Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Losing" Imported Projects  (Read 10654 times)

Kevin Gallagher

"Losing" Imported Projects
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »

At my wit's end here gang, I'll import a group of shots int a new project in Aperture. It will be there when I open Aperture a couple of time and then..the whole GD project is gone! What the heck am I doing wrong?? I've happily used PS, Lightroom, Thumbs+, etc. on the PC platform for many years with no problems. I want to stick with Aperture since moving over to the MAC but this is driving me nutS!!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: "Losing" Imported Projects
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:16:01 am »

Gonna need a little more info  :).  Are the Images gone (from, say, Photos view?), or just the Project?  What is the structure of your Library?  How are you importing?  Anything else noteworthy happening?

Have you looked in the Aperture trash?

Have you cleared all Filters?  (You can filter any container, as well as the hierarchical list of containers shown on the Library tab of the Inspector.)

Version of Aperture and OS X would help as well.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:01 am »

Hi Kirby, I'm using OSX 10.6.8, Aperture 3.1.3 and importing them into a new, named project. That whole named project is what's disappearing on me. The aperture trash is empty.

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:24:39 am »

I'd start with a complete back up of my photos, just in case! Then a permissions repair & see how that changes things.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:23:46 pm »

By any chance are the Images that were in the Project still showing in Photos view?

Is the Project gone from both Projects view and from the Library tab of the Inspector?

Making a backup (Library and, as needed, Masters) and running the usual trouble-shooting is a good idea.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:56:20 pm »

Hi Bill and thanks for the suggestions, it looks like that wasn't it
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 05:00:07 pm »

By any chance are the Images that were in the Project still showing in Photos view?

No they aren't

Is the Project gone from both Projects view and from the Library tab of the Inspector?

Yes.

Here's what may sound like a dumb question but..say I have a project called xxx and then export it as yyy does that mean that xxx project should still be there?  IOW is it like doing a "save as" where you now have the original and the saved as one?
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 05:48:49 pm »

Here's what may sound like a dumb question but..say I have a project called xxx and then export it as yyy does that mean that xxx project should still be there?  IOW is it like doing a "save as" where you now have the original and the saved as one?

Yes and no  :), if I understand you correctly. 

Aperture is completely non-destructive.  It's actually moderately difficult to remove things, particular Images.  Conceptually, Aperture is a place for storing, developing, and publishing digital photographs.  When you publish (export, print) you in no way change anything inside Aperture except that some actions are recorded as having been done (viz.: "emailed", "exported", "printed", "ordered as print", "ordered as book") -- but you are creating a file or set of files outside of Aperture.  ("Export" means "make me an image-format file".)

The answer to your first question is: when you export you must name the files and Finder folders being created, but those names are not applied to any Images or Folders (or Projects or Albums) inside your Aperture Library.

The genius of Aperture is that your Image Adjustments (a/k/a "edits") are saved as text instructions to be applied on-the-fly to your never-altered Master file in order to produce Images as needed.  This uses computational power to minimize storage space needs.  It is only when you need to share your adjusted Images with other programs (what I refer to as "publish"), that Aperture creates and saves to disk a full-size image-format file.

So, going back your metaphor, it's not so much "Save as ... " as it is (again) "Make me a sharable image-format file" from this pair of digital negative (Master) and adjustment instructions (Version)".

HTH.   :-\

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »

No they aren't

Yes.

At this point I would go through the trouble-shooting steps linked to above.  You can skip repairing permissions.  Start with "Repair Database" and if that doesn't work move to "Rebuild".

You might want to see if you can reproduce the problem with a newly created, empty Library.

The most common cause of Aperture wackiness is running out of disk space.  Do you have at least 15% free space on your system drive?
Pages: [1]   Go Up