Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom White Balance or Color Correction filters. Which is best  (Read 1358 times)

donbga

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever compared which method is superior using a DSLR.

Creating a custom white balance or using color correction filters for tungsten light.

Recently I had an acquaintance insist that a custom white balance is inferior to using color correction filters for tungsten light because the blue channel will always be underexposed and noisy with CWB.

I was a bit challenged by his position since I've never tested it. And even if I wanted to compare I don't have the proper CC filtration. My experienced with CWB and tungsten is that it works though not all colors maybe perfect.

Any insights about this?

AvidVisionary

Re: Custom White Balance or Color Correction filters. Which is best
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

Personally I would go with the custom white balance. Because where ever you are, you will always get the right colour using CWB. I have no experience with the filter.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:35 am »

Yes, regarding quality (not shutter speed) using CC filters (80A, B, C, FL-D and so on) is better than simply pushing blue channel.

hjulenissen

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:23:09 am »

In principle, a filter that "neutralize" the scene color so that each sensor channel can be fully exposed should allow better dynamic range in each color channel.

The filter may introduce flaws of its own.

Also, the desired _target_ WB may affect if the difference will be visible. If the scene has a "blue" channel that is 2 stops below the other channels, and you dont want to amplify that channel, even though blue will have 2 stops worse SNR, that may not be visible. Then sensor r/g/b is not the same as display/print r/g/b.

-h
Pages: [1]   Go Up