Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?  (Read 2376 times)

Hening Bettermann

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 960
    • landshape.net
Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »

Hi
is there any exposure stacking program that will at the same time handle moving foliage and the like?  Mac preferred.
I just tried the recent update to PhotoAcute and find artifacts even on a tree trunk which had certainly not moved…
Hening

David Eichler

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 841
    • San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:55:15 pm »

Hi
is there any exposure stacking program that will at the same time handle moving foliage and the like?  Mac preferred.
I just tried the recent update to PhotoAcute and find artifacts even on a tree trunk which had certainly not moved…
Hening


Not just an issue with exposure stacking. It will happen whenever you are merging multiple exposures into one image. I wonder if you can do exposure stacking with Photomatix? It has an anti-ghosting feature, although, in my opinion, it does not work well enough for high-quality architectural (with foliage) and landscape subjects.
Logged

Hening Bettermann

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 960
    • landshape.net
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:07:54 pm »

Hi David,
thank you for the hint, I need to try Photomatix then.
Hening.

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »

I've found Autopano Pro to have excellent capabilities in that regard.  In CS5 there's also an option to pick one of the stacked images to use as a reference for moving objects between frames.

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

Hening Bettermann

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 960
    • landshape.net
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:28 pm »

Thank you Mike, I'll have to look into this.
-David, in a short test of 1 image with auto-de-ghosting, the stack in Photomatix had the same ghost branch as in ImageFuser. So like you, I found it not quite satisfactory.

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:28 pm »

Hening:  This will give you some idea of what Autopano Pro can do: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/12/photographing-moving-water/

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

Hening Bettermann

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 960
    • landshape.net
Re: Exposure stacking with moving foliage…?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:58:20 pm »

Thank you Mike,

that is indeed impressive. I had earlier checked APP, but was led to believe that it is designed to make panos, as the name suggests, but not merges of frames with near-identical contents. Upon your recommendation, I'll have a second look at it.

My favorite of your images is #3 - "even" if that is AVOIDING the virtues of APP.

Good light! - Hening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up