Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiles Won't Install.  (Read 2883 times)

Paul_M

Profiles Won't Install.
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »

Hello Color Management Experts. 

I’m trying some Canson Infinity papers for the first time and I'm having issues with the profiles.  I downloaded the profiles and installed them just as I have with other papers from Ilford, Harman, and Museo.  When I go into the Photoshop Proof Setup dialogue, the profiles don’t show up.  They are simply not on the list of profiles to select from when creating a custom proofing configuration.  They also don’t show up in the Epson print driver menus when I try to print. I confirmed that the files are in the correct folder:   windows/system32/spool/drivers/color.  I right-clicked on the files and selected, "Install Profile."  I tried deleting them and reinstalling them.  I even tried rebooting the computer, but none of this helped.  Just to make sure nothing had changed since my success with other profiles, I downloaded another Ilford profile (one I've never used before) and it installed without a hitch.  After that I tried yet another Canson profile and had the same issue, so this problem seems to be unique to the Canson profiles.

I know this is a complicated subject, so I just want to stress that this is not my first time to do this.  I’ve had no problem with profiles from other paper companies, and other printing labs, using the same software, hardware, and installation steps.  I am using Photoshop 6.0.  It's old.  I know.  But, I can’t see why that would matter, especially since the profiles don’t show up in the Epson print menu either and my Epson software is brand new (got my R3000 about 3 weeks ago). 

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. 

Thanks!

Paul

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Profiles Won't Install.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:00 pm »

Maybe you can email me one (Zip) it. I can check it using the ColorSync Profile First Aid on the Mac and look inside it a bit.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul_M

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »

Hi Andrew,

That would be great, but I'm not on my main computer at the moment, so I'll have to send it to you this evening.  Or, if you don't mind, you could just download the profile from the Canson Infinity site.  My printer is Epson R3000 and the profiles I tried are for Platine Fibre Rag, Baryta Photographique, and BFK Rives. 

Thanks,
Paul

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:57:22 pm »

I just went through the same thing with trying to profile my now 6 year old Microtek i900 scanner and gave up.I would get the sacanner to do the actual profiling from the iT8 targets but they would not load or could not be saved to the Microsoft drivers -colors folder despite my best attempts and an hour with tech help remotely taking charge of my machine.
I wonder if some profiles are not 64bit compatable with the newer Op systems?

Paul_M

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 10:20:18 pm »

David, I was wondering the same thing.  Just to do some more troubleshooting, I tried downloading a profile for the Epson 3880 printer, which is older than mine, and it installed with no problem.  Then I thought to check the R3000 profile in Light Room 3 and it shows up.  So my problem seems to be isolated to Canson profiles for the R3000 printer in Photoshop 6.  If it were a 8 vs 16 bit issue, then I still don't understand why it wouldn't show up in the Epson print driver.  Oh well, I guess I'll just use the 3880 profile for soft proofing.  It's probably close enough.  

Paul

Pat Herold

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »

Did we find a solution to this?  I am intrigued.  Is it possible that you downloaded a CMYK profile when you're used to RGB profiles?  CMYK profiles will not show up in the list of profiles available for certain printers.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »

I had noticed something very peculiar when I had tried to save my profiles. I am not at the computer where my scanner is right now but I do remember that when I was assigning the profile to the Windoze color folder the spelling on one or two of the folders in the heirarchy of Windows
                            System 32
                            spool
                            drivers
                            color.
either one or two of the first letters in the folder names were either in caps or lower case in  my computers Windows Folder compared to the names of the folders that were appearing in the save dialogue of the Microtek profiler program, and I could not change itwhen I thought this might be a cause of the error in saving.
Are the names of the folders case sensative? If one of the folder name was in caps whenit should be lower case or visa versa, could this prohibit the profile from loading?
I asked the tech rep and he didn't know.

stalisman

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:38:44 am »

Caps do not matter but the space between 'System' and '32'would.

In windows XP for example the path could be C:\wINDOWS\sYstem32\spool\driVers\Color  and it would still work.

Under XP (Service Pack 3)  I did have problems with V4 ICC Profiles whilst V2 Profiles worked fine.

The color applet for instance fails to display gamut of V4 profiles.

Paul_M

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:32 am »

Did we find a solution to this?  I am intrigued.  Is it possible that you downloaded a CMYK profile when you're used to RGB profiles?  CMYK profiles will not show up in the list of profiles available for certain printers.

Hi Patrick,

I still don't have an answer.  Andrew did check the R3000 profile on his Mac system and had no issue with it, plus it's showing up with LR3, so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my old version of PS.  I ended up using a Platine Fibre Rag profile for the Epson 3880 and it worked fine, but when I tried to the Baryta Photographique profile for the 3880 it behaved exactly like the R3000 profiles and didn't show up.  I'll come back to this thread if I ever figure out what's going on. 

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up