Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: target to camera distance for MFA tests?  (Read 2414 times)

FrankG

target to camera distance for MFA tests?
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »

To set my Micro Focus Adjustment  (5D MKII & Canon lenses) target distances, I have read a few conflicting suggestions:
1. 50x the lens focal length
2. average shooting distance when using that lens
Is there a correct or absolute distance?
Does it change when using a lens close or far away from the subject? I would have thought that if it is fractionall shifting the sensor or focus plane then that should be good for all distances with that particular lens and body

thanks
Frank

jljonathan

Re: target to camera distance for MFA tests?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »

Canon suggests 50x the lens focal length. That's what I use.
Jonathan

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »

To set my Micro Focus Adjustment  (5D MKII & Canon lenses) target distances, I have read a few conflicting suggestions:
1. 50x the lens focal length
2. average shooting distance when using that lens
Is there a correct or absolute distance?
Does it change when using a lens close or far away from the subject? I would have thought that if it is fractionall shifting the sensor or focus plane then that should be good for all distances with that particular lens and body

Hi Frank,

Obviously you want the AF to focus correctly on the distances that matter most, for you.

The 50-100x focal length suggestion, which will require a large target and shooting distance for longer telelens designs, is a traditional distance often used in the film era. What really matters is that the fine detail on the target has a higher resolution than the highest resolution component in the imaging chain.

At 50x focal length, the magnification factor of the image projection on the sensor plane is almost 1:50. That means that if one prints a target oneself, say at a 300 or 360 ppi resolution, the finest detail will be about 0.006 lp/mm, and combined with the 1/50th magnification that will produce optical information with a resolution up to 9000 lp/mm. I can assure you that that exceeds the capabilities of virtually any lens in air, and certainly exceeds the (non-antialiasing filtered) sensor resolution by a large margin. So 50x FL is a very conservative and very safe criterion.

I would AF microadjust at the relevant focus distances for your common shooting distances, provided they are not much closer than say 25x focal length if you want to ensure some validity at occasionally larger focus distances as well. At close focusing distances your test target needs to have higher resolution, and that may become difficult when closer than 25x focal distance. But even then, there is nothing that kills resolution as fast as slight defocus.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

FrankG

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »

Thank you for this information.

If I understand you correctly, it will be a more accurate MFA if the target is 50x the focal length away, rather than closer.
For example, 50x an 85mm lens is just over 14 feet.
My usual working distance with my 85mm/1.8 for medium or close portraits is considerably closer than 14 feet.
But I will do my MFA adjustment at 14+ feet.

Regarding the target used for MFA tests. There are a few on the market but they are quite pricey !
Why cant one use a flat metal ruler or yardstick as found in Home Depot. Or even a printed page. Or anything else that will allow you to see whether it's sharp or not when enlarged to 100% on your monitor/screen?
Of course it would be necessary to do an MFA on either side f the one you think is correct, to have an immediate and direct comparison. For example, if I deduce from my test that and adjustment of +2 is necessary, then I should also do one at +1 & + 3 to place next to it, all at 100%, to be sure it's the right one. The resolution of the target material itself doesn't change this.
Or am i wrong ?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:12:46 pm »

Why cant one use a flat metal ruler or yardstick as found in Home Depot. Or even a printed page. Or anything else that will allow you to see whether it's sharp or not when enlarged to 100% on your monitor/screen?
you actually can use your LCD monitor... for example = http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html

FrankG

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

those patterns hurt my eyes and make me silly  :o :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up