Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR + Profile Editor and unsupported files  (Read 9937 times)

smahn

ACR + Profile Editor and unsupported files
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »

I'm having some success using ACR via Bridge to process Leaf Volare HDR files that are not listed as supported files. Very pleased about that. ACR works where both LR and DNG Converter fail.

The stumbling block I'm having is in trying to make profiles with DNG Profile Editor for these files. I use ACR to convert them to DNG, then open them with Profile Editor. The Editor seems to see these DNG's as TIFF's. In Color Tables in the base profile dropdown it reads 'Embedded (TIFF)'. Then, after saving the profile to the default CameraProfiles, it is not seen by ACR in the profiles dropdown (even after rebooting). When I go back to Profile Editor and go back to the drop down I see the new profile there, but whereas I might have named it 'test1' it appears in the color tables dropdown as 'TIFF (test1) (TIFF)'.  I export it again with the new name 'TIFF (test1) (TIFF)' but again, ACR doesn't recognize it.

I would not have been surprised if I weren't able to convert the .hdr to DNG, but once having done so I'm surprised the Profile Editor can't work with it. DNG's are DNG's, no?

Any ideas to get past this hurdle?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: ACR + Profile Editor and unsupported files
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »

I suspect the  Leaf Volare HDR are being converted to Linear DNG when you save them from Camera Raw. As such, the profile will show as "Embedded". Not sure there is a way to apply the resulting DNG Profile you made to non-DNG files from the Leaf since the Leaf files are still raw. Try converting another file to DNG and see if the profile shows up in the new DNG file. If so, you'll need to convert the Leaf files to DNG to use that profile.

smahn

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:00:33 pm »

Hi Jeff, thanks for your help.

I suspect the  Leaf Volare HDR are being converted to Linear DNG when you save them from Camera Raw. As such, the profile will show as "Embedded".

Yes to "Embedded".

Not sure I understand the following:

Try converting another file to DNG and see if the profile shows up in the new DNG file.

I have some DNGs from Nikon files and the profile isn't showing up for them either, is it supposed to or are profiles brand specific? This is my first foray into Profile Editor.

If so, you'll need to convert the Leaf files to DNG to use that profile.

There's the problem. DNG Converter can't see them. Bridge and ACR can, and can convert them to Linear DNG or PSD/TIFF. What other options are there? Or is it user error on my part? I'm choosing compatibility of CR 5.4 or Later.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

When you convert to DNG from Camera Raw it may be doing a Linear DNG not a raw DNG...the difference is that the raw image has been demosiaced...

What I was referring to is to process a couple more Leaf files to DNG and then see if the DNG profile shows up in those. Also, you might want to be sure you are up to date with DNG Converter, it's now at version 6.4.1.

smahn

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:12 pm »

Yeah, tried a few files. Bridge, DNG Conv, Profile Editor and ACR are all up to date. It ain't working, PE views them as TIFFs and the only profile available in ACR is 'embedded'.

This is a longshot, but probably my only shot - and of course would be price dependent - but is there someone who could be commissioned to write the code to demosiac these files? Pretty sure Adobe wont be doing it otherwise. Once the file can be read, like Bridge ACR can, is there much further to go to take it from Linear to Demosaiced?

smahn

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:07:13 am »

Volare files cannot be demosaiced because they are not mosaic files (no bayer filters, just pure 16-bit, 6MP per channel...they are 16-bit tiffs with some added tags, previews and ICC input profile

Hence why I suggested to change the extension and to set ACR to open TIFF files. If the profile editor requires mosaic (DNG or whatever) to work then that is the problem right there

Yair

Based on this conversation with Yair it's clear Profile Editor is a dead end with these raws.

However, is it possible to mess with metadata to trick ACR into using another camera's profiles with these files for specific correction corrections?

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »

DNG Profile Editor does not require mosaic DNG files as far as I am aware. Linear DNG is fine. 

However ...

ACR/LR only support loading DNG color profiles for raw files(I.e., colorimetric reference is scene-referred). If you are trying to work with Tiffs or DNG files produced from Tiffs, then the profiles won't show up.

Eric
Eric Chan

talninio

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:08:42 am »

Try to convert to DNG using Adobe's DNG converter (it's free) - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

I don't really understand what you are trying to do within the DNG profile editor. If your files have a embedded profile it's there in every file, isn't it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up