Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Utah Shoot  (Read 4112 times)

Peter McLennan

Moab Utah Shoot
« on: April 17, 2004, 09:46:14 pm »

If you've never been to Moab before, you've never been to Dead Horse Point.  That is number one.  Whatever it takes, you have to go to Dead Horse Point State Park.  Ideally, you'd arrive there a half hour before sunset (or a half hour before sunrise!).  If sunset, you'll drive back to Moab (an hour, more or less) in the dark.  If it's impossible to arrange a visit to this location, you'll just have to go back some other day.  The drive to Dead Horse is wonderful, the point itself is a religious experience.  IMHO, better than the South Rim of Grand Canyon.

Number Two, as you suggested, Arches National Park.  It's virtually downtown.  If you can't get to Dead Horse, go to Arches twice.  Go as far into the park as the campground, stop lots and plan on at least three hours per trip.  If you can arrange it in early morning, lucky you.  At any time of day, it's an incredible landscape.

blangton

• http://photography.blangton.com
Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 01:39:17 am »

Keith...

My $.02

In Arches, make the hike to Delicate Arch for sunset - it's magical.  It's quite a special place.

As for sunrise, Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a favorite - about a 45 minute trip from Moab including the 1/2 mile hike to the arch.  The roads are good though and you can make good time.  

Dead Horse Point is also very nice for late afternoon and sunset as mentioned above.  The Green River overlook at Canyonlands is also quite nice.

Good luck and have a great trip!

Bill
Bill Langton (blangton@blangton.com)  AR

kcf955

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 01:20:08 am »

Wow, thanks for the terrific response! You have all given me what looks like a great list of possibilities. I have heard and seen so much about this area that it was a bit overwhelming trying to figure out where to go. This really helps, thanks again, Keith
EOS 1D Mark II, Seacam Housing, 15mm, 17

johnrussell

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:34:32 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']My condolences for only being able to spend a couple of afternoons there. I got to spend a week in the area and I didn't get to see a 1/10 of what I wanted to. Definitely go see the Big Bend State Park. It's on the way to Canyonlands. Arches is set up to be very car friendly, you can see a lot in a day. Canyonlands is not. To really see that Park, you have to hike. But Canyonlands is definitely worth it. Start planning your second trip! You will be back.  :laugh:[/font]

kcf955

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 09:35:32 pm »

I will be traveling to Moab but will have only 1 or 2 late afternoons or mornings to shoot. Anyone have advice on what the top three locations in and around Moab would be to shoot? I was thinking of Arches NP might be a good place to start.

Thanks, Keith
EOS 1D Mark II, Seacam Housing, 15mm, 17

b.e.wilson

• http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson
Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 12:56:27 am »

Arches is great, and you can spend many evening shooting there in different locations.

I like the Fisher Towers area best. Northeast of Moab along Highway 128, one of the most scenic roads around.

Khurram

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 02:59:19 pm »

agree with the previous posts for the most part you have a lot to choose from. I'm going to spending 5 days in moab in mid may, and here are the locations i want to get to:
Delicate arch (arches NP) - sunset
Windows section (arches NP) - sunset and sunrise
Landscape arch (Arches NP) - sunrise/early morning.
Fiery Furnace  (Arches NP) - afternoon tour
dead horse point (dead Horse State Park) - sunset
Mesa Arch (Canyonlands NP - it's pretty close to dead horse point) - sunrise
Fisher tower if i have time.

If i only had time for two days, i'd probably do the following:
Day 1:
1.Windows section - sunrise/early morning
2. Landscape Arch - midy morning
3. Delicate Arch (Arches)- sunset

Day 2:
1. Mesa Arch (Canyonlands) sunrise
2. Arches (windows section) morning/afternoon
3. Dead Horse point - sunset

Take a look at some pics of these areas, and then choose what you find the coolest, bcoz, there are so many choices in MOAB.  I'm spending 5 1/2 days, and i'm still having trouble planning my itenary.

one last piece of advice - if there are a lot of clouds, or if you pass after a storm - don't pass up dead horse point - you definatily will not be disapointed!!!
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

framah

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:37:38 pm »

I just came back from there and agree with the suggestions. One word of advice... call a motel in the Moab area to see what events are happening in their area. Unfortunately, when I was out in Moab it was 4 wheel drive weekend or something. EVERYWHERE were jeeps and such... hundreds of them, all with the single goal of seeing how quickly they could break their driveshaft or transmission on the back country trails and then see if they can repair it in the motel parking lot at 3 in the morning. It was almost impossible to go anywhere due to traffic jams. Other than that, it was beautiful out there. I did get into Arches during a light rainstorm and got half a rainbow around a rock finger.  Haven't uploaded to my main tower yet but it looked good on my laptop. ::
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

dmerger

Moab Utah Shoot
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 12:10:16 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']John, I believe that you mean Dead Horse Point State Park, not Big Bend.[/font]
Dean Erger
Pages: [1]   Go Up