What are you planning with these? If you're doing one or two for yourself or friends, just have somebody do it for you and pay up. By the time you get the supplies and go through enough materials to get even acceptable results you'll have spent as much if not more. If you're looking to market them, I'd still have a couple done commercially and see what your sales success is compared to standard mounting/framing. If buyers are swarming over facemounts of prints you were having trouble selling, then go ahead and tackle the learning curve. Also, you may not even like how your images work with these. I thought I might go with the facemounts but did a test with the same image on facemount, canvas and paper and decided I didn't care for it with my work, even though I find it effective for some (other people's) images.
Rob P