Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson 9890 "ink cartridge error replace cartridge" on ALL cartridges  (Read 12450 times)

vudutu

Got a new 9890, set it up worked fine for awhole then started throwing an error "ink cartridge error replace cartridge" on ALL cartridges. Tried reseating them all, the show ok until you put in the last one (could be any of them) then it shows all of them bad. Called service waiting on a tech, anyone with a 9890 seen this?

Silvin

Re: New Epson 9890 "ink cartridge error replace cartridge" on ALL cartridges
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm expecting the exactly same problem on myu Epson Stylus Pro 7890.

I've just replaced a bamper and when I restart the printer today all my cartridges are error. The exact error : INK CARTRIDGE ERROR - REPLACE CARTRIDGE
I've already replaced a bamper and had not expected this kind of problem before.

When I insert 8 carts on 9, the screen show me one cart missing and others OK but when I insert the 9th cartridge the error appear for all of them.

Anybody have an idea about this troubleshooting ?

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:27 pm »

I give this a less than 1% shot at working, but I'll mention it anyway because that really sucks.  Try updating firmware if there's a more recent version.  One of the 9900 firmware updates had a fix for improper ink cartridge error.  Updating my 9900 got me around an ink cartridge error for a single cartridge.  That said, the 9890 and 7890 might have been released after that 9900 firmware update was out already, so those models might have not had the same problem...
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:13:09 pm »

I recall a post with the same problem last year.
Turns out the tech that came to repair her 9890 told her that the right side  ink bay had some sort of design or assembly  flaw that if it was loose or shifted slightly from moving the printer  the carts would not register due to improper pin contact with the carts.
I once accidently banged the right side of my 9890 with a swivel chair when the machine was pretty new and had a similar problem with two of carts on the right side not registering. Also make sure the blank carts in the extra slots are in properly.
I think I gave the machine a hard slap on that side by the cart door and brought it back to life !
 do it with the machine turned off and the carts out then re install the carts and see if that clears things up.
David
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:47:17 am by davidh202 »

photos4u2c

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »

Did you ever find out what the problem was with your 9890 ?  I am having the same issues and the epson tech is even baffled.

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:45 pm »

Got a new 9890, set it up worked fine for awhole then started throwing an error "ink cartridge error replace cartridge" on ALL cartridges. Tried reseating them all, the show ok until you put in the last one (could be any of them) then it shows all of them bad. Called service waiting on a tech, anyone with a 9890 seen this?

Having encountered many issues with the 9900 I learned rather quickly that while it's under warranty the FIRST approach is a swift call to Epson.  That's what the warranty is for after all.  That's their job, so why not take advantage of the warranty and give them a call.  Once you've placed your 10th service call it becomes a rather routine procedure and they'll know you by then.  You shouldn't rely on this or any other forum to solve all of your issues when Epson is there to help.  Not saying that you can't learn a lot of great stuff about your printer on this forum, you definitely can!  All of the information you find here will be very handy once the warranty has expired.  Also, it has been my experience that one of the best insurance policies you can buy for these printers is a warranty extension.  Believe me, you'll sleep better at night knowing your issues can be solved with a phone call, and even the call is covered.

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

photos4u2c

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 04:23:51 pm »

Just so everyone knows.... I had three ink cartridges with bad chips.  I really don't understand how 3 would go bad at once,  but it works great now. Epson tech replaced circuit boards, power supplies, etc. and nothing worked. Replaced the three almost full 350 ml carts and it works like it did before. Luckily, I had a few cartridges of inks laying around that were almost empty. That's how we figured it out.

na goodman

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

So, you're saying that trying different cartridges was not the tech's first line of defense?

davidh202

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »

So, you're saying that trying different cartridges was not the tech's first line of defense?

that would have been too easy;-) and they could not bill enough time spent!

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 08:27:18 pm »

Just so everyone knows.... I had three ink cartridges with bad chips.  I really don't understand how 3 would go bad at once,  

It could have been static discharge?
the chips are not to be touched as a static charge can ruin them. Did you ever notice the blue plastic that they a packed in.. that is anti static plastic. That is why there are warnings to never touch the chips -contacts.
David

photos4u2c

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:05 am »

The first thing I asked him was could it be the cartridges and he said no way. It was doing really weird things. You could take one cartridge out on the left bay and they would all read on the right. As soon as you put the one cartridge in on the left bay, you would get three cartridge errors on the right bay. You could put the inks in one at a time on the right bay and they would all read until you put in the last one then three cartridge errors. It didn't matter what order you put in the inks.

They were factory Epson inks in the blue packaging. I never touch the the chips. The printer had been running all week no problems. I turned it on one morning and bam.  No storms and it is plugged in to a surge protector.

The Epson tech was a great guy and was really fair . I felt kinda bad for him after coming by four days and working 3-4 hours a day.

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:56 am »

The first thing I asked him was could it be the cartridges and he said no way. The Epson tech was a great guy and was really fair . I felt kinda bad for him after coming by four days and working 3-4 hours a day.

I was taught as a tech many moons ago, to always start with the most basic, obvious checks first, then work down to the problem from there.
His mistake, don't feel sorry for him! They are getting big bucks billing Epson for unnecessary time!     

Pages: [1]   Go Up