Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bron Para FB with a Profoto Ringflash  (Read 2143 times)

GordonW

Bron Para FB with a Profoto Ringflash
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »

I have been considering a para umbrella and really like the construction of the Bron FB over the Profoto unit. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a profoto ringlight work with a FB, and would it focus correctly? The flashtube extends beyond the rim in the Bron ringflash 3200j in P configuration, which doesn't look possible in the profoto ring. I don't think it is possible, so what about Bron connector conversion to work with my Profoto Pro7a pack? Is this just crazy talk or is it possible?

My other option is to simply go with a total Broncolor system trade out, but that might be just as crazy. I went with Profoto because from what I have seen is that the flash duration of a Profoto generator is shorter at mid-high output than the Bron. Any thoughts on that?

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Bron Para FB with a Profoto Ringflash
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:22:43 am »

I have been considering a para umbrella and really like the construction of the Bron FB over the Profoto unit. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a profoto ringlight work with a FB, and would it focus correctly? The flashtube extends beyond the rim in the Bron ringflash 3200j in P configuration, which doesn't look possible in the profoto ring. I don't think it is possible, so what about Bron connector conversion to work with my Profoto Pro7a pack? Is this just crazy talk or is it possible?

My other option is to simply go with a total Broncolor system trade out, but that might be just as crazy. I went with Profoto because from what I have seen is that the flash duration of a Profoto generator is shorter at mid-high output than the Bron. Any thoughts on that?

Hi Gordon,

all you say is quite correct. If you like the Para with the ringflash go for it and get a Grafit or Scoro pack for it. Though you might be able to find someone that will convert the bron ringflash for profoto, the Pro7a,s and Pro8 are using a higher voltage which might cause problems either electrical or colourwise shifting to blue. The most simplest (cheapest) solution might be to try out the para with a standard head, which can also be mounted into the para.
Regarding flash duration the Grafit and Scoro packs are really crisp due to their contruction of switching off the power. This is working perfectly from min to app. half power setting. Beyond that setting the profotos are getting faster because of their higher voltage. If you are in need of a short flash duration I can only repeat myself: You can app. half the time using twin tube heads.

Cheers, Ulf

GordonW

Re: Bron Para FB with a Profoto Ringflash
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:43:13 pm »

Hello Ulf,

Great to get a response on this one. The voltage issue was exactly the kind of thing I was concerned about. I have been considering using a standard head with the Para, but thought the ring was such an elegant feature of the Bron system. I do have access to the Bron system, so I think I will do a test with the System in place as designed, then do a comparison set with the Pro Head in the FB set up.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up