Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seductive Sexuality in Fashion the Norm Not the Exception  (Read 2640 times)

BenjaminKanarek

Seductive Sexuality in Fashion the Norm Not the Exception
« on: June 17, 2011, 09:46:30 am »

Vogue Photo of Natalia by Mario Testino ©

Sex, Sensuality and Seduction are words that are used more often in Fashion and Beauty editorials than the terms fashion or beauty are being employed.

Well that is not new news as we have been so heavily inundated that we have reached the point of a mind numbing indifference.  Perhaps indifference is not really appropriate.  Let's call it, normal. Seductive, sexy, sensual are all very appropriate words indeed, as that is what most of us strive for.  We all want to be appealing to those viewing us and as sentient beings, sexuality is a very powerful part of our id.

But not only are the words being used in the content of mainstream media, but they are being carried over to illustrate the most common magazines read by the general public.  In fact if you were to look at a magazine like Numero ten or fifteen years ago, you would be forgiven for thinking that you were looking at a spread (no pun intended) of Playboy magazine, with more slender and lanky models.

Now I am not here to pass judgment, nor to pontificate, as that is not my role here.  I see it as  a mirroring of the body politic of the masses, what we wear and how we express our selves through art, photography, music etc. is a very important expression of our society as a whole or better yet a huge snap shot of a point in time that we can study in retrospect to determine the sociological and psychological profile of a society at any given time.

Well, at this juncture in time, it is the norm and not the exception that we adorn fashion magazines with nude or scantily dressed semi nude models wearing very little if any fashion at all.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but most of the more relevant fashion magazines, find it very much a part of the norm to express themselves using nudity as part of their policy to garner a larger reading audience.

Being that we are being exposed daily with gratuitous nudity on the internet, I can understand why they would feel the need to use this very powerful tool of sexuality to sell their products.  Without this vehicle, many of them would probably be out of business today. Of course for the more conservative magazines, there are the obligatory nipple pads that  often give the models a less than human barbie doll look or even worse the removal of the breast nipples from opaque or transparent bra's, making the whole thing look absurd at best. In those cases, it is best to not show the breasts at all.

But like all things in fashion and fashion is a mirroring of society as a whole, we live in a cyclic world, with what was out of fashion today becoming in fashion tomorrow.  What may be considered sexy today will become boring and predictable tomorrow. So who knows, perhaps in the next decade or so, the sexy women in fashion magazines will be depicted in a scenario  unintentionally flashing her knee during a dinner date at a posh restaurant or touching her shoulder during a conversation or showing a tiny bit of breast cleavage while bending over to pick up a hair pin.

All I am saying is that what goes around comes around and what we consider shocking today might be the norm tomorrow and that norm just might end up being very boring indeed.  So enjoy the ride, "what ever will be will be, the future's not ours to see, Que Sera Sera…"

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/yuw

Rob C

Re: Seductive Sexuality in Fashion the Norm Not the Exception
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »

*All I am saying is that what goes around comes around and what we consider shocking today might be the norm tomorrow and that norm just might end up being very boring indeed.  So enjoy the ride, "what ever will be will be, the future's not ours to see, Que Sera Sera…"*

So, whatever became of Che Serra Serra, then?

Rob C

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:40:37 pm by Rob C »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:23 pm »

First it was ankles, now this.  Prurience no longer requires a lewd imagination, where's the fun in that?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

"Seductive Sexuality in Fashion the Norm Not the Exception"

Astonishing insight. Whatever next? "Sun Rises in East (in Morning), Sets in West"?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:42:00 pm »

"Seductive Sexuality in Fashion the Norm Not the Exception"

Astonishing insight. Whatever next? "Sun Rises in East (in Morning), Sets in West"?

Jeremy

Jeremy, what quality of spam did you expect?

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »

Sex, Sensuality and Seduction…

These magazines are for women and read by women, so the words "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction" just seem so wrong. I don't get the feeling that it has anything to do with that. It's more to do with women's complex relationships with each other and a weird industry that feeds it.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »

Sex, Sensuality and Seduction…

These magazines are for women and read by women, so the words "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction" just seem so wrong. I don't get the feeling that it has anything to do with that. It's more to do with women's complex relationships with each other and a weird industry that feeds it.

It depends on the culture. I've read that American women dress to look good for men, but French women dress for other women. Don't remember what that's based on and I don't know enough French women to have a representative sample, so take that with a grain of salt...

tom b

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

What women wear on the street and what appears in fashion magazines have little to do with each other. What Catherine wears probably has more to do with it.

What I am saying is that if "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction" is concerned with attracting the opposite sex, then fashion magazines would be totally different than what they are now. If I was looking for "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction" I'd be looking in a Victoria's Secret catalogue not in Vogue.

This is shown by Benjamin's "Top Ten Models for Spring-Summer 2011". None of the images shown portray "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction". The image of Carola Remer, the best promising New Face of the Season, just reminds me of the depressing heroin chic look of old.

Actually the Forbe's top ten earning models contains aging supermodels and Victoria's Secret models.

Look, what I'm saying is that when I pick up a fashion magazine at a cafe I have never got the feeling of "Sex, Sensuality and Seduction", far from it. I've usually been perplexed or bewildered by the images that I see. But then I'm male and as I said before these images are not meant for me.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:37:38 am »

This is turning into something quite interesting about the posters' ideas of what sex is all about.

Frankly, Vicky's Secrets are for the mentally challenged. Those clothes have about as much to do with sex appeal as does a whore. Sex is far more subtle than any of that; it exists in a small smile, the toss of a head, an elegantly held glass, hair blowing in the breeze down at the beach, an aside whispered in your ear in a public place, almost anything other than crude representations of the exaggerated body shape.

Neither do I buy into the commonly held belief that men are blind to the finer aspects of sex appeal but see only the obvious, sledge-hammer manifestations. Were that so, half of the world's marrieds would still be on the shelf.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 05:37:51 am »

Neither do I buy into the commonly held belief that men are blind to the finer aspects of sex appeal but see only the obvious, sledge-hammer manifestations. Were that so, half of the world's marrieds would still be on the shelf.

While I disagree about Victoria's Secret not being sexy (they certainly are), I fully agree with the passage above. I've lamented the advent of celebrity sex videos. I believe it started with Pamela Anderson's, and one can even launch a career with staying power by leaking a "stolen" sex video to the public. I don't think Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian had done anything to warrant a celebrity status until their sex videos came out. Now even wholesome young starlets seem to have the need to release at least nude photos - invariably followed by claims they were stolen by a repair tech or don't depict the starlet. The practice is spreading to conservative societies in South East and East Asia as well.

My question is where will we be in ten years if this trend continues? The optimist in me would like to think that there will be a backlash, and we'll get regression to the mean, ie. things will even out in the medium-long term.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:44:04 pm »

Or, secret dressers will be outed: What? You're wearing clothes in those photographs? How rude!

Rob C

;-(

tom b

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:30 pm »

Rob, I must admit that I have seen very little of Vogue or Victoria' Secret. What I was commenting on is the body type of the women used in these industries. Haute coutre and high end fashion with tall stick figures is not seductive or sexual, far from it. Most women walking down a catwalk look like they have been hit by a phone book before they walk out and if the can walk at all.

The recent example of "Melbourne’s androgynous modelling superstar, Andrej Pejic, has blurred fashion’s boundaries again, appearing on the catwalk in Paris in a haute couture bridal gown" is an example. http://bajansunonline.com/entertainment/australian-male-model-andrej-pejic-makes-a-lovely-bride-at-jean-paul-gaultier-show-in-paris/

The fact that he can be confused as a woman and have his image censored shows how far androgyny has come. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/us-book-stores-censor-image-of-melbourne-male-model-andrej-pejic/story-e6frf96o-1226057596409

On the other hand swimwear/lingerie models that appear in Victoria's secret or your calenders have beautiful bodies. How they are dressed and posed is a matter of taste.

Cheers,

Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

On the other hand swimwear/lingerie models that appear in Victoria's secret or your calenders have beautiful bodies. How they are dressed and posed is a matter of taste.

Cheers,

Yes, beatiful bodies, but that's not the same thing as sex appeal.

I remember once in the Bahamas with two of them and one night, when we went down to the bar that evening for a pre-dinner drink, the effect of them walking into the room was amazing. I also remember my wife whispering to me: "she's got the better body, but that one has sex appeal," and she was right. Flies around  - umm... - a honeypot.

It really is so much more than just looks. That's not exactly dime a dozen, but truly sexy ladies are even more rare a species. At least, that's my conclusion, and as I remarked before, I don't believe it is at all to do with so-called glamour which, in some cases, can just look tough. And I hate that.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up