Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File sizes for tv viewing.  (Read 2016 times)

Rob C

File sizes for tv viewing.
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:00:07 am »

After much deliberation and several weeks, I decided that I might as well replace my dead tv with a new generation model. This new thing comes with surprises (to me) such as Internet connectivity, 3D possibility etc. and I have had the pleasant experience (again, to me) of seeing my own website at far higher magnification than my normal monitor allows.

So why post this Earth-shattering piece of information here? In the hope that someone here has the knowledge of what would be the best size of files (Jpegs) from my pictures that I can play through the DVD player and tv system in order to fill the screen at the best quality. Would vertical shots be the same file dimensions as the horizontals but be self-corrected to fit the screen, or would they have to be made smaller to match the height of the horizontal images?

The resolution of the tv set is, it says, 1920x1080.

This request for information hasn’t anything to do with the website image sizes, just the optimum size/resolution of image/format I should use to make special files for tv viewing on my unit. (The manual advises against displaying still images for any length of time in order to prevent damage to the system; it also warns about station logos for the same reason, but if channels insist on advertising themselves, what’s to be done?)

I can’t think of a better spot within LuLa to post this, but if anyone has a better idea, please advise!

Rob C

kevk

• Kevin Kucks Photography
Re: File sizes for tv viewing.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:03:49 am »

If your new TV has a USB port and can play JPEGs from that, I'd make those JPEGs 1920x1080.
Likewise if your attached DVD player can read JPEGs from a data DVD or CD.

Kevin

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:16:45 pm »

Rob, those TV logos shift subtly, a few pixels every few seconds.  Not really discernible to the human eye, but it offsets 'burn in'.  As to that, when they say not to display anything for a 'length of time', I believe they mean an hour or more at a time.  So unless you get so caught up in staring at one image that it stays there all morning, you're probably safe!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:50:03 pm »

Thanks, guys! Something to start working on. I assume I still keep the files at 72ppi and just use the 1920x1080 as dimensions?

Trouble is, the music stuff I've been dabbling with has kind of bogged me down because it has grown quite a bit, to the extent that I'm trying to produce files for all sorts of different things from it... leaves little time for self and pushes the question of where to draw the line with how I do this, continue as retirement hobby or start to think commercial again; I suspect that were I to do that, it would all vanish in a twinkling! Which might resolve the problem.

Thanks again,

Rob C

DRoss

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »

If your going to feed the jpgs via usb or card reader or a HD source the 1920x1080 would be correct. If via regular DVD the picture size would be 720x480 any larger and the dvd software or hardware will be down sizing the photo, then the player or tv will be up sizing to 1980x1020. Best to feed it at correct size and only have it re sized once. Being a digital file ppi is arbitrary and can be set at virtually any number as it will be ignored.   

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:35 pm »

I regularly use a 50" 1080p plasma via HDMI as a sort of third monitor to throw images up on and look at across the room to decide over a bit of time if I like them or maybe they require changes.  Properly adjusted it's close to looking at a big print from across the room.

1920x1080 would be correct if you don't plan to zoom.  If you do desire to zoom in on parts of the image keep the 16:9 ratio but make them any resolution that makes you happy when zooming. 

And did you know.. they make a puck and software for HDTV's?   Yep..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 09:58:14 am »

And did you know.. they make a puck and software for HDTV's?   Yep..
Yes, but to access the menus necessary can mean invalidating the TV's warranty with some sets. :(

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:16:52 am »

Yes, but to access the menus necessary can mean invalidating the TV's warranty with some sets. :(
I wasn't going to mention the secret menus.. :)

What I've found with most TV's is only the higher end series will give you regular menu access to the detailed settings necessary to properly profile the monitor. And the higher end series also allows different color settings for each input which is a requirement if you plan on using the tv for anything else.  Properly profiled the color can be very good.  I tend to like plasma's for color over LED's.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:28:38 pm »

Another way would be to utilize a wi-fi connection between your TV and your computer. That way, no need to burn a disk or transfer files to a USB drive, just use what is already on your computer. I use Sony PlayStation 3 (hardware) and MediaLink (software) for that purpose. It is posible that your Internet-enabled TV would not need an extra hardware (like in my case), but I can not be sure.

As for resizing, most TV-display programs would have an option for a slide show with various types of transitions, some of which might involve elaborate zooming and transformations. For that purpose, it might make sense to start with more resolution than 1080 px (vertically).

As for natively vertical shots, no need to size them differently, they will be automatically resized to fit the screen (at least that is the case on my Sony Bravia TV).
Pages: [1]   Go Up