Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this color Moiré? Or is it something else?  (Read 1525 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Is this color Moiré? Or is it something else?
« on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

Hi,

I happen to have a picture with something that looks like color Moiré, but may be something else. What is your take?

The image was taken with a 400 mm lens + 1.4 extender at f/10. I was not expecting Moiré but I see something that looks like Moiré to me. The camera I used was a Sony Alpha SLT55. It is 16 MP on APS/C. It is possible that it has little in way of OLP filtering, I don't know.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Is this color Moiré? Or is it something else?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:16:46 pm »

I happen to have a picture with something that looks like color Moiré, but may be something else. What is your take?

Hi Erik,

It might have something to do with it, although with all the glass and f/10 it is not that likely. It could also be light refraction in the hairs. Maybe it is just false color artifacts from the demosaicing process. Which Raw converter did you use? Does another Raw converter show the same?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:28:12 pm »

Hi,

I used LR 3. The image is very similar with "process version 2003" and it seems that I don't have burned out highlights. I may test with some other raw-converters but it could take until next week as I go abroad a couple of days. Sharpening matters little and the pattern is also visible in monochrome.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

It might have something to do with it, although with all the glass and f/10 it is not that likely. It could also be light refraction in the hairs. Maybe it is just false color artifacts from the demosaicing process. Which Raw converter did you use? Does another Raw converter show the same?

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:30 pm »

I agree that with all that glass, it could be something like chromatic aberration along the edges of highlighted whiskers. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »

Hi!

No, I don't think so. I know what chromatic aberration looks like. Also this is actually at center of the image so it cannot be lateral chromatic aberration and axial chroma looks very different.

This crop is four times magnification (4:1):

Best regards
Erik

I agree that with all that glass, it could be something like chromatic aberration along the edges of highlighted whiskers. 
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:04:22 pm »

Bart,

I looked at another picture from the series and developed with RawDeveloper, I'd say the artifacts are still there but much less visible:

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

I used LR 3. The image is very similar with "process version 2003" and it seems that I don't have burned out highlights. I may test with some other raw-converters but it could take until next week as I go abroad a couple of days. Sharpening matters little and the pattern is also visible in monochrome.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up