Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useful screwdriver sizes for camera first aid.  (Read 9911 times)

NigelC

Useful screwdriver sizes for camera first aid.
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:44:38 am »

I would like to have a few screwdrivers to hand to check external screws on camera/lens mount are secure from time to time. I understand Philips screwdrivers can damage JIS standard threads, hence I want to get JIS screwdrivers. Any guidance on sizes? (for canon/panasonic DSLR and Canon/Panasonic/Carl Zeiss lenses.

schrodingerscat

Re: Useful screwdriver sizes for camera first aid.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 01:06:38 am »

I would like to have a few screwdrivers to hand to check external screws on camera/lens mount are secure from time to time. I understand Philips screwdrivers can damage JIS standard threads, hence I want to get JIS screwdrivers. Any guidance on sizes? (for canon/panasonic DSLR and Canon/Panasonic/Carl Zeiss lenses.

Try these guys - https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA/index.jsp. Common generic name is crosspoint.

Go to > Hand & Power Tools > Screwdrivers > Precision/Miniature. ) 0 and 00 would be two good sizes to start with.

General Caveat - Avoid disassembly unless you know what you're doing. Very easy to create an expensive door stop, and any camera with a built in flash has 300 volts lurking inside.

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:35:36 am »

Try these guys - https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA/index.jsp. Common generic name is crosspoint.

Go to > Hand & Power Tools > Screwdrivers > Precision/Miniature. ) 0 and 00 would be two good sizes to start with.

General Caveat - Avoid disassembly unless you know what you're doing. Very easy to create an expensive door stop, and any camera with a built in flash has 300 volts lurking inside.

Thanks for size suggestion - just want to test screwheads on lens mount for tightness.

"Common generic name is crosspoint" - not outside N.America it isn't - Philips, or posidrive.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »

Thanks for size suggestion - just want to test screwheads on lens mount for tightness.

"Common generic name is crosspoint" - not outside N.America it isn't - Philips, or posidrive.

Have never come across 'posidrive' in 25+ years as a tech, learn something new every day, thanks. Come to think of it, only heard 'cross point' after becoming one. I think the cross point terminology may have originated in Japan, but most Japanese I know(non techs) use 'plus' and 'minus'. Wonder if that's where the 'posi' comes from in posidrive.

And the caveat was directed more to others who may read this thread, not you. Just trying to head potential disasters off at the pass.

Nigel Johnson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:03:05 am »

CAUTION - please note that Phillips, Posidriv and JIS are all different and the use of the wrong type of screwdriver can cause damage to the screw-head. See the following wikipedia article for additional details http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Regards
Nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up