Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 4880, Advanced BW and OSX Lion = custom ABW profiles not usable.  (Read 6498 times)

littlejacek

Has anybody else noticed custom Epson ABW profiles are not usable in OSX Lion?   I have to select "printer manages color" in both CS5 and LR3.4 in order to select ABW which removes the option to send the print to the epson driver with a custom profile.    I hope they have a fix for this soon as the default ABW is awful but with a good profile is borderline magical.

Thanks,

Jack

littlejacek

Re: epson 4880, Advanced BW and OSX Lion = custom ABW profiles not usable
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »

SOLVED.

Turns out the issue is not related to Lion.   Driver update 14275.dmg introduced the issue.   Rolled back to 13917.dmg and I'm back in business....which is also working well under Lion. I tested both driver sets on 10.7 and 10.6.8. 

There is also a possibility that the blocker is coming from Adobe's end as well but was only exposed in 14275.  I'm sure it will get worked out.

Jack

gromit

Re: epson 4880, Advanced BW and OSX Lion = custom ABW profiles not usable.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:56:27 pm »

Cue sound of crickets ...

littlejacek

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:44 pm »

Cue sound of troll ...

John77

• Zenfolio
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 05:14:52 am »

Same issue, here, with an Epson 3880 and the last driver 8.64 (Europe). It was working with 6.60 release... :-(

Doombrain

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:24 am »

Not sure i understand this. The ABW mode does not use ICC profiles to print, 'printer manages color' is the correct setting if using ABW mode.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

But one can make and use custom ABW profiles by simply treating the ABW mode in the driver as just another "driver setting" to be characterized.  I think that's what the OP was trying to do. 
Eric Chan

gromit

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:14:11 pm »

But one can make and use custom ABW profiles by simply treating the ABW mode in the driver as just another "driver setting" to be characterized.  I think that's what the OP was trying to do. 

Check out this earlier thread where I documented in detail issues with ABW on the 7900/9900 on a Mac:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=56119.0

Two conclusions:

1. This forum just isn't the place to discuss it. I could add a snide comment about low expectations, but I won't.

2. There's no impetus to get any of this fixed, so if you've got something that works, stick with it.

Doombrain

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:13 am »

Ahh, I see.

Should be updating to Lion soon so will have a play.

Also I agree with Gromit. ABW was never designed to produce targets so why spend the dev time/money in fixing an issue that never was.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:17 pm »

Disagree.  Just because a driver mode wasn't "designed" to make targets doesn't mean it can't be successfully and usefully characterized.  This can be very handy when printing on third-party papers where the tone response varies widely.  Printing ABW targets and building profiles from them continues to work properly on Windows.  It's only on the Mac (with some driver and OS combos) where it doesn't work.
Eric Chan

JimGoshorn

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »

Is there a listing of the combinations of drivers and printers and OS versions that are not working with ABW profiles under OSX?

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up