Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca Swiss D4, a small and well designed geared tripod head  (Read 15092 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I have a short video and a few comments on the Arca Swiss 4D: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/53-arca-swiss-d4

I'll probably add some text and images later on.

I bought my at Robert White in UK.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:57:37 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

greygrad

Re: Arca Swiss D4, a small and well designed geared tripod head
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:49:13 am »

Thanks - nice to see it in action.

Is that a RRS plate you're using? I noticed RW is just stocking the fliplock clamp on the D4 and wondered how compatible the RRS plates are...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:49:22 am »

Hi,

The Arca "fliplock" has dual tracks, so old style ArcaSwiss plates are support. The RRS-plates work fine, but the there are stopping screws on the RRS that have no function on the fliplock. The Fliplock is adjustable.

I'm not really sold on the Fliplock, but it works. In my view it's to flimsy and over engineered.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks - nice to see it in action.

Is that a RRS plate you're using? I noticed RW is just stocking the fliplock clamp on the D4 and wondered how compatible the RRS plates are...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:18:24 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

buckshot

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:37:02 pm »

Nice video Erik - thanks.

One question - do you think it would it be possible to install a RRS PCL-1 panning clamp by removing the A/S one?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:18 am »

Hi,

Well, I'm going to ask Really Right Stuff a similar question... It's certainly possible but may not be easy. The mounting screw needs some special tool and is probably also fixed with Locktite or similar.

A few comments:

- Just replacing the QR would leave you with two panoramic plates on the top.

- There is a dovetail attachement to the PCL-1 so it can be inserted quickly in any Arca Swiss style QR, That is of course QR on QR.

- Finally, the best option may be to buy the D4 head without QR, but it may be hard to find.

Best regards
Erik

Nice video Erik - thanks.

One question - do you think it would it be possible to install a RRS PCL-1 panning clamp by removing the A/S one?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:06:06 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ccroft

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »

Hey Erik,
You might be interested in some pictures on this German forum: german D4 topic

One of the guys there has replaced the Arca pano with NovoFlex, and he's posted pics of D4 with clamp off, and then with the whole pano off. I don't speak the language, and you probably know how weird Google translate is, but from what I've been able to deduce it seems he drilled 3 small holes in the Arca top plate and bolted the Novo pano to the D4 thru them. He may have tapped some corresponding holes in the NovoFlex, or maybe they're already there.

Seems like a fairly extreme mod, but if you have some (very) basic machine-shop skills it might be possible to do the same with RRS pano.

At any rate, these pics will give you a better idea of what's under the clamp and pano. I can't remember for sure but I think I had to register with the forum to view.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »

Thanks for the hint.

Best regards
Erik

Hey Erik,
You might be interested in some pictures on this German forum: german D4 topic

One of the guys there has replaced the Arca pano with NovoFlex, and he's posted pics of D4 with clamp off, and then with the whole pano off. I don't speak the language, and you probably know how weird Google translate is, but from what I've been able to deduce it seems he drilled 3 small holes in the Arca top plate and bolted the Novo pano to the D4 thru them. He may have tapped some corresponding holes in the NovoFlex, or maybe they're already there.

Seems like a fairly extreme mod, but if you have some (very) basic machine-shop skills it might be possible to do the same with RRS pano.

At any rate, these pics will give you a better idea of what's under the clamp and pano. I can't remember for sure but I think I had to register with the forum to view.
Erik Kaffehr

buckshot

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:54:57 pm »

Here are the photos.

archivue

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28171&highlight=D4

but, i think that a D4 with the classic screw is the way to go...

ccroft

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »

Agree. For me the screw clamp is great and for my purposes the head is perfect as is, but for those who are seriously into panos the D4 is lacking one key feature: a properly and fully marked degree scale. It has a rudimentary scale in what appears to be 5° increments, and my D4 with Arca screw clamp does have an index dot, but I guess it would be a bit of a pain counting 5,10,15 etc as opposed to something like the RRS or NovoFlex, or Cube that have all the numbers marked to 360. I believe this is why the guy on the German forum got out his drill and got rid of Arca top pan completely (not just the clamp), and it might be why Buckshot was asking about PCL-1.

As far as the quick release question, I think it'd be pretty easy to change out the Arca clamp for a Really Right if you really wanted to. Looks like a 3.5mm hex wrench would do the job. Pretty sure it would be just like the hybrid Cube in the link. I had planned to do exactly that, but now I like the Arca classic clamp just fine. I use a RRS 'L' bracket BTW.

Here's a pic of the D4 with only the clamp removed, as opposed to the other pictures that show the whole top pan removed. The only remaining question is how well that little post fits the recesses in RRS clamp.

As a D4 owner and previous user of RRS lever clamp, I'd recommend ordering with classic clamp.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 01:10:11 pm »

Hi,

You happen to know if the screw can be removed with reasonable force? I got the impression that Locktite is often used so you need to heat up the screw to around 200 degrees C to remove it?!

Best regards
Erik

Agree. For me the screw clamp is great and for my purposes the head is perfect as is, but for those who are seriously into panos the D4 is lacking one key feature: a properly and fully marked degree scale. It has a rudimentary scale in what appears to be 5° increments, and my D4 with Arca screw clamp does have an index dot, but I guess it would be a bit of a pain counting 5,10,15 etc as opposed to something like the RRS or NovoFlex, or Cube that have all the numbers marked to 360. I believe this is why the guy on the German forum got out his drill and got rid of Arca top pan completely (not just the clamp), and it might be why Buckshot was asking about PCL-1.

As far as the quick release question, I think it'd be pretty easy to change out the Arca clamp for a Really Right if you really wanted to. Looks like a 3.5mm hex wrench would do the job. Pretty sure it would be just like the hybrid Cube in the link. I had planned to do exactly that, but now I like the Arca classic clamp just fine. I use a RRS 'L' bracket BTW.

Here's a pic of the D4 with only the clamp removed, as opposed to the other pictures that show the whole top pan removed. The only remaining question is how well that little post fits the recesses in RRS clamp.

As a D4 owner and previous user of RRS lever clamp, I'd recommend ordering with classic clamp.

Erik Kaffehr

SBP

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

That looks like the most complicated head i've ever seen. Would take me a week to teach my wife to use it.

I love it. LOL

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »

Hi!

Not so complex.. check my video, here: http://echophoto.smugmug.com/photos/1387151066_5nDtFwF-960D.mp4

Best regards
Erik

That looks like the most complicated head i've ever seen. Would take me a week to teach my wife to use it.

I love it. LOL
Erik Kaffehr

ccroft

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

You happen to know if the screw can be removed with reasonable force? I got the impression that Locktite is often used so you need to heat up the screw to around 200 degrees C to remove it?!

I'm afraid I don't know for sure. I do know there are different grades (colors) of locktite and they require different temperatures or a good whack to loosen. I would think that someone who's replace a clamp on any Arca head could tell you what they had to go through to loosen the screw. You might post this question in the discussion that Archivue linked. The guy that switched out the Cube clamp would know. I also think that RRS would have a pretty good idea what you're up against.

I'd be interested in knowing what you find.

Charles

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

I just got mine from Robert White Photographics.
I like it a lot and once you get used to the flip lock it's great as well.
Sold my PhotoClam Multiflex prior to that,which I liked very much as well.
The D4(geared) is more suitable for my shooting style.
It looks better as well!
Best,
Willem.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

rljones

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 11:30:10 pm »

Red Loctite is the most tenacious. It typically can be loosened with a soldering iron held against the joint. Also, depending on the item, a small torch can be applied, using requiring about 30 sec of heating. (Any smoke coming off is the Loctite vaporizing.)

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

Anybody know when this is supposed to be available in the US?
Pages: [1]   Go Up