanks

Logged

davidh202

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 662
Re: Constructing backing for laminated prints
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:07:49 pm »

Lowe's sells 1x2s of Poplar that should be dimentionally stable and relatively inexpensive.
 I'd use construction adhesive.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_43158-99999-08461_4294815778+4294961761_4294937087_?productId=3195665&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Poplar_4294815778%2B4294961761_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Poplar
Logged

jonathan.lipkin

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 158
Re: Constructing backing for laminated prints
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:03 pm »

Just a follow up: I went to the local lumber yard, bought 1x4 poplar, which I ripped down to 1x2. Then assembled into rectangles about 2" smaller than the prints. Attached to the backs with gorilla glue. The gallery is in the same building as a theater, so I borrowed some theater weights - large pieces of metal weighing about ten pounds each. Used those to weight the frames. Adhered pretty well.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up