Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New "mirrorless" Nikon  (Read 32237 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New "mirrorless" Nikon
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 09:23:13 am »

3. Todays compacts and mirror-less cameras have to high picture quality. People want crappy solutions like Apple, low-quality music format, etc. With a tiny sensor  limited by diffraction from largest aperture (on "normal" consumer zoom) Nikon delivers  ???.

Absolutely, the same way my mac mini is delivering amazing 24 bits/192 khz music files in my living room! :)

Cheers,
Bernard

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 10:32:45 am »

Nikon V1 DXOMark score vs NEX....

It should come as no surprise to anyone, the NEX wins handily.  What jumped out at me is the HUGE iso advantage from the NEX-3c.  The NEX-5 is the discontinued model, they haven't tested the newer NEX-5N yet.  There was a significant improvement in the image quality from the 5 to the 5n, so I expect the 5n to further outpace the 1 series.

If you care about IQ, get a NEX. If you need a fashion accessory, get a 1 series...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 06:19:30 pm »

If you care about IQ, get a NEX. If you need a fashion accessory, get a 1 series...

Thks for the pointer.

For those interested at looking at these cameras as photography tool with their own strengths and weaknesses... and perhaps a bit tired by the childish "mine is longer than yours" kind of speech... the DxO summary page below might be a bit more relevant:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Nikon-1-series-The-tests/Nikon-J1-a-small-camera-with-a-great-sensor

Some key fragments:
- For those who are well-acquainted with DxOMark, the measurements for the Nikon J1 will be quite surprising: the Nikon J1 sensor performs very well for a such a small sensor (8.8 x 13.2 mm for 10.4 Mpix).

- With an overall score of 56, the Nikon J1 achieves a pretty good DxOMark ranking. With regard to its size, this ranking is a big surprise, as the Nikon J1 sensor manages to score close to or even better than larger sensors (including 4/3 sensors).

- On the other hand, its low-light ISO score is a bit low: 372, which reflects the impact of the sensor size. Indeed, this score is naturally dependent on the sensor size: the bigger the sensor, the more light it captures. So even though the quality of the pixels provided by Nikon is very close to that of its main competitor, its sensor size physically limits the image quality... []... The gap between the Nikon 1 J1 sensor and the PEN EP3 or GF3 sensors comes close to ½ stop.

- So we are in fact trying to compare the J1 with its Sony competitors, the NEX-C3 and the NEX 7. The conclusion here is obvious: if you want the best image quality and the camera size doesn’t really matter, choose the larger Sony NEX cameras. (And you should perhaps wait for the measurement results of the NEX 7 before buying a NEX.)

- Nikon J1 vs Canon G12 vs Nikon P7000. This is perhaps the key comparison for Nikon: the Nikon 1 series is a very good alternative for people who are looking for a high-end compact. Their form factors are very close, but the image quality is significantly better and its interchangeable lenses could convince a lot of beginners to choose the Nikon J1.

Now, they don't speak about AF speed which should be the best of the bunch in low light conditions.

All in all, my personnal takeaway:

- The J1 looks like a very reasonable all round performer as a compact camera system, close to the 4/3 but probably overall a bit better (similar image quality, a bit smaller with much better AF),
- If size doesn't matter too much,then the NEX is an excellent choice indeed,
- If size doesn't matter at all, then get a Phaseone IQ180. :)

Now, I am glad that the DxO figures is finally recognized as accurate through. Because that would mean that my D3x really is much better than your A900.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:24:57 pm by BernardLanguillier »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »

"Engage troll mode, Scotty."

"Troll mode engaged, Cap'n."
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2011, 01:06:56 am »

Now, I am glad that the DxO figures is finally recognized as accurate through. Because that would mean that my D3x really is much better than your A900.  ;D

And I could buy 2 A900's and an A77 for the cost of a D3x... ;D

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2011, 01:38:42 am »

Sorry, I thought from your NEX comments that best possible image quality was critical for you. But I guess that your application are really very focused and totally satisfied by the abilities of the camera segment between the NEX5 and the A900 then? Below the Nex5 is totally unusable and above the A900 totally not needed?

Or... you are in fact a Sony camera collector? :)

As far as I am concerned I believe that the Sony offering is extremely appealing for some applications. I love the creativity of Sony engineers, the very quick design cycles they have managed to implement,... Fascinating stuff really.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2011, 01:39:41 am »

Hi,

I have an Alpha 900, and I'm quite happy. Would I buy another, it wouldn't improve the quality of my images. So I don't really see the logic. My Alpha 99, once it arrives next year will be better than that three year of D3X that Bernard has anyway. Well unless Bernard...

Oh, by the way...

-Lenses matter
-Tripod matters
-Person behind the camera matters
-And, of course, subject also matters

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2011, 01:48:20 am »

Hi,

I have an Alpha 900, and I'm quite happy. Would I buy another, it wouldn't improve the quality of my images. So I don't really see the logic. My Alpha 99, once it arrives next year will be better than that three year of D3X that Bernard has anyway. Well unless Bernard...

-And, of course, subject also matters

Erick,

Of course, you know I am not too serious here, just messing around with my new troll :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2011, 10:11:02 am »

My Alpha 99, once it arrives next year will be better than that three year of D3X that Bernard has anyway. Well unless Bernard...

This is the Camera I'm waiting on too.

Of course, you know I am not too serious here, just messing around with my new troll :-)

Not trolling, it's all just brand loyalty based hyperbole. In good fun on this end too.  And just to bring some love to this thread, and to explain my tardy reply, here's one from last night. :)  

Exp: 13 Sec
Aperture: F/22
Focal Length 16mm
ISO:100
Camera: Sony A900
Lens: Sony CZ 16-35mm f/2.8
Filters: CPL

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

And just to bring some love to this thread, and to explain my tardy reply, here's one from last night. :)  

Nice image. Fall is coming, I love that!

I'll return the compliment with something a bit different.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:06:07 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:47 pm »

This is the Camera I'm waiting on too.

Not trolling, it's all just brand loyalty based hyperbole. In good fun on this end too.  And just to bring some love to this thread, and to explain my tardy reply, here's one from last night. :)  

Exp: 13 Sec
Aperture: F/22
Focal Length 16mm
ISO:100
Camera: Sony A900
Lens: Sony CZ 16-35mm f/2.8
Filters: CPL

nice Lonnie.  Where did you shoot this?

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

Little Cottonwood.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2011, 07:55:47 am »

Bernard, Bjorn Rorslett is testing the Nikon 1 on Nikongear. I for one was ready to write this little puppy off until I started following Bjorn's work in progress. It seems the AF is head and shoulders above ANYTHING else in production! But don't take my word for it, check it out www.nikongear.com.

memento

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2011, 08:50:36 am »

Exactly.

I still can't see a single reason why anyone who is serious about photography – and not just about the newest gadgets and gizmos – would consider one of these Nikons.

Yeah, of course they can take somewhat good pictures, provided the photographer knows what to do. But hey... come on folks: any digital camera can take somewhat good pictures. You really don't need to spend more than 600 Euros for that.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2011, 10:34:30 am »

I still can't see a single reason why anyone who is serious about photography – and not just about the newest gadgets and gizmos – would consider one of these Nikons.

Hum... an autofocus that actually works on moving subjects and dark environments?

Cheers,
Bernard

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2011, 12:39:32 am »

Hum... an autofocus that actually works on moving subjects and dark environments?

Well, then considering the V1/J1's abysmal performance at iso's greater than 400, I'd say these are out too...

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2011, 05:49:11 am »

Well, then considering the V1/J1's abysmal performance at iso's greater than 400, I'd say these are out too...

Abysmal relative to what?

Relative to most compacts, it is extremely good.

Cheers,
Bernard

hjulenissen

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:04 am »

Now, they don't speak about AF speed which should be the best of the bunch in low light conditions.
I think that I have read somewhere that the Nikon use a hybrid AF: phase in good light and contrast in low light?

-h

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2011, 10:23:32 am »

I would buy a 1 series instantly if it would have a flash system that is compatible with the Nikon CLS system. Eg. I can mount a Pocketwizard Mini-TT1 on the 1 series and use it with SB900's and TT5's. If that is the case I would not even consider a Nex.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2011, 11:28:27 am »

I think that I have read somewhere that the Nikon use a hybrid AF: phase in good light and contrast in low light?

I've read and heard that as well.  It was supposedly confirmed by Nikon, but have not seen "the official" Nikon statement.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up