Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Production news from Nikon  (Read 2470 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Production news from Nikon
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

Just spoke to our Nikon rep, apparently there is currently zero production for D3x, D3s, and D700 camera bodies, as well as high end telephoto primes.  Unclear as to other lenses.  He also wasn't sure when production could resume.  If you are in need of one of these bodies and can find one, may want to grab it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Production news from Nikon
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:43:46 pm »

Old news? According to the Nikon statment below, all plants in Northern Japan have been operational for 3 weeks, although probably not with a very high troughput:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2011/0331_01.htm

Cheers,
Bernard

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »

This from my Nikon rep today.  Currently there is no production of the items I mentioned.  This is a recent development.  (I'll admit it could be a rep that doesn't know what he's talking about, but we are out of all of these cameras except the floor display d3x and cannot currently get any and was told no idea when they will resume shipping.)

It seems the problem stems from some isolated parts that were being manufactured in the Sendai area, and no replacement has been found.  So despite the fact that production resumed after the quake (as noted in the statement from Nikon), that may have now changed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:42:23 pm by Wayne Fox »

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:11 am »

Heard exactly the same thing in the UK.  No availability of these cameras or lenses.  I have also heard that remaining stock is being kept for NPS members only by some dealers. :-[
David Watson ARPS

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Production news from Nikon and Canon
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »

Just spoke to the Canon rep today.  Sounds like were in a little better position than Nikon, but his words were expect them to go "dark" in about 60 days.  He recommended ordering what we can handle, as current inventory dries up they have no estimate when production will get back to normal.  There are already some models that are being listed as unavailable, such as 5d and 7d bodies (some still available in kits).

The effects of this are already obvious ... there is little discounting of most canon or nikon gear right now.  If you need it now or in the near future and you can find it, you might want to grab it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up