Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for high end Business Card?  (Read 27784 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Recommendation for high end Business Card?
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:29 am »

Can you recommend a high end business card printing company? I have used vista print but the paper quality is not that nice...

Any recommendations?

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: Recommendation for high end Business Card?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:20:33 pm »

Don't go cheap on business cards. I hired a design agency, chose ten different motifs, got 1000 printed on really nice paper, the cards alone cost me €800. Worth every penny, if you get just one decent jobs out of it.

-------------------------
[url=http://ww

bmarvin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 09:34:05 pm »

I second geesbert's comments.  don't skimp.  i found a small 2 man design firm via some work i saw on lovelystationary.com that i really liked and sent them an email about what i was hoping to accomplish.  they turned out quite nice.  below is a link to the design firm and the post they did on my cards.  enjoy

http://cododesign.posterous.com/blake-marvins-letterpress-cards-sticker

Blake
blakemarvin.com

Blake

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:34 am »

I work up my own in Photoshop, and then print them with my Z3100 on Hahnemühle rag papers. They get great comments.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:06:42 am »

www.moo.com rocks for very heavy, high-quality, photo business cards.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:48:58 am »

I second geesbert's comments.  don't skimp.  i found a small 2 man design firm via some work i saw on lovelystationary.com that i really liked and sent them an email about what i was hoping to accomplish.  they turned out quite nice.  below is a link to the design firm and the post they did on my cards.  enjoy

http://cododesign.posterous.com/blake-marvins-letterpress-cards-sticker

Blake
blakemarvin.com

The registration of the two spot colours is not very precise.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:55:11 pm »

www.moo.com rocks for very heavy, high-quality, photo business cards.

Neil

Moo is nice, heavy stock and a nice finish, but I wouldn't call their print quality high end. Noticeable jaggies in the photos for one thing.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:23:03 am »

Weird, I never had jaggies issues with their work.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »

I do something similar to Justan.

I had a custom stamp made and put the stamp onto an off white mat board cut into 2" squares.  Anyone I've given them to is very impressed.  They like the fact that the shape is a bit different.  They like that the weight is substantial.  They like the idea of using the mat board as a photographer.  They also like the fact that it's, essentially, hand made.  Even though it's not the standard rectangular shape, it still fits in business card books (most rectangular cards are ~2x3).  The only thing I'd do differently another time is to make the text slightly larger.  It's fine as is, but slightly larger wouldn't hurt.  Stamp cost about $30 or so.  Mat board costs about $10 for a full sheet of 32x40.  Your time to cut and stamp is whatever it is.

There's a difference between a business card and a promo card.  Promo cards or as some people call them 'trading cards' are larger, often more post card size and can contain more information.  More difficult to file away and keep.  I've never been a big fan of putting images on business cards (although I have done it) because the images can end up so small as to be inconsequential. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:08:14 pm by BobFisher »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 09:44:07 am »

Can you recommend a high end business card printing company? I have used vista print but the paper quality is not that nice...

Any recommendations?
As other have said, hire a really good graphic designer who also understands marketing and that your card / logo/ stationary, etc. is meant to showcase your work and not their work. They will have contacts with paper companies and printers.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 01:52:31 pm »

I am reminded of the restaurants with the impressive, heavy menus printed on luxurious stock with the best inks and calligraphy - and mediocre food.

If I receive a truly impressive and expensive business card, my first thought is that here is someone whose work is not good enough to bring in business, they must resort to marketing tricks.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:46:54 pm »

I am reminded of the restaurants with the impressive, heavy menus printed on luxurious stock with the best inks and calligraphy - and mediocre food.

If I receive a truly impressive and expensive business card, my first thought is that here is someone whose work is not good enough to bring in business, they must resort to marketing tricks.

Yeah, dream on. Clients looking for a photographer to sell their products always go for the photographer who doesn't show that they are able to use their craft to promote themself.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

RFPhotography

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »

Yeah, dream on.

Not that I ever really understand what most people on here are trying to say - ignoring language barriers; proper use of the Queen's English seems to elude many - but it seems that you and Peter are in agreement so I don't really see the need for the "Yeah, dream on." comment. 

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »

Taste and good aesthetics must be considered a marketing trick? ??? A photographer with a mediocre BC is a better photographer :o Please check this logo www.photometria.gr ,it was made by me and it's used without any change on my BC, I've printed 200 on good quality paper and now I'm looking for an excellent one to settle and print 5000 more! The logo can be read in 100 different languages and 3 different alphabets with 100% success!!  ;) A photographer is an artist and his BC (along with his site) is his laconic expression!  8) Cheers Theodoros.

RFPhotography

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »

You've got a picture of a girl in a dirndl holding a camera on your business card?  ???

PeterAit

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:51 pm »

I said nothing about taste and aesthetics. I was talking about extravagance when it comes to paper stock and printing.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »

If you haven't already found what you are looking for, this will hopefully be of some use to you and perhaps others. I am a graphic designer as well as a photographer. I had quite a time trying out various online printing solutions before finding a select few that met my standards. Vista prints is certainly out of the question. For my own cards I chose uvcards.com/ They offered quite a number of options (silk lamination gives a great feel) and an incredible price. (<$150 USD for 500) Their quality is quite respectable. One thing I particularly paid attention to when selecting a printer was die cuts. Some places looked like they cut them with scissors!  :o
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 02:08:23 pm by jonathanrimmel »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:52:41 pm »

If you haven't already found what you are looking for, this will hopefully be of some use to you and perhaps others. I am a graphic designer as well as a photographer. I had quite a time trying out various online printing solutions before finding a select few that met my standards. Vista prints is certainly out of the question. For my own cards I chose uvcards.com/ They offered quite a number of options (silk lamination gives a great feel) and an incredible price. (<$150 USD for 500) Their quality is quite respectable. One thing I particularly paid attention to when selecting a printer was die cuts. Some places looked like they cut them with scissors!  :o

Well, I recently gave Moo another try and got a very nice result this time. Not inexpensive, but very nice quality. I particularly like the finish and thickness, and the photo quality was very nice this time, although I would like to have more control over the exact crop of the photo. Do you know how uvcard might compare with Moo? Not expecting the same quality necessarily. But could use some less expensive cards for some purposes, and don't need them to be as thick.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 10:43:59 am »

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a well designed and original business card that creates an impact. A photographer is an artist, and his business card should reflect his artistic capabilities, his brand, and his taste.
Being a graphic designer myself, I designed my own card.
For the paper, I chose Wausau Royal Complements Bright White stock triplexed for a very heavy feel, and I went with letter press printing. It really makes the card stand out, and actually makes a sound when you drop it on the table.
Although they were quite expensive, at approximately $1.80/piece, I think it was worth every penny.
Every time I give one of my cards out, they are treated like a piece of artwork.
The company I used to print the cards is "Studio on Fire" and Ben was very helpful, patient, and professional.
This is a link to my card: http://www.beastpieces.com/tag/zachary-goulko/
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

PeterAit

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 03:34:12 pm »

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a well designed and original business card that creates an impact. A photographer is an artist, and his business card should reflect his artistic capabilities, his brand, and his taste.
Being a graphic designer myself, I designed my own card.
For the paper, I chose Wausau Royal Complements Bright White stock triplexed for a very heavy feel, and I went with letter press printing. It really makes the card stand out, and actually makes a sound when you drop it on the table.
Although they were quite expensive, at approximately $1.80/piece, I think it was worth every penny.
Every time I give one of my cards out, they are treated like a piece of artwork.
The company I used to print the cards is "Studio on Fire" and Ben was very helpful, patient, and professional.
This is a link to my card: http://www.beastpieces.com/tag/zachary-goulko/

Makes a sound when dropped? Really? A dollar eighty? Criminy, why not spend $10 and have your cards engraved on granite slabs? That'll make a sound, I guarantee it.

Now, maybe this kind of marketing really does work. Not being a commercial photog I couldn't say. Still, it has the distinct aroma of "silly."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up