Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locations in Paris  (Read 2240 times)

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
Locations in Paris
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:08 am »

Hello

hi, I'll be in Paris late Aug for a Bridal Shoot. I hope someone here who is familiar with Paris would share with me some gems of locations that I can check out.
Basically I'll be doing a series of bridal and engagement portraits.

BTW, how's travel around Paris like ? is it easy flagging a cab ? or prohibitively expensive ?
We don't mind an out of town location if it is within an easy train ride.

Thanks in advance.

rgs
rueyloon

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Locations in Paris
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:43 pm »

There are so many locations that it is hard to pick one. IMHO, it also depends on what the couple wants. If they have already been in Paris, you may want to find less known places. If this is a first for them, you've got plenty of very recognizable landmarks that offer lots of opportunities. Jardin des Tuileries, Jardin du Luxembourg offer "green" locations at the very center. They are smaller than, say, Hyde Park, but you'll have dozens of typical "French" locations. The "Pont Neuf" can offer nice, if a bit standard, opportunities. I'd take the tube, exit at st michel, pont-neuf, chatelet and walk around a bit: you could spend a week in a 1km radius if you want to see everything. Montmartre is also a decent place for "typical Parisian" photography. "Champs-Elyses" aren't worth the trouble imho.

Unfortunate reality: if you look like tourists, you _will_ be ripped off on every occasion. Not typically French, London's taxis also have a tendency to take the longest path. Typical attitudes to watch for: random markups on displayed prices in pubs and restaurants, change not coming back if you pay cash, taxis who don't start their counters and don't accept credit cards but only tell you when you have arrived, etc...

I've have been in the "change not coming back" situation several times. Typically I am with an English speaking friend and the waiter hears us talking in English. We pay cash and the waiter never returns. At that point, I switch to French, find the guy and asks if he isn't forgetting something... I've had the "ooops, sorry, I thought you were American" response (and my change) more than once ;-)

I'd like to add that outside that particular central area and the areas around the main stations, that "ripoff" attitude disappears completely.
While there are nice places on the edge of Paris, I wouldn't bother given the many choices in the center.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:49:34 pm »

Travel around Paris is like any major metropolitan area - both for the good and bad aspects. Taxi's are not a problem and the easiest way to get from a to b quickly, though having a reasonable amount of French will help enormously.

If you are doing wedding photography I would suggest checking out the Parc de Bagatelle - this is a park in the Bois De Bologne where there is plenty of green space (a rarity in Paris - and where there is grass in Paris it is forbiden to walk on it) and I have seen photographers shooting wedding photo's here before. You will probably need to get permission from the park to be able to take wedding pictures, but it provides a reasonably spacious area with nice scenary. There is also a restaurant and catering facilities if needed.

http://parcsetjardins.equipement.paris.fr/Parc_de_Bagatelle

If you want a more Parisian/ Urban setting then the area around the Place De La Concorde is popular with Korean photoshoots (especially on the fountains). If you can make arrangements with the Hotel De Crillon you may have the opportunity to use internal location if the weather is not favourable (if not it is a nice place for tea - I don't know your budget, but start here and work down ;-). I haven't seen any wedding pictues in the Jardin De Tuileries but then you may need to get permission. The Pont Des Artes close by  is a large pedestrian bridge across the Seine with backdrop of Ile De La Cite/ Notre Dame would be suitable at sunrise/ sunset.

If you want the Eiffel Tower stand at the far end near the Peace Pagoda/ Ecole Militaire if you want to get the entire Eifel Tower included. The other location is off the Trocadero roundabout - but can get very bust with Tourists.

There may be other suitable areas, but it depends on what you are specifically looking for.

David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:46:46 pm »

It's Paris - sit the couple next to a trash can it'll look romantic :P

Be prepared for a nasty surprise with the price level if you're based in the US.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:21:59 am »

I haven't seen any wedding pictues in the Jardin De Tuileries but then you may need to get permission.

here's one example

http://www.studiocabrelli.com/blog/2011/04/cinthya-ken-mariage-et-portraits-a-paris-le-2-avril-2011/

unsure about permissions, wouldn't of course recommend a big setup with tripods, lightboxes, etc... but one is unlikely to get into significant trouble - the worst that can happen is some underling in some kind of uniform asking you to move. In that case, either you just do that and start again a bit further or, if you know French, you say something like "Juste deux ou trois photos et nous partons, promis. Mes amis sont venus de si loin pour Paris!". I'd say that unless there is a significant crew or disturbance, or as you said, massive grass trampling, the general attitude is very tolerant towards weddings.

francois

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:07:59 am »

Excellent advice, don't stay for too long in a specific location. Using a tripod in Paris without a permit is prohibited (that was more than ten years ago, so it might have changed). I've never had any problem but I kept away from the large crowds and didn't spend a lot of time in the same place. Shooting at night, just after sunset, when tourists are looking for dinner can also offer "different" possibilities.

In addition to all the advices above, I've also seen many shoots in Place Vendôme and around (not that far from Jardin des Tuileries, Place de la Concorde, Pyramide du Louvre, etc)…
Francois

feppe

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:35:56 pm »

Using a tripod in Paris without a permit is prohibited (that was more than ten years ago, so it might have changed). I've never had any problem but I kept away from the large crowds and didn't spend a lot of time in the same place.

That could be the case, but it's not enforced much. I've spent several evenings in Paris over the years taking night shots on a tripod. Most recently a few weeks ago, one shot on the very crowded Petit Pont next to Notre Dame, and I wasn't the only one with a tripod. I usually stay in place for ten mins or so, but don't travel with an entourage :) Haven't really paid attention whether there are cops around.

In general, if you know just a few words of French and bother to actually use them appropriately, will make a huge difference. I've heard many stories from tourists about rudeness etc., but I've never had a problem there - except for an embarrassingly failed pickpocketing attempt.

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 01:31:03 pm »

I've heard many stories from tourists about rudeness etc., but I've never had a problem there - except for an embarrassingly failed pickpocketing attempt.

The French live up to that stereotype quite well thank you very much!

Funniest one was the moped rider that chased me down the footpath of the Champs Elysee  for a couple of hundred meters then tried repeatedly to run me over because he had failed to knock me over whilst I was crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing when the drivers lights were red  ::)

Or, the woman that complained to the crowd because I was an Englishmen and I could talk to her in French  ;D

I've got plenty more where those came from... I don't normally go looking for trouble, it usually knows were to find me.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

feppe

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »

Maybe it helps being Finnish - nobody knows anything about us so nobody knows if they should hate or love us :P

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:45:48 pm »

In general, if you know just a few words of French and bother to actually use them appropriately, will make a huge difference. I've heard many stories from tourists about rudeness etc., but I've never had a problem there - except for an embarrassingly failed pickpocketing attempt.

Totally agree, although I didn't get pick-pocketed, we did have some hilariously funny attempts at the lost ring scam. Just priceless. My French is pathetic, but it's enough to try hard and even in central Paris the locals turn out to be pretty friendly. And the prices are like any other major world city -- very high, but that's expected. Plenty of decent 2-star hotels for less than 150 euros a night, and street food is both excellent and inexpensive.

The Metro system is terrific, and cheap. With a good metro system map and a carnet of ten tickets (less than US$20), you can get around the city very easily. Everything is a 5-10 minute walk from a Metro station. We always felt very safe walking and using Metro, even very late at night.

If you'd like a typical Paris street scene, check out Rue Cler. It's about two blocks of markets and cafes a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower. Quite charming, although we did almost get run over by cars flouting the pedestrians-only rule.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

francois

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 03:36:58 am »

That could be the case, but it's not enforced much. I've spent several evenings in Paris over the years taking night shots on a tripod. Most recently a few weeks ago, one shot on the very crowded Petit Pont next to Notre Dame, and I wasn't the only one with a tripod. I usually stay in place for ten mins or so, but don't travel with an entourage :) Haven't really paid attention whether there are cops around.
I've never been bothered in the evening either but in some heavily crowded locations I've seen cops being more "active". From what I learned, getting a permit is neither easy nor immediate.

Now, if you want to get some experience with the cops, try to take a few photos of the US embassy (even without a tripod)!

Ah, pickpockets... this is a real problem. Last year a saw a couple of US tourists in Jardin des Tuileries. A pickpocket was trying to search the pockets while talking to them. I managed to move the guy away but the tourists were incredulous. They couldn't believe that such a young guy could present any problem. I guess they thought that I was paranoid ;~)

Anyway, Paris is a wonderful place for any kind of photography.
Francois

cyriljay

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:09:21 pm »

Excellent advice, don't stay for too long in a specific location. Using a tripod in Paris without a permit is prohibited (that was more than ten years ago, so it might have changed).
[/quote

Yes, the rule is only in paticular ares like in certain parks (Luxembourg , Cheateau de Versailles)  under  Etiols Des Charles de Gaulle, in some crowed public places, to use a tripod mounted heavy camers and light boxes and reflectors. hand held reflectors and  any hand held cameras are OK. providing you don't hang around long or less  time in one place  to minimize disturbans in public resort ares .You can do your shooting almost any where in Paris. All the corners are beautiful , and I  think if you can add some of the land marks of the city to a memorable shooting that is great.

There are good sujestions already and about the transport ,taxis are cheaper in Paris (than here in London) and quite reasonable. If you can talk to a driver to pay something  like flat rate with out a meater reading to giving the chosen places that might work better. But that is only a chance.. you can choose a buplic transport  for shoter distance.

llcopperworth

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:11 am »

here's one example

http://www.studiocabrelli.com/blog/2011/04/cinthya-ken-mariage-et-portraits-a-paris-le-2-avril-2011/

unsure about permissions, wouldn't of course recommend a big setup with tripods, lightboxes, etc... but one is unlikely to get into significant trouble - the worst that can happen is some underling in some kind of uniform asking you to move. In that case, either you just do that and start again a bit further or, if you know French, you say something like "Juste deux ou trois photos et nous partons, promis. Mes amis sont venus de si loin pour Paris!". I'd say that unless there is a significant crew or disturbance, or as you said, massive grass trampling, the general attitude is very tolerant towards weddings.

There are some great pictures there. Particularly the ones of the bride on Champs!
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up