Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking  (Read 31675 times)

SBP

Re: Need advice on Camera Backpack for hiking
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

::)
The camera that usually hangs on my left shoulder is being used by my wife to take the picture.   ;D

You have to be hiking some very leisurely trails to be able to carry a camera on your left shoulder and tripod in the right hand. This is pretty much just "walking". LOL

I think people were looking for suggestions for real hiking/backpacking.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »

You have to be hiking some very leisurely trails to be able to carry a camera on your left shoulder and tripod in the right hand. This is pretty much just "walking". LOL

I think people were looking for suggestions for real hiking/backpacking.

EASY TRAILS? You sure know how to push my buttons. :P >:( ???
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

SBP

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

that Trail looks really pretty. I can see what you're saying. YES, you can definately carry your camera while hiking that. So pretty.

Ours are typically a bit more rocky and vertical and also wet as i focus mostly on rivers and streams around arizona and the Grand Canyon.

SBP

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:55 pm »

Fike are you in Montana by chance? That looks a lot like Glacier National Park in your pic.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 07:17:06 pm »

That pic is from Mount Rainier National Park.  I typically spend a lot of time photographing the deep wooded mountains of the West Virginia Highlands. 

My latest blog post shows some of the trails I frequent....surprisingly similar to your rugged photo above.
http://www.trailpixie.net/general/red_creek_trail.htm
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

SBP

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 07:43:33 pm »

beautiful

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:16:23 pm »

I have a Low Pro back pack with all the inserts that I've used probably one time. I'd gladly sell it to you. I just haven't had time or the motivation to try and sell it. I think it's the Super Trekker.

mkuhns

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00:29 pm »

I use a 40-50 liter pack from REI which works well. Can bring enough gear for 2-3 days in the Sierras and tripod/camera/filters. It's not light, but worth it.
I usually keep my camera in the top easy access pouch or stashed in the bear canister if it's rough going.

kazantipman

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:45 pm »

fStop is a good site

my source to buy lenses: best canon lens  or  best nikon lens

JohnKoerner

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 05:08:05 pm »

I have Tamrac and I love it. Get an expensive Tamrac and it will last for 40 years.

I am with you. I've had a fairly expensive Tamrac for 4 years now, and it looks the same as it did the day I got it (wear-wise), just soiled from heavy outdoor use. Yet even the soiling washes right off with a power hose, after which you can hang it dry. Not a single thread has come undone, at any of the sewn load-bearing points, and I tote A LOT of gear with it (tripod too).

As for the claim Tamracs make your back sore, I have found that "sore back" syndrome (at least with my Tamrac) invariably comes from "didn't use it right" practices. In other words, this pack has a waist strap ... and a chest strap ... and I have found that when I've had a lot of gear (but did not hook both the waist and the chest straps) it made me "stoop" more and consequently I would get a sore back.

However, when I take my time and use it properly (which means when I fasten the waist strap and the chest strap), it makes you stand upright, which greatly reduces the load, which is what these extra straps were designed to do.

IMO, the Tamrac is an excellent and exceptionally-rugged pack, and it is completely waterproof if it suddenly rains, which is a necessity in any photo pack in this Florida weather.

Jack

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:40:08 am by John Koerner »

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 10:46:21 pm »

For hiking with a light setup, I like the lowepro flipside (I use the 100, 400 & special edition 500). I think the 200/300 should work for you.  Gear is accessible and they are quite comfortable. 

Yoni
www.lighttrace.com

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 08:16:45 pm »

Do not hesitate and check FStop. especially their Satori backpack. Great company fantastic approach to clients (from my personal experience)

I respectfully disagree. I've not seen an ounce of professionalism in all my interactions with them.  I had to get the credit card company involved to get them to refund my money after returning their lame product.  They remind me of a used-car dealer. 

For day hiking, I'm going with a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack which looked great in the local store and gets rave reviews on B&H.  For backpacking, I put the camera in a ThinkTank Digital Holster 40, a second lens or two in a Lowepro lens pouch (not a fan of the TT version) and toss it all in my backpack.  Accessories go in another small pouch. 

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59:51 am »

Long story short, I finally scored a Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW Backpack and I love it.  Very comfortable.  Lots of capacity for camera gear and non-camera gear.  Several notable design improvements over the fstop: 1) The laptop case can be removed allowing the area to be used for something else 2) the water bladder storage area is on the side and not above the camera gear.  3) More flexible partitioning in the camera area  4) Easier access to everything. 

The Lowepro is also significantly more useful than the ThinkTank StreetWalker HardDrive which it is replacing.  My main gripe with the TT is that it had no storage for non-camera gear.  The camera area is about the same size between the two, but the Lowepro includes several extra storage pockets for non-camera gear. 

Note that this is not a setup for backpacking, but it is great for longer day hikes. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up