Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New display calibrators from X-Rite  (Read 7023 times)

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:30 am »

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11622-11688

Thanks for the information. I'll not be an early adopter. Of course one should note at the bottom of the report that XRite has discontinued the products these new devices replace, so it may be fair to expect that support for those could go down the tubes.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

kaelaria

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2223
    • http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 07:32:07 am »

I'll be hanging on to my i1D2 for as long as possible.
Logged

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 08:56:45 am »

One wonders what will happen to the colorimeters sourced from X-Rite that are designed for large gamut monitors (such as the NEC designed puck).  Will these be replaced as well?
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:51 am »

That issue ran through my mind - it's an NEC responsibility. Formally it's "their device". What happens between XRite and NEC is between them and them. Perhaps once the warranty expires all bets are off, unless NEC has an independent support program for repairing or resetting them. Good question to ask NEC.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

One wonders what will happen to the colorimeters sourced from X-Rite that are designed for large gamut monitors (such as the NEC designed puck).  Will these be replaced as well?

The possibility exists and at least one OEM customer I know of has the hardware to evaluate for such a move.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:13 am »

The possibility exists and at least one OEM customer I know of has the hardware to evaluate for such a move.

You mean by this NEC may replace their colorimeters owned by current owners of their wide-gamut displays? Whether or not that's the case, of course one would like to see comparative product test results.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

abiggs

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 555
    • http://www.andybiggs.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:17 am »

so much for the embargo....
Logged
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:19:17 am »

You mean by this NEC may replace their colorimeters owned by current owners of their wide-gamut displays? Whether or not that's the case, of course one would like to see comparative product test results.

They could. Now the current colorimeter has no issues with wide gamut displays thanks to the mated filters. The new instrument is a step forward in terms of colorimeter performance (based on testing I’ve done and that of Karl Lang). Its also will at some point have the capability to accept custom filter matrices that will somehow be downloaded into the hardware. I have no idea how. I haven’t seen this capability and in typical fashion, X-Rite is way ahead of itself in terms of hardware than software (don’t get me started in the bugs I found in the shipping product!).

Quote
so much for the embargo....
The embargo was up today despite an email you may have received as a Coloratti (and will be corrected). You may speak of the product as of today.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:24:37 am »

so much for the embargo....
This is all on X-Rite's own web site now.....
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:27:04 am »

They could. Now the current colorimeter has no issues with wide gamut displays thanks to the mated filters. The new instrument is a step forward in terms of colorimeter performance (based on testing I’ve done and that of Karl Lang). Its also will at some point have the capability to accept custom filter matrices that will somehow be downloaded into the hardware. I have no idea how. I haven’t seen this capability and in typical fashion, X-Rite is way ahead of itself in terms of hardware than software (don’t get me started in the bugs I found in the shipping product!).
The embargo was up today despite an email you may have received as a Coloratti (and will be corrected). You may speak of the product as of today.

Not that I'd be rushing into it just yet, (unless NEC provides it free), but as long as it can work with BasicColor I'd be OK; but of course that doesn't help all users who don't have or want BasicColor.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

aaronchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 619
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:43 am »

Does anyone know how much is it gonna be?
I want to get the i1Display Pro!

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:38 pm »

I thought I heard something like $160/$240 but I could be off a few bucks.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 01:47:00 pm »

When I glanced through it, I thought I saw some pricing near the end of the Galbraith articled hyper-linked in the OP.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Scott Martin

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1315
    • Onsight
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:20 pm »

Really excited to see this come to market. Along with other things, the ball appears to be moving again...
Logged
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mhecker*

  • Contributor
  • Jr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 93
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:56 am »

The naming of the new products seems quite confusing to me.

Both the old colormunki and i1-pro-photo were spectrophotometers.
These devices from what I read are new colorimeters.

There capabilities as such will be very limited compared to the older devices having similar names.
It would be great for the low end user if Xrite could make true spectrometers at this price point, but this appears not to be the case.   :(


« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:24:55 pm by mhecker* »
Logged

trinityss

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 36
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »


Both the old colormunki and i1-pro-photo were spectrometers.
These devices from what I read are new colorimeters.

There capabilities as such will be very limited compared to the older devices having similar names.

Good remark. I wonder if this will replace the colormunki?
Is the colormunki now be positioned between this new device and an EyeOne (i'm not saying that they EyeOne is better...)?
And have they placed this product in the market because the colormunki did not perform like the customers expected?

Kr,
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21651
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:23:50 pm »

The new instruments are Colorimeters which replace the EyeOne Display-2. The ColorMunki is a Spectrophotometer.

Some are calling the new instruments EyeOne Display-3 which makes more sense to me than what X-Rite is calling them (which I agree is confusing).
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

keith_cooper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 473
    • Northlight Images
A few more details: i1Display Pro
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 09:43:37 am »

If anyone is curious, I've written up an overview of using the new i1Display Pro device

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/profiling/i1_display_pro.html

I'll update it with some more detailed numbers once I know that I've got the same software as will ship.
Logged
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: New display calibrators from X-Rite
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 10:53:59 am »

Has the issue with gamut volume when hitting a specific luminance via video LUT been fixed? To elaborate... if you set the luminance to 110 cd/m^2 and the lowest the monitor can get is 130 cd/m^2, i1Profiler will adjust the video LUT to hit 110 cd/m^2 however it does this at the expense of gamut volume, a behavior which Color Eyes Display Pro does not exhibit under equivalent circumstances.

Cheers, Joe
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up