Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 1 series?  (Read 9766 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Nikon 1 series?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »

* this comparision excludes PEN and lower Panasonic MFT cameras. They are in competition for the Guinness record on 'how to use the same crap sensor for more than 3 years, and still be able to sell cameras'.

Because I (and many others) put priority on taking photos, not obsessing over sensor tech or marginal improvements in IQ.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 10:17:45 am »

- the appeal of a really fast AF system. The slowness of all AF systems in non DSLRs has been irritating for some time.

Things are improving a lot with contrast AF vs phase AF (as are with EVF vs OVF). Have a look at these videos: The Phoblographer's Autofocus Test: Olympus EP3 vs Canon 7D, Olympus Pen E-P3 Focusing Speed, Olympus PEN E-P3 Low Light Amazing AF speed II .
On the other side, if portraits of your babe are a priority to you, Nikon 1's sensor size won't allow the same DOF control as larger format mirrorless systems.

Because I (and many others) put priority on taking photos, not obsessing over sensor tech or marginal improvements in IQ.

I am part of those, that is why I bought a PEN camera and I am happy with it. But I don't consider a marginal improvement the fact that my 2010 E-P1 performs worse than my 2006 Canon 350D. It is something any non-romantic camera owner should be aware and denounce: today's Olympus sensors are crap, totally out of date.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:31:23 am by Guillermo Luijk »

David Hufford

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:28 am »

My Olympus E-P3 certainly does not have anything close to amazing low light focusing speed, with any lens. The video linked to simply showed a guy using the touch screen to trip the shutter. I have no idea whether any were in focus, but he claims 95%. I can do the same thing with the touchscreen in decent light and missed focus then is not uncommon. Low light focus by any means is slow and unreliable. Well, unless I am shooting with a bright light in the scene which gives me something to focus on. Then it can become generally adequate.

The Oly focuses very fast (SAF, stationary subjects) in good light with the new lenses, and it may or may not be faster than a good dSLR. I can't tell much difference between it and any of mine, and whatever there is one way or another is insignificant. The noticeable shutter lag (compared to a modern dSLR) tends to negate much of that speed. AF quickly falls flat with a moving subject---continuous AF is not very good at all. I don't even bother with it anymore.

That said, contrast AF is no doubt improving, and sometime in the future might become as good as some of the over-enthusiastic E-P3 reviews have claimed it is now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 11:38:10 am by David Hufford »
*Never fall in love with anything that c
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up