Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong Display of Edited Images. Please Help!  (Read 12602 times)

soralsokal

Wrong Display of Edited Images. Please Help!
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »

Hello Aperture Community,

I am using Aperture for years and never had any probs. All this changed yesterday and I don't know what to do.

The problem is occurring to the images I have edited. When I open a edited image, then it is displayed ONLY for 1 second correctly until Aperture changes the editing setting automatically. Aperture is not going back to the Original, but just changes ALL my edits to something completely else. Anyone the same problem? What can I do and try.

Please help!!! More then 1000 Picture are affacted :(

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Re: Wrong Display of Edited Images. Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:02 pm »

Hard to help without more information.

What version of Aperture?  What "editing settings" are being changed?  Does it happen with all images?

In Aperture, what we think of as "edits" are called "Adjustments".  You can see which Adjustments are being used by consulting the Adjustments tab of the Inspector.

Have you changed either your monitor or proofing profile recently?

soralsokal

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

Thank you for your quick reply.
I have updated my version to 3.1.2 which didn't help unfortunately. The problem occurs on my MBP, where I am using Aperture for years now. I am using my same laptop screen. I try to describe the problem a little further...

I only have RAW (*.NEF) files in my library. Most of them are with adjustments. Now here is the problem: When I open a picture with a adjustment, it show as usual in the viewer or fullscreen. But JUST for one second. Then Aperture automatically changes the adjustment. Very weird and never happened before. This happens to all the adjusted pictures. After this one second the picture changes (not to the original), though the adjustment doesn't change.

Could it be a RAW update?

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »

The timing of the image switch is easily explained.  That's how Aperture renders images.  From the helpful User Manual:

How Aperture Displays Images in the Viewer
When a version needs to be displayed in the Viewer, Aperture does the following:
  • Aperture draws the thumbnail image (a JPEG image that is 1280 pixels in the longest dimension).
  • Aperture draws the JPEG preview, if present.
  • Aperture decodes the master and applies any adjustments to it.
Once the last step is completed, the adjustment controls become available. Because the JPEG preview is created with all the adjustments for that version, it appears onscreen faster than the adjusted master would. The result is a sharp preview image that appears quickly in the Viewer.

What's going wrong is harder to explain, but it almost certainly has to do with the RAW conversion.  My guess is that you need to re-install the Pro-Kit upgrade, but that's just a guess.  I'd post your query at the Apple Aperture Discussion forum -- this issue has come up before.  Be sure to include some description of what is changing.  You still haven't mentioned how it is different.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:20:49 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Desmond

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »

Not sure about the reason of this strange behavior, but I once experienced something similar. I have been using aperture for 4 years. One time some photo preview with the content turned 90 degree but the aspect ratio remained. The image just stretched and squeezed into the wrong frame.

I had no method to get rid of this until rebuilding the whole library from vault. It take days to complete if your library is big.

Good luck.

Regards,

Desmond

soralsokal

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

Ok guys, thank you for the responses. So far I reinstalled ProKit without success. I have all the newest updated on my MAC. To explain the issue I made a video on youtube. Anyone with the same problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7Vq7I_bYc

I have 2 ideas, but don't know how to do:

Can I reset the RAW processing?
Someone suggested resetting the vault. How can do this? Do you thing it could help?

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:59:54 am »

Can I reset the RAW processing?

Photos menu -> Reprocess Master

I wonder if rebuilding the library would help this. See <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805>. I'd certainly try this before replacing the library from the vault, assuming you have one.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:05:15 am by RobSaecker »
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

soralsokal

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 10:12:43 am »

Thank you for the reply. I just tried to reprocess the master. Now both pictures were displayed wrongly. So I have attached one Screenshot to clarify.

I will also try now rebuild the library. Hope it works. Otherwise can i somehow go back to an older version of RAW processing. I have the feeling this should work...

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:14 am »

If you use Time Machine or have another backup, you could revert to an older RAW processor, but I don't know what exactly you would need to do. It would probably involve replacing files in the System folder.

And I'll ask again a question that was asked upthread: you don't have some odd proofing profile selected, do you?
Rob

soralsokal

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:35:11 am »

I didn't change anything except the update. I don't even know where to change proofing options. Do they relate to all images in the library? For me all images are affacted and most of them look totally weird now. Too much contrast, oversaturated and so on...

soralsokal

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

Here is one picture of my Library:
http://www.2shared.com/file/pxDGP4ek/Wandaplibrary.html

Can anyone see if he/she has the same problem? The small preview pic is alright, but the main viewer is oversaturated:

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 02:46:12 pm »

I didn't change anything except the update. I don't even know where to change proofing options.

View menu -> Onscreen Proofing and Proofing Profile

Do they relate to all images in the library? For me all images are affacted and most of them look totally weird now. Too much contrast, oversaturated and so on...

Yes, if you've turned on Onscreen Proofing, it applies to all photos.

BTW, I can't download the image you posted, the site just times out without ever sending anything.
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up