Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?  (Read 2588 times)

hacimd

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 82
Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:04 am »

Can anyone share their experiences using Adobe PS5 with Lion operating system?  I do most of my printing on Epson Printers (9900, 3800 and 11880) through Adobe Photoshop CS5.  Has anyone come across any weird issues or improvements with PS, Epson Driver and Lion working together?  I'm considering the upgrade.  Thanks!
Logged

louoates

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 836
    • Lou Oates Photography
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:29 am »

I've seen lots of problems show up on the Adobe forum and very critical reviews on a number of other sites. Someone tell me again what possible benefit is there for upgrading to a new OS so soon in the face of so many problems?
With other OS upgrades I've learned the hard way to wait at least 6 months for most of the bugs to be fixed.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:19 am »

Last week I installed, on a freshly wiped HD, Mac OS X 10.7, Photoshop CS5, Lightroom and Epson drivers for a 3800. I updated Mac OS X to 10.7.1, Photoshop and Lightroom to the latest version. The Epson driver was downloaded from the Epson website.

So far, no problem but I didn't print a lot of pages and I usually pint via Lightroom. I just tested PS for a couple of pages and didn't notice any issue.
Logged
Francois

louoates

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 836
    • Lou Oates Photography
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:36 am »

Francois,
  I'm glad it's working out for you so far. Many of the OS compatibility issues I've had in the past were problems with third party plugins that I rely upon. Nik programs, Helicon Focus, Eye Candy, rips, to name a few. All caused me numerous headaches I didn't expect. In fact I have many plugins that were never upgraded and I still miss them in my workflow. When I upgrade to Lion it will only be after problems are resolved with all my main software programs.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:36 am »

Francois,
  I'm glad it's working out for you so far. Many of the OS compatibility issues I've had in the past were problems with third party plugins that I rely upon. Nik programs, Helicon Focus, Eye Candy, rips, to name a few. All caused me numerous headaches I didn't expect. In fact I have many plugins that were never upgraded and I still miss them in my workflow. When I upgrade to Lion it will only be after problems are resolved with all my main software programs.
I'm not using Nik products but I've been using Pixel Genius' Sharpener 2.0.1 and Enfuse LR plug-in. I've tried Helicon Focus 4.2.7 and it seems to run no worse that with Mac OS X 10.6.8 (a bit unstable).
Logged
Francois

tomrock

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 247
    • http://tomrockwell.com
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:51 am »

I'm using Lion with PS CS5, LR 3.x and an Epson 3880. No problems at all.

Even though there may have been problems in the past with other upgrades, statistically that doesn't mean there will be problems with this upgrade.

Caution is good, though.
Logged

schrodingerscat

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 374
Re: Experience with Lion, Epson and CS5?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:34 am »

I received an email from X-rite. i1 Match is a PPC based app that runs on Rosetta in the background(even if you don't have Rosetta installed). Lion will not support PPC and Rosetta, so this will break any apps that rely on Rosetta. Unfortunately X-rite(Gretag Macbeth) wants $400+ for the software update to make their stuff current.

As I've been using i1 Photo Pro for quite some time, without having installed Rosetta, this was news to me. I'm sticking with 10.6.x as long as I can, mostly due to not being interested in the Cloud, the iStores, or social networking. Have not read anything to indicate Lion actually improves computer performance. Seems to just turn your machine into a glorified ipod/phone.

Before moving to Lion, best to check how that will effect you current apps, plugins, etc.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up