Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Really Great, CHEAP, Carbon Fiber Tripod and Head combo  (Read 11139 times)

SBP

A Really Great, CHEAP, Carbon Fiber Tripod and Head combo
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:41 pm »

I'm not much for reviews so ill keep it short and to the point. I was wanting a new Carbon Fiber ot ake with me backpacking. I really didn't want to drop $700-900 on a Gitzo but I appreciate their quality. I also didn't want to drop $400 on a RRS Ballhead, even as badly as I wanted it. I figured id go the cheap route and try to land a good combo of a HIGH VALUE tripod and Head. I ended up with better than I expected. Much better.

TRipod: Hakuba MG-503mx  $199... and comes with a split column, rock bag and carrying case (won't fit in case with ballhead). The short column allows me to get super super low. Super sturdy, 26lb weight and handles it easily. Super light without ballhead 3lb. Wish it was a 4 piece!

Head: Vanguard SBH-300 $99...  40lb rated weight. Held the setup in my photo for 2hrs and the levels were completely unbudged. I would have used a bigger lense but don't have one handy. A tad on the heavy side at 1.6lb.

Food for thought for anyone in the market. This is a great combo. I definately am blown away by the tripod for sure. Amazing build quality for the price. Comes with a great pan and tilt head also if you need it.

Ballhead never budged

stock photos

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: A Really Great, CHEAP, Carbon Fiber Tripod and Head combo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:03:47 pm »

Hi,

Great! It reminds me of my Velbon Sherpa Pro 630, also a good one!

I mostly use a Gitzo GT3541LS (It think) but the Sherpa is actually also nice.

Best regards
Erik

I'm not much for reviews so ill keep it short and to the point. I was wanting a new Carbon Fiber ot ake with me backpacking. I really didn't want to drop $700-900 on a Gitzo but I appreciate their quality. I also didn't want to drop $400 on a RRS Ballhead, even as badly as I wanted it. I figured id go the cheap route and try to land a good combo of a HIGH VALUE tripod and Head. I ended up with better than I expected. Much better.

TRipod: Hakuba MG-503mx  $199... and comes with a split column, rock bag and carrying case (won't fit in case with ballhead). The short column allows me to get super super low. Super sturdy, 26lb weight and handles it easily. Super light without ballhead 3lb. Wish it was a 4 piece!

Head: Vanguard SBH-300 $99...  40lb rated weight. Held the setup in my photo for 2hrs and the levels were completely unbudged. I would have used a bigger lense but don't have one handy. A tad on the heavy side at 1.6lb.

Food for thought for anyone in the market. This is a great combo. I definately am blown away by the tripod for sure. Amazing build quality for the price. Comes with a great pan and tilt head also if you need it.

Ballhead never budged

stock photos

Erik Kaffehr

SBP

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:54:13 pm »

Yup i've heard its very similar. This was an alternative to the 3541ls which I was going to get actually.

jdemott

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:26:54 pm »

I've had a Hakuba tripod for years--never had a problem even with exposure to water, sand, etc.  I use an Acratech ballhead...a little more expensive than yours, but lighter and the tripod fits in the case with the ballhead attached.
John DeMott

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:43 am »

Hi,

The Acratech was an old favorite of mine, too.

Best regards
Erik

I've had a Hakuba tripod for years--never had a problem even with exposure to water, sand, etc.  I use an Acratech ballhead...a little more expensive than yours, but lighter and the tripod fits in the case with the ballhead attached.
Erik Kaffehr

SBP

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:37 am »

I really liked the Acratech too but the Vanguard holds 70lb vs the Acratechs 25lb so I went with it for $100!. It's a super nice Ballhead for the price. I was quite shocked.

Enchanter

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:21 am »

Nice buy. However, I wouldn't hang another camera on your lens like that because it will place a lot of strain on your camera lens mount. One of the reasons heavier lenses have foot mounts. 

Wellington, New Zealand

SBP

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »

Nice buy. However, I wouldn't hang another camera on your lens like that because it will place a lot of strain on your camera lens mount. One of the reasons heavier lenses have foot mounts. 

That camera fried out about 3 weeks ago.  >:(

SBP

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:00:40 pm »

Sidenote: I need a new head. This one is great and heavy duty but much too heavy at 1.6lb to be carrying on day hikes etc hanging off my Camelbak.

I need something around 9-12oz max that can hold 25lb+ at least. Anyone have a better recommendation than the Acratech by chance?

Also would love to be able to use a RRS L plate, this Vanguard is not Arca Swiss mount!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 02:17:45 am »

Hi,

I'd recommend the Acratech Ultimate Ball Head or one of their new versions, the RRS BH-40. Markins heads also have very good reputation.

Best regards
Erik

Sidenote: I need a new head. This one is great and heavy duty but much too heavy at 1.6lb to be carrying on day hikes etc hanging off my Camelbak.

I need something around 9-12oz max that can hold 25lb+ at least. Anyone have a better recommendation than the Acratech by chance?

Also would love to be able to use a RRS L plate, this Vanguard is not Arca Swiss mount!
Erik Kaffehr

SBP

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18:41 am »

Hi,

I'd recommend the Acratech Ultimate Ball Head or one of their new versions, the RRS BH-40. Markins heads also have very good reputation.

Best regards
Erik

Cool. I do like the Acratech actually. Would you say that a 25lb head would be ok to support the type of weight supported in that first photo?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:25:04 pm »

One major No-NO for me is the twist to unlock legs. If a tripod doesn't have quick unlock/lock tabs I simply avoid it. I have an old Slik with twist and I use a Bogen gear head on it, and it is more stationary, but for anything that I will move in lanscape type work, I would not get a twist lock system.  I have had the SLIK for about 10 years and even marking the direction for lock and unlock and the number of times to turn it..it is theee most frustrating thing.

I like the way it goes low and looks like the legs can work independently, and hope they lock in various stops.
I'm not a ball head user, and always thought to try it, but I hate to fiddle around to level things off.

Anyone know of any CF tripod with tab lock under $200? and about or under 3lbs?
I ask this weight as I think Alum+mag combo also are very light weight.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 12:12:11 am »

Hi,

I used my Acratech with 400/4.5 + 2X extender. In my view it worked pretty well as any other ballhead I had, (I have RRS BH40 and BH55). The main issue with the Acratech was the QR-plate. I mixed up the "pan" and "QR" knobs very often.

All ballheads I had don't hold composition with long lens. It may depend more on everything having flex than tripod head on it's own, but that is the reason I got an ArcaSwiss D4 geared head.

Best regards
Erik

Cool. I do like the Acratech actually. Would you say that a 25lb head would be ok to support the type of weight supported in that first photo?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up