Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera for B&W fine art  (Read 12768 times)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Re: Camera for B&W fine art
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:19 am »

Also Nikon's D7000, which I use often. Do consider that with it's movie mode & live view.

Heard it's a great camera, but I would prefer the 5D full frame over this. Movie mode isn't critical since I have video gear exclusively for that purpose.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 10:05:51 am »

Check out Nik software's "Silver Efex Pro II". They have a few upcoming webinars on use of Silver Efex (B&W app).There is one on next week on Tuesday May 3rd. There is one for strickly B&W landscape, I think that might interest you the most. That is on May 27th by Rob Sheppard. Niksoftware's Capture NX2 for all Nikon RAW (nef files) gives U amazing control with their U-point technology. Also check out John Paul Caponigro's site & his tutorials, he IS really great @ B&W conversion specially landscape. Of course the camera & lens do matter but what you achive (read convert) is quite/very important too.
  I thought in Bombay "Photokina Labs" is excellent source for equip also now with Nikon increasing it's presence than the tech support should be great.... strange to give advice to guy from India @ tech support. ;) Been to India > Bombay, Jaipur, Simla, Nainital, Agra, Delhi... more than couple of times in my travels. What RobC suggested is quite true. RobC that Cafe U recall which was clos to CCI club is closed but quite a few good ones are there, but in those days Jazz was very good & popular. I saw Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington .. while I was there in Bombay.
      Looks like U are on right track, IMHO.
  Check out my website > they are not B&W but shot with Nikon D2X @ 5/7 yrs back. I have new expensive Gitzo tripod but these were shot with old heavy Bogen 3050. The reason I suggest Nikon is that in India as I understand Nikon is serviced better & easily resold, than Canon.

www.vintagecarphotography.com/
  Sean

Bombay… what’s in a name? A helluva lot, I’d say. I understand why they changed it, having asked that question of a correspondent in India, but to my mind, that’s throwing away the magic of heritage (as understood internationally today) for some parochial (helluva large parish, have to grant them that!) populist(?) political point.

Hell, even Francis Albert S. sang inviting us to that ‘bar in far Bombay’ without making the slightest reference to Mumbai.

Jazz. Yes, the love of my youth before Chuck came along and changed the world. Never could get my head around modern jazz, though, which always struck me as technical fireworks without soul; pyrotechnics for their own sake. I saw Satchmo in Glasgow once – with his All Stars – and though he (and they) were brilliant, it never quite captured the feeling of the Hot Five and Sevens. Probably wasn’t supposed to, but that’s where my own tastes lay at the time.

I find that my quick lines to youtube videos embrace Julie London quite a lot, as well as some post-Sun Jerry Lee Lewis warbles about older men feeling the loss of youth (Thirty-nine and holding is a favourite, but it’s been removed, at least from the link I used to find it with…) and digging deep into swamp pop rock comes up with some jewels, one such being Betty and Dupree, of which I discovered many versions, both sanitized and uncut. Willy DeVille had a great rendering which he sang in a blue light on a stage somewhere in the world, accompanied by a wonderful pianist whose blue notes could make you weep. The bass isn’t bad, either. That’s where jazz really hits: simple, straight-to-the heart sounds.

With all that stuff in the ether, no wonder I find it hard to get down to working on anything I actually shoot, though I have compromised by running two computers at the same time, regardless of the electricity bills.

I like your cars very much; glad to see somebody else who does not feel obliged to show every single detail. It was a constant struggle with fashion clients, that need for everything to be seen, whether it added to the whole or not.

Rob C

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

Bombay… what’s in a name? A helluva lot, I’d say. I understand why they changed it, having asked that question of a correspondent in India, but to my mind, that’s throwing away the magic of heritage (as understood internationally today) for some parochial (helluva large parish, have to grant them that!) populist(?) political point.

Eventually every name is lost or distorted...if that is any comfort. I love the slogan on the Lula home page. And my knowledge of Jazz is limited to Norah Jones. My music director gave me a list of great jazz albums to listen to, and I couldn't find even one of them in Mumbai. Maybe if it was Bombay, I might have!
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 06:37:39 pm »

Mike Johnston, publisher of "The Online Photographer" blog is a lover of jazz and old cars. Every now and then he writes about it. On jazz, I'd say he knows and has good taste. Check it out. Great site!
Edaurdo

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:33 pm »

Eduardo...that's a fantastic site. I wonder why it never shows up in any search results. Thanks for sharing!

SeanBK

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:08 am »

I like your cars very much; glad to see somebody else who does not feel obliged to show every single detail. It was a constant struggle with fashion clients, that need for everything to be seen, whether it added to the whole or not.

Rob C

Thanks for the complement @ cars. When the website was created that size seemed adequate but now....?
Though they are highly detailed, so ask away the image that might catch your fancy & I will dig them up & post 'em at larger size.
  Looks like we have quite similar taste in music & I am sure like me, U shrug your shoulders with those Rap guys with their rhyming dictionary & same metronome thru' the whole song.
 But too each is own. ::)

Sean
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up