RawTherapee

Started by mouse, September 01, 2011, 08:44:55 pm

georgelopa

Thanks Frank.

No such options too in RT's preferences. Unfortunately, I only have CNX2 to process my NEF files.

george

robgo2

I realize that RT was originally a Windows program, but they are also developing a Mac version.  I tried it and found it to be virtually unusable.  On those rare occasions when it did not freeze, the results were mediocre.  For Mac users wanting the very best raw conversions, RPP is the one.  RPP is not a full featured workflow machine, but the results are clearly superior to all of the big time programs.  Unfortunately for Windows users, there will probably never be a version for them, according to the developers.

Rob 

joofa

Quote from: robgo2 on November 09, 2011, 10:47:54 am
I realize that RT was originally a Windows program, but they are also developing a Mac version.  I tried it and found it to be virtually unusable. For Mac users wanting the very best raw conversions, RPP is the one.


You can also try Photivo, which is freely available for Mac, Linux and Windows (http://photivo.org/photivo/start), and is much more stable than Rawtherappee.

Joofa
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

mouse

I originally installed version 64_4.0.2.2 and, while it seemed quite interesting, it would frequently crash without any apparent reason.  Running Windows 7/64.
I now see on the RawTherapee site a new (beta?) version 64_4.0.4.2.   However the site also recommends an earlier version (64_3.0.1) as being the most stable.
Anyone have any suggestions?

ejmartin

Windows has the most stability issues, unfortunately.  Version 3 was regarded as being the most stable for some, for others it's version 4 (I can't say, I'm on OSX and it's always been stable for me).  Our windows devs would appreciate feedback if you'd be willing to test and file a report either on the RT user forums

http://rawtherapee.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

or Google code issues

http://code.google.com/p/rawtherapee/issues/list
emil

robgo2


QuoteWindows has the most stability issues, unfortunately.  Version 3 was regarded as being the most stable for some, for others it's version 4 (I can't say, I'm on OSX and it's always been stable for me).


You have to be joking.  I just downloaded the very latest Mac version (dated 11-11-11), and when I open it, all that I see is a page with lots of rectangles, nameless folders and no text whatsoever.  If there are images in some of those folders, there is no way for me to find them.  I have to salute the numerous RT developers for their efforts, but clearly, the program is not ready for prime time.

Rob

ejmartin

Quote from: robgo2 on November 11, 2011, 12:03:10 pm
 

You have to be joking.  I just downloaded the very latest Mac version (dated 11-11-11), and when I open it, all that I see is a page with lots of rectangles, nameless folders and no text whatsoever.  If there are images in some of those folders, there is no way for me to find them.  I have to salute the numerous RT developers for their efforts, but clearly, the program is not ready for prime time.

Rob


No, not joking, but then again I build the executable myself from source.  I downloaded the 4.0.5 development snapshot myself and verified that it has the issue you are reporting.  If you instead download the 4.0.4 development snapshot it should be OK (at least it is for me; if not for you, please report back here).  The problem you reported appears to be coming from an update to one of the library files that the RT UI depends on, not from changes in the RT code base itself.

I'd be the last to argue that RT 4 is a finished product; it's a work in progress, and the downloads being made available are snapshots of the development branch of the code base.  Hopefully it will be finalized in the next few months and released.  That said, it is stable for many users.  I hope you are able to try the 4.0.4 build and see if it works for you.
emil

robgo2

Quote from: ejmartin on November 11, 2011, 12:46:21 pm
No, not joking, but then again I build the executable myself from source.  I downloaded the 4.0.5 development snapshot myself and verified that it has the issue you are reporting.  If you instead download the 4.0.4 development snapshot it should be OK (at least it is for me; if not for you, please report back here).  The problem you reported appears to be coming from an update to one of the library files that the RT UI depends on, not from changes in the RT code base itself.

I'd be the last to argue that RT 4 is a finished product; it's a work in progress, and the downloads being made available are snapshots of the development branch of the code base.  Hopefully it will be finalized in the next few months and released.  That said, it is stable for many users.  I hope you are able to try the 4.0.4 build and see if it works for you.


v.4.0.4 is the build that I tried on my Mac.  It did not work at all.  So, I will continue to use Capture One as my main raw processor and RPP for the really good stuff.

Rob 


ejmartin

Rob, what version of OSX are you running?  The builds are for Snow Leopard.
emil

robgo2

Quote from: ejmartin on November 12, 2011, 02:27:31 pm
Rob, what version of OSX are you running?  The builds are for Snow Leopard.


I am using Snow Leopard (OS10.6.8.)

Rob

cole2010


robgo2

Quote from: cole2010 on February 21, 2012, 08:03:59 am
Very interesting


Sorry, but it's impossible for anyone to discern exactly what you find "very interesting" in this thread or whether it is the entire thread.  Could you please be more specific?

Rob

EduPerez

Quote from: robgo2 on February 21, 2012, 09:32:45 am
Sorry, but it's impossible for anyone to discern exactly what you find "very interesting" in this thread or whether it is the entire thread.  Could you please be more specific?

Rob


There have been several newcomers recently; all share a common pattern with their names, and all of them just post meaningless comments such as this one. I guess they are just spammers, and when these comments become lost among all the comments in this site, their signature will magically change to something far more "interesting".

pcg

There have been a couple references to "RPP" in this thread. Could someone translate that acronym into a program name? Thanks.

Eric Myrvaagnes

A web search for "RPP software" suggests it is Raw Photo Processor, from http://raw-photo-processor.com.

I'm not a Mac person, so I can't comment on it.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

pcg

Thanks, Eric. I'll explore.

pcg

Just downloaded RPP and installed it. So far I give it 3 stars. Nice interface, tremendous control. It'll have a learning curve, and is clearly for serious RAW shooters. But I like what I see.

robgo2

Quote from: pcg on March 12, 2012, 02:08:41 pm
Just downloaded RPP and installed it. So far I give it 3 stars. Nice interface, tremendous control. It'll have a learning curve, and is clearly for serious RAW shooters. But I like what I see.


I am one of the persons who mentioned RPP in this thread.  A word of caution:  RPP is not a full featured image editor, and what you see on the monitor is not a finished product.  In order to get the most from RPP, you almost always have to use a secondary editing program, such as Photoshop, to apply contrast and other adjustments.  As the developers state on their website, RPP is analogous to a film negative from which one then makes a print.  Just try to get a good histogram and Save with optimizing for post-processing (in the File menu).  In evaluating the program, compare the final product to the final product from other software that you might use.  Having done so with numerous images, I am sold on RPP and use it for all of my best pics.

Rob

mouse

Follow-up on my earlier posts.  I have now installed v.4.0.7.1 and it appears to be working perfectly.  Steep learning curve before being able to make use of the very broad range of adjustments. 

Interesting quirk(?).  When I just click on an image to view it in the preview panel, but do not make any adjustments nor save it, it still writes a .pp3 file to the folder.

Am looking forward to a more detailed user's manual.

Keith Reeder

Quote from: mouse on March 19, 2012, 07:26:19 pm
Am looking forward to a more detailed user's manual.


More detailed than this?

Release 4.0.8 is out now, incidentally - some very interesting new features relating to ICC profiles...
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England