Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadows opening in Tiffs/jpgs in ACR  (Read 10132 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Shadows opening in Tiffs/jpgs in ACR
« on: May 22, 2011, 08:33:01 am »

Opening Tiffs and Jpgs in ACR seems to show with more open darks/shadows than in reality when opening in PS. RAW's are fine. You can see it happen when you open the file in ACR, suddenly the shadows pop open a bit but they look normal in PS afterwards. I've noticed this happening since ACR 5 at least. Any idea why or how I can stop ACR doing this?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Shadows opening in Tiffs/jpgs in ACR
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:10:13 am »

Any idea why or how I can stop ACR doing this?

If there's any difference between ACR preview and the file opened in Photoshop the odds are it's your display profile...recalibrate and re-profile and check it again...

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:41 am »

You judge on your computer.

www.studio-beni.net/First.psd

Top layer is a screenshot from ACR pasted straight into PS, the bottom layer is the same file as opened from ACR into PS. I've been seeing this for years and I recalibrate once a month. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 10:19:30 am by Ben Rubinstein »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:54:27 am »

The screen shots don't mean anything because the screen shots are done through the display driver which can influence the rendering of the ACR preview as well as the display profile used by Photoshop. So, there is something else going on and the odds are it's the profile (or the way the profile is being used). The previews for Camera Raw, Photoshop and Lightroom all match on my system...so what is your system? How is it profiled? What color space are you using? You know, all the details of YOUR system that might help troubleshoot your situation. We need that to figure things out because the rest of the world isn't seeing any differences (unless they have display profile issues).

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:26 pm »

They match on my system between Bridge and PS, it's when it goes into ACR that it initally looks fine then a second later the shadows have opened in the preview. I don't have this problem at all with RAW files, just with jpg and TIFF's. All of this seems to rule out display drivers doesn't it?

Running CS5 on XP64 using sRGB and profiled with Spyder.

Raw shooter

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:00:15 pm »

Ben, Do you have a Windows 7 computer to double check?
I used to have those mismatches with XP 32 bit. 

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:03:31 pm »

I'm afraid not, sorry.

cidrmakr

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 08:09:47 pm »

Two possibilities:  If in your acr preferences if you have it set for opening jpgs and tiffs to "open with settings....." instead of open all supported - those settings are the defaults in acr.  Or, perhaps, in bridge at the top, the checkerboards "prefer imbedded" is the image settings; high quality on demand applies acr settings when you click on it; and high quality always applies the acr default settings when it loads.  also, might try changing your default acr settings to something weird and see what happens.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:53:15 am »

Tried both the above, no luck.

When I open the tiff in ACR it looks fine while the yellow ! triangle is showing (it looks as it indeed opens in PS) but then the screen blinks, the yellow triangle disappears and the shadows open. That means one thing (IMO), that ACR is applying some settings. All the settings are zeroed out though and there shouldn't be any setting applied to a tiff by default at all as far as I'm aware. Even more strangely when I hit 'Open' into PS, the settings it has applied are not shown.

lumland

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »

Ben, I had the exact same issues you are describing for some time and posted it on the Adobe forums directly about a year ago.  Everyone said I had a display calibration issue too, even though everything else worked and displayed fine.  How one file type (I reported problems with TIF images) can be related to a display calibration issue is beyond me.

I tracked down the problem to the size of the TIF file in pixel dimensions.  If the images are too large (many of my stitched images had this problem), then ACR will display the image improperly.  My workaround is to create a downsized copy of the image, change the ACR settings to my liking and click done.  Now all you have to do is copy the settings from this "proxy" image to the real one.  Now you can open the "real" image in ACR and simply click "Open Object" without making any changes.

It will open in PS correctly with all the changes you made on the "proxy" image.

I hope this makes sense.  BTW, I never did figure out the exact dimensions that caused ACR to break, but I'm guessing somewhere between 10-15K on one side.

Hopefully this is causing your issue too.

Craig

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 06:56:50 am »

I am indeed seeing the problems with stitched pics, thank you so much!

lumland

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:45:45 am »

Ben, I'm glad to hear this solved your problem.  Hopefully, Adobe will fix it in a future release because with 64 bit everything these limitations seem a bit on the small side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up