Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End Of Life  (Read 5438 times)

aweheck

End Of Life
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:39 am »

Okay this is my first post, long time lurker.. Kinda strange for a 1st post but I think its a good question or topic to consider.
Here goes. Death and taxes. One we can't cheat. So what is the business plan you have so that your images will be available to either your heirs or
the public once your gone? There are probably hundreds of advertising photographers work that is lost forever either stacked away in moldy boxes
or now on hard drives. Lost inspiration! Sure the famous guys (Penn etc) get remembered but what about the guy who plugged away for 30 years?
I can think a couple of photographers in Chicago who are gone now. Both had out standing work, a unique vision and passion. Their work is no longer
seen. So getting back to the question, What is your business plan to make sure your work continues to live on? I myself don't have one I am looking for
ideas. Thanks
Awheck

stretchdcanvas

Re: End Of Life
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:29:29 pm »

Hmmm.

I've been shooting for 35 years and I'm now 60 years old.  I've been thinking about the same thing.  The mountain of equipment, film and digital archives will be an overwhelming responsibility for my kids.

I've cataloged 12 file drawers of film and started pulling aside what I feel might have some value currently.  Although if there's anything I've learned it's that you never know the documentary value of what we've shot to future generations.  Even what we consider junk could have historic value in the future so I'm having a hard time tossing much of it.

I went digital in 1991 and archived onto DAT tape till around 2000.  The tapes are slowly getting transfered to HDs that get cataloged with CD Finder.  

I haven't done much more that.  

What are you thinking?

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: End Of Life--starting point
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:37 am »

Try this website for a start this discussion.

http://foundationforphotographicpreservation.org/

This sort-of started when Ansel offered his work to the University of California. UC replied "Ansel who?", and U of Arizona in Tucson ended up with his work.

About 1982 or 1983 Steve Crouch, author of "Steinbeck Country" and several other regional books passed away and his ex-wife ended up with his archive. she passed on and his son called my mentor and colleague Al Weber and said he was on the way to the dump... Needless to say, the work was rescued and found a home with the now more enlightened U of C. The story repeats many times.

Chuck Guilder in Evert, Wash. found a place with the Nebraska Historical Society for his archive, but it wasn't withou a hitch, they wanted $$ to handle the collection. Chuck's solution was to print a limited edition portfolio to sell to patrons to finance the aquisition.

There are many approaches, but now's the time to start thinking over the process and get things set up properly and there's info available.

Take care,
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:10:42 am »

This might be of interest - the american photography archive group- http://www.apag.us/

They represent archives of photographers, lot of good info there about setting up your own for your estate.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:19:57 am »

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2011/06/eight-ways-to-preserve-your-pictures.html

6. Craft objects. I mean "craft" as a verb and "objects" meaning tangible art-product. I've made this case before—finely-made things tend to project their own virtue and suggest, even to the uninitiated, their worth. They're likely to be accorded respect and to avoid the contempt that causes other worthless things to be destroyed.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:13 am »

It's not the estate that really counts.  Of course you need to do that but its how the images if there is revenue that can still be obtained from them.  THAT'S WHAT REALLY COUNTS.  If there monies to be made from them.  You need to put them into a LLC so the money goes to that company.  When monies are made from them, the money goes into a account that has that company on it.  This is the interesting part.  If the money hits or gets split into a private back account the greedy tax people want the Lions share.  You can never ever get away from the Fed taxes.  But if you make your LLC in several states like Nevada, Delaware and others no state taxes.

If you keep the monies derived from sales in the LLC account it can be spent WITHOUT paying taxes thru a credit card or checking account on that LLC account.

This is what Movie Stars and Photographers, Original Score writers or any one with a pay as you use intellectual property user needs to do.

Because the government who are crooks will steal your last penny and use it poorly.  Remember the Government has not done anything right.  They could not manage anything better than the private sector except to spend money in stupid areas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »

At age 70 I have had the same questions. I have a decent size stock photo portfolio on many of the microstock agency sites that I really haven't added to the last few years but still yields $400-$500 per month in commissions. Since I am the copyright owner I can name anyone to inherit this property. The only problem is that none, to my knowledge, of the microstock sites have a policy covering such a transfer of ownership. So I'm not sure how that income stream will continue when I'm gone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up