Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What luminance value should I use?  (Read 2197 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
What luminance value should I use?
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:16:29 pm »

When making a profile for my NEC P221w, what is the appropriate luminance value.  I've read that 120 is common.  The default on my monitor is 140. I'm curious what luminance others use.  Also i am leaving the white balance at 6500 and gamma 2.2. 

Hugh

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: What luminance value should I use?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:34:14 pm »

It really depends on your print viewing environment...you need to learn how to match your screen display to your print viewing environment. Andrew Rodney has produced a useful tutorial Why are my Prints too Dark. The bottom line is that your display luminance depends on your viewing luminance. I run y NEC displays at about 160, but I have a GTI viewing box that I can adjust digitally. You need to determine how you are going to be displaying your prints (or other output).

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:48:51 am »

Thank you for the response - I really appreciate the help.  Yes, Andrew's was helpful - at least what I could understand.  I almost didn't buy a new monitor because of the argument that if viewing conditions are different why bother.  However Andrew points out that if the print matches the monitor than inevitably it will look as good as it can in other lighting situations (or something like that).  Also, I think I now understand the relationship between the monitor luminance and the viewing box lighting. I'll start at 140 and go from there.  No I can't afford a GTI viewing box, but I have considered solux bulbs.  Hopefully my prints won't be too dark.

Hugh
www.yosemitecollection.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:57:49 am »

No I can't afford a GTI viewing box, but I have considered solux bulbs.  Hopefully my prints won't be too dark.

You can easily set up a couple of Solux bulbs in the correct fixture to create a standard viewing environment...the key will be to match the output luminance to both the print and display...can't tell you that 140 is the perfect number. It depends on the output environment as well as the display viewing environment. Since I can dial in my display viewing, I've adjusted my display to match the print environment...my ambient light (beyond the display and print) is pretty controlled and neutral. So it's a pretty optimal setup.

trinityss

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:46:42 am »

You can easily set up a couple of Solux bulbs in the correct fixture to create a standard viewing environment...the key will be to match the output luminance to both the print and display...can't tell you that 140 is the perfect number. It depends on the output environment as well as the display viewing environment. Since I can dial in my display viewing, I've adjusted my display to match the print environment...my ambient light (beyond the display and print) is pretty controlled and neutral. So it's a pretty optimal setup.

Do you have a order number or link to a webshop where I can buy these Solux bulbs?
Are these bulbs dimmable?

Thx!

Steve House

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:49 am »

Do you have a order number or link to a webshop where I can buy these Solux bulbs?
Are these bulbs dimmable?

Thx!

www.solux.net

AFAIK they are freely dimmable but that would change their colour temperature.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:13:34 pm by Steve House »
Pages: [1]   Go Up