Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe  (Read 1840 times)

JimAscher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 398
    • Jim Ascher Photos
Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:41:42 am »

This, for me, is not an idle question, although for some it may smack of heresy.

Most (if not all) of us strive very hard to get the final edited image on our computer monitors to be reasonably duplicated in our ink-jet prints.  With the options these days of various sizes and qualities of LCD photoframes, why is the display of our edited photos on such photoframes not becoming more of a preferred method for displaying our photographs?

I work in black-and-white "miniatures" (prints on matte paper the maximum size obtainable on half a sheet of 8.5- by 11-inch Epson Hot Press Natural paper).  As discussed in another previous thread in this forum,  
the limitations of ink-jet printing work against the attainment of great detail and gradation in prints of such relatively small size.  However, on the LCD screen of a good-quality photoframe of comparable screen size to my prints, the image seems to fairly precisely match the image I have edited in Lightroom and/or Photoshop.  And this in recognition of the fact that most LCD photoframes accept only the JPEG format (although a few also accept other formats, such as TIF).   And also, since such photoframes are obtainable in sizes as large as 15-inch in diagonal, they can be comparable in size to the computer monitor on which I actually do my editing.  And no matter what their size, they can be easel- or wall-mounted for ease of display.

As we have allowed over recent years our photographic impulses to proceed with digital technology quite with a vengeance, are we perhaps stumbling (inexplicably?) somewhat over this last hurdle regarding digital display of our work.  If we're not so bound to tradition regarding film and the wet darkroom, why may we be still bound to the paper print?   I myself also am conflicted over this issue.  I would welcome, of course (otherwise I wouldn't have initiated this posting), other thoughts on the subject.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:14:39 pm by JimAscher »
Logged
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:02:51 pm »

Most digital frames are funky at best, low res, color so-so, small and expensive. Better bet is to put your photos on a flat-panel (LED/LCD) HD TV if you want good brilliance.

That said, small prints (5x7) are personal size, tangible, and require no tech or power to view once printed on paper. There's a timeless quality to an image on paper that just doen't cut it watching on any kind of display.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

JimAscher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 398
    • Jim Ascher Photos
Re: Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »

Larry:  I don't much disagree with you.  My newly-acquired 8-inch Sony though seems to be of fairly substantial construction and presents a very fine. brilliant black-and-white image.  With the exception of the electrical brick required to operate it (though some other makes run on rechargeable battery power), I find it far more portable than lugging around and handling multiple boxes of photos.  Something else I hadn't considered for similar portable digital display use would be an IPad, but then the expense goes up.     
Logged
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:37:10 am »

My last workshop (Shooting the West), I brought a selection of 10x15 prints for display, but what was really the thing that worked the best was my iPad. Bright, small, self-powered, and able to display not only by b&w well, but several of my eBooks that I normally hand-make, but each is larger than the iPad.

I figured that I saved 3-4 hours printing by simply downloading to the iPad. More convenient than bringing prints and more brilliance than a print. One of the best things in the field, though, was the ability to download my images to it and show folks what I shot during the field sessions. More convenient and lighter than packing the MacBook.

I'll have both my iPad, books and prints with me during my next two workshops. It will be interesting since I'm the cutting-edge person in the cadre of instructors and many of the students are into film and a few are view camera shooters and print with platinum.

So far, it's a different experience using an iPad vs. actual prints. One is tactile and requires no tech; the other is bleeding edge, so to speak, and displays images much like a transparency on a light table and at roughly 5x7, is a nice size to show.
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

pflower

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 476
Re: Ink-Jet Print vs. LCD Photoframe
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:32 pm »

Just saw this after posting another thread about the inability to show photos on an ipad in the order that I want when using the in-built photo app.

Your post suggests you might have a solution to this problem.  Can you please set out what and how you are doing with the ipad? 

Thanks

My last workshop (Shooting the West), I brought a selection of 10x15 prints for display, but what was really the thing that worked the best was my iPad. Bright, small, self-powered, and able to display not only by b&w well, but several of my eBooks that I normally hand-make, but each is larger than the iPad.

I figured that I saved 3-4 hours printing by simply downloading to the iPad. More convenient than bringing prints and more brilliance than a print. One of the best things in the field, though, was the ability to download my images to it and show folks what I shot during the field sessions. More convenient and lighter than packing the MacBook.

I'll have both my iPad, books and prints with me during my next two workshops. It will be interesting since I'm the cutting-edge person in the cadre of instructors and many of the students are into film and a few are view camera shooters and print with platinum.

So far, it's a different experience using an iPad vs. actual prints. One is tactile and requires no tech; the other is bleeding edge, so to speak, and displays images much like a transparency on a light table and at roughly 5x7, is a nice size to show.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up