Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Sony A900 really the same as the A850?  (Read 1984 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Is the Sony A900 really the same as the A850?
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:50:12 pm »

I have 2 x A850 bodies and several Sony and Zeiss lenses and so I was very interested to read Michael's review of the A65.  In fact I have already pre-ordered an A77 but, and it is a big but, I am going to cancel my order.  Why? Not because of Michael's review but because I have become very unhappy with the whole range of products.  How did it come about that I have 2 Sony 24MP bodies and several lenses before discovering that I was unhappy?

Here is the story.  Last year I bought an A900 with a 24-70 lens as a walkabout (don't laugh) holiday camera for a trip round the Baltic.  It was anything but a walkabout (okay my fault) and I sold it when I returned.  I had not taken many images and didn't have time to look at them until recently.  I was gob smacked with the quality of the images, the contrast, the resolution and regretted bitterly selling the camera so quickly.  An example image is shown below taken handheld (one frame) from the deck of a moving boat in cloudy conditions.

I was so impressed that I went out and bought 2 x A850's, a Zeiss 24-70, Zeiss 135 and a 200mm Minolta lens.  Now I have tried taking images hand held, on a tripod, steadyshot on and off and finally with the micro focus adjusted.  All the images are a long way short of the few taken on my Baltic trip.  Never mind the content they just look soft!

I have read other threads complaining about these products and the variability in quality so I guess I am not alone.  I just wondered has anyone else had a similar experience with these products?  Is the 850 really the same as the 900?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:40:08 pm by David Watson »
David Watson ARPS

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: Sony cameras and lenses - not happy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 05:11:48 pm »

I have had my A900 ever since it was released. As soon as I used it my1DSIII sits on a shelf. The interface is wonderful, and I regularly make 20:x30: prints. Here is a new one hand held with Zeiss 16-35 at 35mm. I just made a 20"x30, two 13"x19"s and sold them only a week after I made the image. "After the Storm" Hurricane Irene, LBI 2011
Best regards

David Watson

• David Watson
Is the Sony A850 really the same as the A900
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:24 pm »

I have had my A900 ever since it was released. As soon as I used it my1DSIII sits on a shelf. The interface is wonderful, and I regularly make 20:x30: prints. Here is a new one hand held with Zeiss 16-35 at 35mm. I just made a 20"x30, two 13"x19"s and sold them only a week after I made the image. "After the Storm" Hurricane Irene, LBI 2011
Best regards

Nice pic!

Have you tried an 850 - are they really the same as the 900 sensor-wise?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:40:51 pm by David Watson »
David Watson ARPS

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: Is the Sony A850 really the same as the A900
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:52:56 pm »

Nice pic!

Have you tried an 850 - are they really the same as the 900 sensor-wise?

My understanding is they are the same, but I cannot prove it...maybe someone else? I should add that I have always used DXO to develop my RAW images, I would have a tough time without it (I'm 74 yrs old, and not a Photoshop expert by any means). I also use PK sharpener for Capture sharpening and Output sharpening. The more "automation" I can get, the better.
Good luck
Dave

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Is the Sony A900 really the same as the A850?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:52 pm »

Hi,

The A850 would have the same image quality as the A900. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? You may post some full size images?

The ZA 24-70/2.8 needs to be stopped down to f/8 at 24 for sharp corners, but the 135/1.8 is supposedly very sharp if focused correctly. Always use MLU (two second timer) when on tripod, if possible.

Best regards
Erik

I have 2 x A850 bodies and several Sony and Zeiss lenses and so I was very interested to read Michael's review of the A65.  In fact I have already pre-ordered an A77 but, and it is a big but, I am going to cancel my order.  Why? Not because of Michael's review but because I have become very unhappy with the whole range of products.  How did it come about that I have 2 Sony 24MP bodies and several lenses before discovering that I was unhappy?

Here is the story.  Last year I bought an A900 with a 24-70 lens as a walkabout (don't laugh) holiday camera for a trip round the Baltic.  It was anything but a walkabout (okay my fault) and I sold it when I returned.  I had not taken many images and didn't have time to look at them until recently.  I was gob smacked with the quality of the images, the contrast, the resolution and regretted bitterly selling the camera so quickly.  An example image is shown below taken handheld (one frame) from the deck of a moving boat in cloudy conditions.

I was so impressed that I went out and bought 2 x A850's, a Zeiss 24-70, Zeiss 135 and a 200mm Minolta lens.  Now I have tried taking images hand held, on a tripod, steadyshot on and off and finally with the micro focus adjusted.  All the images are a long way short of the few taken on my Baltic trip.  Never mind the content they just look soft!

I have read other threads complaining about these products and the variability in quality so I guess I am not alone.  I just wondered has anyone else had a similar experience with these products?  Is the 850 really the same as the 900?

Erik Kaffehr

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:28 am »

With nothing but rave reviews for both the A900 and A850, all of them clearly stating that they're the same sensor, you just need to do some reading.

Now if you want someone to validate your doubts, well you can probably find that too. This can be said of any high-end camera, audio component, computer, bicycle, car...the list goes on.

The A77 will be another SONY milestone, just as the A900 and A850 have been.

Now can someone tell me if my Canon 7D is going to continue giving me error messages or is it the best damned crop sensor SLR out there.... oh wait, that was last years thread. They still are hard to get and they still occasionally build a bad one.

I shoot with the SONY any time I don't need a T/S lens and Canon when I do. The SONY images always look better to me and the client.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

Hi,

The A850 would have the same image quality as the A900. Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? You may post some full size images?

The ZA 24-70/2.8 needs to be stopped down to f/8 at 24 for sharp corners, but the 135/1.8 is supposedly very sharp if focused correctly. Always use MLU (two second timer) when on tripod, if possible.

Best regards
Erik

Erik thank you for your suggestions.  Yes I shoot raw and have tried processing in both C1 and LR but compared to my M9 and the images from the A900 they are just, quite frankly soft even at f8 sharpened.  I don't know whether this is a focus issue or these particular two lenses (24-70 and 135) are not well put together compared to my original 24-70.

Anyway I just don't like what I am seeing and I will be putting the whole kit on Ebay in a week or two.

Best wishes
David Watson ARPS
Pages: [1]   Go Up